Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Water only detox

Replies

• kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    ohhello35 wrote: »
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...

Didn't Queen Beyoncé do this for a movie role? Dream girls? She lost a gang of weight on it. Either way sounds like hell. It's a no for me.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    a 3 day water fast dramatically increases expression of FOXO, increases autophagy, and provides a variety of health and metabolic benefits that are not otherwise easily attainable. In plain english, your body eats the old/bad cells and starts repairing itself in ways that it does not ever do to a significant extent if you maintain a fed state constantly.

Sources? Peer-reviewed journals?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ohhello35 wrote: »
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...

Didn't Queen Beyoncé do this for a movie role? Dream girls? She lost a gang of weight on it. Either way sounds like hell. It's a no for me.

Yeah, Beyonce is most responsible for the popularity of the Master Cleanse, I believe.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    a 3 day water fast dramatically increases expression of FOXO, increases autophagy, and provides a variety of health and metabolic benefits that are not otherwise easily attainable. In plain english, your body eats the old/bad cells and starts repairing itself in ways that it does not ever do to a significant extent if you maintain a fed state constantly.

Sources? Peer-reviewed journals?

He used science words. That means it's true.

No citations needed.

/s
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Why do detoxes persist? I don't get it.

Clever marketing.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Why do detoxes persist? I don't get it.

Because of impatient people wanting quick fixes and believing the internet.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I LIKE
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    I'm guessing our livers and fat contain various chemicals we've injested, but I can't imagine how a water diet would "flush" anything except water.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Colon hydro sessions anyone?
    All these diseases yet noone has made the connection to even try the option of a fast..to see for themselves

Seeing for yourself only begets a post hoc ergo propter hoc analysis.

That's how woo persists, not how science works.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Going without food for up to 2-3 days would not be dangerous if you are healthy, but why would you want to? What's the point? I mean I had to go without food for nearly 3 days a couple of months ago for the purpose of medical testing, but other than that I see no reason to put yourself through this. I admit I did fall for the "water fast" stuff in the past (which landed me in the hospital with a bowel obstruction after re-introducing food after a prolonged period of not eating) but now that I look back I think to myself, what was I really hoping to gain from that? Back then I was hoping to gain "enlightenment" and I did... my hospital stay was very enlightening and taught me not to jump head first into everything I read.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    All these diseases yet noone has made the connection to even try the option of a fast..to see for themselves

What about colon hydro therapy? It's an unpleasant and unnecessary water enema.

What diseases? Fasting cures diseases?

Your suggestion that people randomly try things just to see if they work speaks volumes about the plethora of things you've asked about in the forums the last few weeks...
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Your suggestion that people randomly try things just to see if they work speaks volumes about the plethora of things you've asked about in the forums the last few weeks...

Suddenly the wormwood thread makes more sense....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Going without food for up to 2-3 days would not be dangerous if you are healthy, but why would you want to? What's the point?

I agree. It also would probably interfere with many people's workout schedules. I somewhat scheduled around Good Friday last week as it was (as I like to do more of a fast than the required one), and that's a religious thing.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

What is concerning to me is that there seems to be this common theme of randomly researched tips for weight loss and dealing with afflictions, always with the message of "try it, what could it hurt". That suggestion is not only irresponsible it is potentially dangerous if people try these alternative therapies without medical guidance, consideration of contraindications with prescribed medications, etc.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

What is concerning to me is that there seems to be this common theme of randomly researched tips for weight loss and dealing with afflictions, always with the message of "try it, what could it hurt". That suggestion is not only irresponsible it is potentially dangerous if people try these alternative therapies without medical guidance, consideration of contraindications with prescribed medications, etc.

I agree with you 100%. Lately certain posters are pushing people to experiment things they claim "could work". What happens if these people wind up in the hospital? Some of the ideas are really strange too. When posters who know better shoot this advice full of holes, they are accused of bullying----pleeeeeeeeeeease. For the lurkers--watch the posters that have a large number of posts. They usually know their stuff.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

One doesn't necessarily need to observe a person's high colonic to know what the individual is full of.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Your body is this amazing organism that has these amazing organs that detox your body for you. There's no need to do some ridiculous DETOX to detox your body. It does it automatically. You can help it along by not eating so much *kitten*, but you don't need to detox. And water is really all you should be drinking.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Your body is this amazing organism that has these amazing organs that detox your body for you. There's no need to do some ridiculous DETOX to detox your body. It does it automatically. You can help it along by not eating so much kitten, but you don't need to detox. And water is really all you should be drinking.

You were doing good up until there.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    In my opinion, eating clean is the best form of detox there is. You don't have to starve yourself to do it. :-)

But...I already wash my food. I'm good, right?

The absinthe cleanse, now that I can totally support.