Need help understanding lack of weight loss

13»

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Please explain how a diet Pepsi which is Carmel colored with zero calories would stop weight loss ?!
    ( it wouldn't. This is misinformation.weight loss clinics are notorious for spreading around bad info.)

That. Is. Terrifying.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    amyn73 wrote: »
    I think a talk with your doctor might help. It may be something medical. And, btw, I think the rude comments are unnecessay. If you aren't positively adding to the discussion, why respond?

You would be amazed at how much misinformation shows up on this board on a daily basis (I.e., drinking things that are caramel-colored can impede weight loss?????). People here who have lost weight (and have a healthy dose of skepticism) point out questionable advice (or advice that is blatantly incorrect). We don't sugar-coat things, but no one has been rude.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Please explain how a diet Pepsi which is Carmel colored with zero calories would stop weight loss ?!
    ( it wouldn't. This is misinformation.weight loss clinics are notorious for spreading around bad info.)

That. Is. Terrifying.

Yep
    There's one here that perscibes pills to people who aren't even classified as obese and gives them these special b12 shots. They love spreading around misinformation, it insures that they will have a constant flow of people who truly don't understand how weight loss works.
    They make their money from the desperate and naïve so they want to keep people uneducated.
    They make up bogus charts of DOS and DONTS like " carbs will make you gain weight " "if you don't eat every 3 hrs your body stores fat" "fat makes you fat" and so on. My bosses son is currently building a case against this local clinic. His client was 155 lbs, 5'6 but was prescribed amphetamine pills for weight loss and put on a 900 cal per day diet. She was given special shots also. Clearly this didnt work out well. Her family filed suit for the untimely death of their loved one by neglect of the doctor. He was out to make a buck and didn't care who his bad info hurt. She paid a total of 625$ and lost her life.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I am currently going to a weight loss clinic, they say do not drink anything caramel colored. So props to you for cutting out the diet pepsi. I was a tea/vanilla coke drinker for a long time, it's a very tough change to make. I also have an office job, which causes me not to eat and puts my body into starvation mode. When I was counting calories several months ago I figured out in the evenings i was eating a lot more than I thought. I had a bad habit of taste testing and mindlessly putting food in my mouth with out even realizing it. Of course I couldn't see any change even when logging no more than a 1000 calories a day. (My 14 yr old started pointing it out to me).

Tea is caramel colored? I wonder why you can't drink caramel colored drinks. That sounds so odd to me! I drink a lot of tea steeped from tea bags with no sugar and I think it's pretty healthy. Maybe they mean processed drinks with artificial

To the poster - please please log everything every day. It helped me so much! You WILL see results if you use the logging portion of the program and if you stay within your daily totals. Also be careful about eating working out calories back. I would not eat back more than 150 workout calories. This program has really taught me how mathematical (and slow) weight loss is, but it can be done!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016

That. Is. Terrifying.

Yep
    There's one here that perscibes pills to people who aren't even classified as obese and gives them these special b12 shots. They love spreading around misinformation, it insures that they will have a constant flow of people who truly don't understand how weight loss works.
    They make their money from the desperate and naïve so they want to keep people uneducated.
    They make up bogus charts of DOS and DONTS like " carbs will make you gain weight " "if you don't eat every 3 hrs your body stores fat" "fat makes you fat" and so on. My bosses son is currently building a case against this local clinic. His client was 155 lbs, 5'6 but was prescribed amphetamine pills for weight loss and put on a 900 cal per day diet. She was given special shots also. Clearly this didnt work out well. Her family filed suit for the untimely death of their loved one by neglect of the doctor. He was out to make a buck and didn't care who his bad info hurt. She paid a total of 625$ and lost her life.

What a terrible story! :o
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    I am currently going to a weight loss clinic, they say do not drink anything caramel colored. So props to you for cutting out the diet pepsi. I was a tea/vanilla coke drinker for a long time, it's a very tough change to make. I also have an office job, which causes me not to eat and puts my body into starvation mode. When I was counting calories several months ago I figured out in the evenings i was eating a lot more than I thought. I had a bad habit of taste testing and mindlessly putting food in my mouth with out even realizing it. Of course I couldn't see any change even when logging no more than a 1000 calories a day. (My 14 yr old started pointing it out to me).

So you went into starvation mode every morning then out every evening when you were over eating. Starvation mode is a myth. There are several threads on it here. Diet drink, plain tea, and black coffee don't impact weight loss. It's about accurately logging and being in a deficit over time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    jswigart wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating per day? If you haven't already, start weighing your food and tracking every bite you eat for its caloric content. If your female keep your calories down to 1200 ish if male don't go below 1500.
    The one epiphany that I have gotten is its all about the balance between calories in and calories out. Don't be discouraged. Must keep on trying. J

umm 1200 for a lot of females is too low and too aggressive. some can lose weight on even more than 1600. it depends on your height,weight,age, etc. you should not recommend the lowest amount of calories that FB allows,its not a one size fits all type of thing.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member

Oh god. Starvation mode must be why anorexics are that skinny.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi OP

So it seems you have made your way to a calorie counting site

Why don't you use it to count calories

You'll be amazed at the results, far better than guesswork and cutting out zero calorie drinks
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Hang in there! I am 45 and in the first 5 weeks lost only 1kg despite doing everything everyone here is telling you to do. I had many "what's the point?" moments. But suddenly the weight starting coming off and I feel and look better despite only seeing a small movement in the scales for do long. My husband reminded me that this happens every time I lose weight and once I persevere it pays off. Determined to keep it off this time! I do believe that it's harder to shed weight in middle-age than when you're younger, possibly due to hormonal factors.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member

Not sure what's worse: that there are these dangerous quack "clinics" out there or that people swallow this garbage so easily.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Not currently logging but I guarantee you my calorie intake is less than previous due to my daily habit changes. Point is: eating less, drinking water and exercising more is getting same result as no exercise and poor eating habits. There has to be physiology reasons such as muscle gain and water intake but I must be wrong. Will try logging my calories more.

Some bloat can occur due to change in exercise regimen. It lasts anywhere from a week to a month.
    Increase weight from drinking more water should not occur - if it does, see a doctor - it's a sign of cardiovascular/renal issues. Weight actually normally drops a little with increases water due to improved renal transport of ions.

Unless you are significantly training you aren't gaining much muscle. Especially in a few weeks of exercise.

Log, take time. Weight will come off.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member

Honestly I cringe when I read stuff like this. What an utter load of cobblers.

You can drink any colour you blimmin well like as long as you create a calorie deficit.

"Starvation mode" in the context that you use it in is a complete myth.

It's more likely that when you didn't eat much at work you unwittingly made up for it by having far too many calories at dinner time.

The reason you didn't lose weight is because you didn't create a calorie deficit, either through eating or exercising. You still ate more than your body needed or you would not have gained weight.

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member

This is misinformation

Of course they are. That's how they make their money. These people have a vested interest to make something very simple (CICO) complicated by creating arbitrary rules.... "No yellow carbs on Tuesdays after 7pm" etc.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member

I have lost over 50lbs drinking plenty of caramel coloured stuff.

Starvation mode is not real in the context you are talking about. No amount of skipping meals will cause your weight loss to slow or stop.

Calorie counting is the only thing that matters.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    acidosaur wrote: »

I have lost over 50lbs drinking plenty of caramel coloured stuff.

Starvation mode is not real in the context you are talking about. No amount of skipping meals will cause your weight loss to slow or stop.

Calorie counting is the only major thing that matters.

FIFY.
    All things that lead to long term adherence matter and it is certainly possible to lose weight without calorie counting.

But that's like trying to put a nail into the wall without a hammer. Calorie counting is an efficient tool.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    rachfking wrote: »
    Hang in there! I am 45 and in the first 5 weeks lost only 1kg despite doing everything everyone here is telling you to do. I had many "what's the point?" moments. But suddenly the weight starting coming off and I feel and look better despite only seeing a small movement in the scales for do long. My husband reminded me that this happens every time I lose weight and once I persevere it pays off. Determined to keep it off this time! I do believe that it's harder to shed weight in middle-age than when you're younger, possibly due to hormonal factors.

Well done to you :) and good luck in maintaining it this time!
    I will disagree with the fact that it's harder as you age (unless there are any health issues) the premise is the same and although there is a metabolic shift then generally it is not to such a degree that it would hugely impact on weight loss. Invariably, difficulty in losing weight at middle age is more likely down to lifestyle changes i.e. retirement, less activity, kids moving out, comfort eating etc.