Bad posture

13»

Replies

• I tend to slouch too. 2 things help - weight training (a strong core = better posture) and as others have said, making a concerted effort to think about and correct your posture throughout the day. Even sitting down, you can sit up straight with your back against the chair for example.
    With fashion models they spend months correcting this (because models are very tall and tall girls tend to slouch to appear shorter) with special posture coaches and classes and it doesn't take that long to fix. You just need to be mindful of your body.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I have good posture compared to a lot of people (a mother who stressed it, 25+ years of horseback riding, never playing video games, and now ballroom dancing). But even with all that going for me I DO constantly do posture checks, particularly if I've been working on the computer at work a lot or I'm tired. I run a mental checklist and correct things. All. The. Time. So, if it makes you feel better, yes, a lot of good posture comes from remembering to think about it and correct it. Constantly. You have to make it a habit.

All the being said, certain things do help improve it. Yoga (try getting DVDs from the library or Netflix to start). Pilates. Some lifting IF you use proper form. Dancing (ballroom or ballet, probably jazz. Not sure Zumba will have the emphasis on alignment). Pretty much anything that teaches you how to properly stack and align your body will help correct your posture. If you're in college, check to see if they offer anything you can take for free or a minimal charge.

Also, keep in mind posture is everything, not just your shoulders. I've learned recently in dancing that a lot of posture sins in the back and shoulders actually stem from our pelvis. Think about bringing your belly button toward your spine or rotating your pelvis back. See if that corrects things without the pain.

And last, a secret weapon from riding....there's a product called a "Shoulders Back" made by Equifit. It works on the principle of muscle memory and puts you in the right spot. You can wear it under your shirt, all day, and no one will know. I have a friend who was struggling a lot with her posture in the saddle, and wore one in conjunction with a back brace, every ride, and it did start to get her lined up right. I've used one myself and have been pleased with the results.

Simple things like remembering to look up and think tall can do a lot of good. Carrying yourself with confidence (even if you're faking it) automatically improve your posture. But, at the end of the day, a lot comes from habit.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    When I try to stand straight (without pushing anything that makes it uncomfortable) it kinda feels like I press together the vertebrae and stretch out the stomach to chest area...kinda. Maybe you all know what I mean but I literally know nothing about this, and I've never had good posture, so I just went ahead and made a weird paint-picture to explain what I mean + a photo of me standing like that. I don't try to push back my shoulders or anything, since that is uncomfortable. Would it be mindful enough if I try to keep that posture when awake? Or do I need to try press back my shoulders?

Do what you can. The ball and pectoral stretch is the best treatment i know for slouching (it's my job to help people fix their posture). Just so you know, people with your type of posture who don't do anything about it usually develop neck pain in their 20s, followed by more painful issues in their 30s & 40s, like a herniated cervical disc or thoracic outlet syndrome. The pain usually sends them to doctors and physical therapists for several years, and they often need pain meds to sleep. Is a $20 ball a good investment? I think so. :)

By the way, the "Shoulders Back" is a good reminder, but it's costly. If you're crafty, you can make something similar with an elastic strap, shaped into something like this:
    amazon.com/Posture-Brace-Posturific-Brace-com-Medium/dp/B00DP589VO/
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Here is some food for thought. I thought my daughter's posture was bad and kept telling her to sit up straight. Until the day the school did scoliosis testing and found she had a curve in her spine. She went thru surgery since it was so bad. I'm saying this because you may have a curve to your spine that you wont be able to straighten. I would consult a Dr if you cant fix it with exercise. It could just be bad posture, or it could be something more. Some food for thought.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    op: look up kyphosis
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    I have had the same problem. Though i think my problem was from being really overweight and carrying so much weight in my boobs and stomach. I have lost 50 lbs and make a conscious effort to stop slouching when i discovered i was developing a hunchback!!! I went to physical therapy, you could check to see if your insurance covers it. I also notice my shoulders slump or round when im nervous.. Like if i make myself smaller i wont be noticed or something.

A year has passed and i notice when i slouch easier and it reminds me to get into the right position. I have also started doing yoga and that has been a huge help!! Youtube has tons of free videos. Good luck!!!
  • ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Cherimoose, so all the other exercises/stretches etc that I've been linked to here is nothing compared to that ball? I need to ball to get somewhere? I mean, I did not compare getting the ball with not doing anything at all, I just wondered if the ball will really be necessary if I do a ton of other exercises. But if it is, I'll put some money away from it.
    I am not very crafty and I don't know how tight I should make a band like that, but I agree that the shoulders back was a *bit* expensive, hehe.

The school nurse checked all students backs when we were 13, I had bad posture at that time as well but she never commented my back/spine, I've also been to hospital for a bunch of other reasons and no one has ever commented my back.

And about the kyphosis, does it really look that bad? Looking at the google images I'd say that that's just a bit...I dunno, why is that even suggested?

I'm not sure what you mean with if insurance covers it, Unicorn, a physical therapist visit would maybe cost me around 15-25 dollars.
    I will see if I can find one and how much it would cost, not sure what they'd say or tell me to do, but I guess it can't hurt.

I want to start with yoga and pilates. But in another thread people said that it was important I did it the right way, meaning I should not do those alone at home the first times, so I will start with that when I have enough money to go to some classes.
    Dancing... I'm not sure how I would like that. I like watching it and dancing by myself, but dancing with someone... that is a bit too close to me.

Thank you all for the replies, I've been trying to stand straight when I walk around these past few days, and that's fine. But as soon as I start trying to do something about the shoulders I not only feel weird, I look weird too, as if I am pushing my chest really far forward. I'm not sure if I want to invest in a shoulders back, but maybe I'll have to. I think I will give the exercises some time and see if it gets better, else I'll go to the next level.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Cherimoose, so all the other exercises/stretches etc that I've been linked to here is nothing compared to that ball?

I've looked at every other suggestion here and ball is the best method i've found that corrects postural kyphosis (the most common form). The gym-grade ball i linked to won't mush out into an egg shape like the cheaper balls, but you can try a cheap one from thrift stores, craigslist, garage sales, etc. You'll need a pump + adapter too. Fill until it's super tight.

Have you been doing the pectoral stretch hourly? That alone can make a huge difference. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

The school nurse checked all students backs when we were 13, I had bad posture at that time as well but she never commented my back/spine, I've also been to hospital for a bunch of other reasons and no one has ever commented my back.

And about the kyphosis, does it really look that bad? Looking at the google images I'd say that that's just a bit...I dunno, why is that even suggested?

Kyphosis comes in all levels from mild to sever. And it can begin or progress at any age. In your pictures you're back doesn't look that bad to me, but everything you are saying and your pictures suggests you fit the definition of having kyphosis. slight kyphosis is easily maintained with posture control , pilates, yoga, etc. its something you should be aware of Left unmaintained it can progress over the years and become serious.

Just by going to the hospital for something they wont notice a spine curve unless you ask them to specifically check for it or complain of symptoms related to something spinal. And being checked by your school at 13 is irrelevant .
  • ErikaAurelia
    I guess I'll see if the physical therapist can check that for me. I'll put some money away for the ball when I have money. Till then I'll just do the other exercises + trying to stand straight (and sit straight).

Thanks again, people. It will be nice to see improvement, whenever I'll do that.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I'll explain a little exercise that was like a huge lightbulb for me since you'll be doing exercises before you see someone. I am embarrassed to say that I've been through physio multiple times and still never knew this one, so it might help you, too. It has changed my form on my back exercises (low traps, particularly) immensely and helps avoid the horrible pain I get with upper-mid back exercises. I have problems pulling my shoulders back fully because of those back muscles being stretched and too weak (I have a back/neck problem).

Lie on your stomach with your arms stretched out like Superman. Now use the muscles below your shoulder blades --as far below them as you can manage-- to move your scapulas downwards. It'll be a relatively small movement. That's what people mean when they say shoulders/scapulas 'back and down'. That's the 'down' part. I always thought they meant just not a shrug.

I do a couple of sets of those before doing my mid-back or shoulder exercises as an activation exercise before I do the lifts, to help me visualize the weak muscles I'm trying to concentrate on.

There is also a squeezing of the shoulder blades together in some other exercises, but that one is much more self-explanatory to me ;)
  • ErikaAurelia
    Thank you for the tip, I'll try that later today :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member

Find an Alexander Technique teacher in you area and start taking sessions.

Finally somebody.

THAT!!!!