Bad habit: Drinking your calories

124»

Replies

• TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    It's already been mentioned a few times, but I also want to add that the fully-sweetened chocolate almond milk is wonderful in coffee and won't have many calories. If you don't want the sweetness, the unsweetened adds a nice richness.

• WinoGelato wrote: »
    I love milk. Wholesome delicious cold milk.

Discovering I was drinking about 600 calories a day in milk was delightful. Now I limit myself to 1. If I get to budget in calories for pizza I have to budget in calories for a glass of 2% too. Pizza isn't pizza without milk beer.

FIFY

I dislike beer. I like tequila. Pizza and tequila aren't especially good together.
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    I dont usually drink unless on holiday. Used to be white russians. Now its vanilla vodka and diet sierra mist. Tastes like cake
  • mgeshwilm
    mgeshwilm Posts: 23 Member
    I love my Bloody Mary - it counts as 2 vegetables with the V8! Also, I tend to cut back in other areas to allow myself my nightly white wine. Sometimes I will do extra treadmill time to make "room" for the calories.
  • mgeshwilm
    mgeshwilm Posts: 23 Member
    I'm interested in knowing if anyone feels that the diet soda makes you hungrier. I hate water, but I use a little fruit juice or the liquid flavoring (Mio or similar) to flavor it. Would that do the same thing?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    mgeshwilm wrote: »
    I'm interested in knowing if anyone feels that the diet soda makes you hungrier. I hate water, but I use a little fruit juice or the liquid flavoring (Mio or similar) to flavor it. Would that do the same thing?

My experience is no. I've heard people say that some do feel hungry or crave sweets but I've been drinking Diet Soda for 25 years and have never felt hungrier or craved sweets, I drank it when I was a skinny high school kid, when I was gaining weight during and after college, when I lost weight here for the last two years and now that I'm maintaining. I would say try it and see if it impacts you.
  • The best thing I did was to give up coffee with all the stuff in it and switch to tea with a single Splenda. I get the caffeine. A bit of hydration. Tasty. And a solid hot drink for the morning that you're used to.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I still drink wine and beer (IPA and dark ales)...though not daily...I haven't found it a big deal especially if I am going to the gym that day...it is only on the occasional weekend that I'll have more than one or two drinks.

Coffee...just a dash of milk...but normally I'd have an espresso...nothing added.

Never anything added to tea.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member

No, in fact if I'm feeling hungry (read: bored) at work and water isn't cutting it I have a diet pop and that'll keep me going until it's time for a snack or lunch time.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    There's this coffee protein drink in the fridge at my local grocery store, and sometimes when I'm there, having raced around with my kids all morning in the heat, there is nothing better than that coffee protein drink.
    I also have a small skinny caffe latte each morning, and I drink alcohol 3-4 nights a week (2-3 drinks) and all of this is well worth it to me, and I don't feel deprived food-wise. I drink lots of water, black earl grey tea, and diet soft drink, otherwise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

My experience is no. I've heard people say that some do feel hungry or crave sweets but I've been drinking Diet Soda for 25 years and have never felt hungrier or craved sweets, I drank it when I was a skinny high school kid, when I was gaining weight during and after college, when I lost weight here for the last two years and now that I'm maintaining. I would say try it and see if it impacts you.
    My own experience is YES. I think she's right, try it and see. YMMV.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I have about 16 oz of milk daily. Skim, because that's what I prefer (taste-wise). It fits into my calories, and I'm happy for it. Other than that I don't feel most drinks are worth my calorie budget. The exception is those 10-calorie sodas... or super-low-calorie water flavorings. I love both.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    The 1st entry on my food diary nearly everyday is 244 calories for 2 cups of 2% milk. I use it in my decaf coffee. All. Day. Long. It is the only beverage I drink that has calories and I have no plans of giving it up. Milk is nice for protein, calcium and potassium. Plus it tastes great.
  • CFoust72591
    CFoust72591 Posts: 62 Member
    I have switched to diet soda, only once a day, then at dinner a caffeine free diet soda, and I have completely given up other drinks besides water. I think I had wine ONCE since I've started losing, and it fit in my calories so it was like dessert.
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    When I joined MFP, one of the biggest shockers was that I was drinking 200 calorie coffees every morning. Creamer, sugar, cocoa powder....yikes. Just thinking about it now makes me cringe. I still drink coffee, but I've switched to Vanilla Almond Milk instead of vanilla creamer, and I've recently started using Stevia instead of sugar (I'm hoping I'll get used to the bitter, chemically taste, but so far it's not working out too well!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This. I quit it for a while to see if it mattered and now don't drink a lot, but for me it does not matter/affect what else I want to eat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

Caffeine can do that sometimes.

I switched to flavored seltzer (in Summer really), now I can't drink sodas and juices because it's too sweet for me.