Cow milk - is it safe for humans to drink? Why the hype?

Replies

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2016

Or vegan. Or some just like the taste of the alternate milks.

But yeah. Personal preference.

I'm not vegan but I never could stand the taste of cow's milk. My mother used to put chocolate milk mix in the milk to get me to drink it. I'd eat the chocolate chunks at the bottom of the glass and leave the milk. On the other hand I love unsweetened flax, soy, almond or coconut milk. Rice milk is okay but even the unsweetened rice milk has too many carbs.

ETA: Cheese, now, is a different subject. Cheese . . . yum!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    coryh00 wrote: »
    Lower carbs and calories in my almond milk than regular milk.

True, but also virtually no protein.

Which is why I don't drink almond milk. If I'm going to drink my calories, there's going to be some benefit to it other than just calories. Milk goes in my protein shakes, makes the flavor/texture better, adds more protein plus significant calcium. I'm not wasting calories on almond/rice/whatever "milk" which has virtually no benefit.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Everybody that I know that has ever consumed milk of any type ever in their lives is either dead or dying... so no, it's not safe... at all.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Everybody that I know that has ever consumed milk of any type ever in their lives is either dead or dying... so no, it's not safe... at all.

Everybody who hasn't consumed milk of any type is also dead or dying. So not consuming milk is equally unsafe.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Difficulty digesting milk is insanely common, especially considering that there's this thing that claims it to be an entire food group. I always chuckle when I see one of these threads because they consistently get dogpiled by people with lactose/allergy issues and it's so predictable.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Everybody who hasn't consumed milk of any type is also dead or dying. So not consuming milk is equally unsafe.

tumblr_inline_o1tky0yiKT1se71jh_500.gif
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

I suspect my dog may be getting up in the middle of the night and pouring himself a tall glass of milk....but I can't be sure.

I mean, my cat was pretty happy to get milk, all the way up until she dropped dead of old age...come to think of it, my dog was happy to get it, too, when he could fight off the cat.

I have been owned by 5 cats so far in my lifetime and 3 of them were lactose intolerant, one so bad that she would barf after licking my yogurt carton after I finished. Apparently this is very common in cats

Same with my cats. They don't tend to have lactose persistence, and I suspect most mammals do not. Those of us who do are super lucky! (Thanks, ancestors.)
    My cat vomits every single time when she has milk, but is fine with cream.

my poor dogs are literally obsessed wth milk but everytime i give them a little within like 10 mins they are farting the worst smell i have ever smelt idk about their poo haha. I feel bad cause they love it soo much.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    almond milk has plenty of protein. plus why worry about protein. milk is not worth all the pus that it contains. gross.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    almond milk has plenty of protein. plus why worry about protein. milk is not worth all the pus that it contains. gross.

Silk Almond milk has 1 gm of protein per serving, generic skim milk 8 gm. The protein in almond milk is a rounding difference.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    well cows milk has puss in it. :/ The same type that is in zits.

Cow's milk has white blood cells in it (not pus). Human milk has white blood cells in it. Any beef, chicken, or pork you eat has white blood cells in it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    "Safe" like, fewer people have died playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic,

How would that even work? The first player would always lose.

That's why you always go last; last one standing wins.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    evileen99 wrote: »

Cow's milk has white blood cells in it (not pus). Human milk has white blood cells in it. Any beef, chicken, or pork you eat has white blood cells in it.

Exactly. And beyond that there is a maximum allowable amount of those cells (an elevated number of cells indicates an infection in the cow).
    The idea that you're drinking pus when you take a sip of milk is incorrect and silly.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member

Have you studied this or did you read this from the internet? ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    Have you had human breast milk as an adult? It's not that delicious with cookies.

What is the point of this question?

I'm sure hardly any of us have drunk human milk as adults but this is relevant how??

And actually part of this is a cultural cringe. I have read that indigenous tribes of people without domesticated milk producing animals ( cows, goats, sheep etc) did sometimes give human milk to their frail elderly.
    Not directly from the breast, of course.
    But then we dont drink cows milk directly from the cows udder either.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Have you studied this or did you read this from the internet? ;)

And I'm sure you're going to share your qualifications for making the statement in the first place.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We are the only ones who make an effort to drink it after infancy, and the only ones who harvest milk as a crop. Other animals will drink it, if given the opportunity.

It just occurred to me that ants harvest sap from aphids. They herd them and milk them.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    I think milk is weird personally.
    I use it recipes that call for it :/ I still think it's weird.
    I would think drinking human breast milk is weird also. But drinking another animals "breast milk" seems even crazier to me lol\

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    "Safe" like, fewer people have died playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic,

Not if you are playing by the quantum rule book. In that case, the milk could be more dangerous.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016

Right?! Any player would lose if the mag is still loaded.
    A half empty revolver sure, but certainly not my 9mm. LMAO!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I might point out that both the ants and the aphids benefit from this symbiotic relationship. The ants, a steady supply of concentrated food, and the aphids, scouting and protection.

Similarly, some species have benefited from cooperating with man. They get shelter, medical care, and a steady supply of food. This includes goats, horses, cattle, dogs, chickens, pigs, rabbits, and cats. Other opportunistic species include rats, mice, roaches, crows, coyotes, sparrows, gulls, and scavengers of all kinds.