Random Thought For the Day

1322323325327328380

Replies

  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    8aw8eiuzhdpw.jpeg
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    773p8b79u9fz.jpeg
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 270,509 Member
    773p8b79u9fz.jpeg

    I like this one 😄
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    773p8b79u9fz.jpeg

    I like this one 😄

    Probably coz the shoe fits, yes? 😂
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 270,509 Member
    773p8b79u9fz.jpeg

    I like this one 😄

    Probably coz the shoe fits, yes? 😂

    Yes 😂
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    njnh3m1nocfz.jpeg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    njnh3m1nocfz.jpeg

    Omgoodness. It's a meme disagree-ers, it's supposed to be a joke. :s And *I* thought it was funny. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    What happened to April?
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    j4851whai25g.gif
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,794 Member
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 6,414 Member
    I don’t understand why people driving care so much if someone wants to drive faster than them.
    They will speed up just to be obstructionists.

  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 864 Member
    edited May 2021
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?

    A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.
    (these days sometimes called "working under the table")

    Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.
  • ComicSundae
    ComicSundae Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2021
    yukfoo wrote: »
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?

    A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.
    (these days sometimes called "working under the table")

    Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.

    Bartering's taxable because there's monetary value, of an item/service.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?

    A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.
    (these days sometimes called "working under the table")

    Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.

    Bartering's taxable because there's monetary value, of an item/service.

    True, but so much goes unreported.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 864 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?

    A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.
    (these days sometimes called "working under the table")

    Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.

    Bartering's taxable because there's monetary value, of an item/service.

    It can be...but only if records are kept and reported. Someone does drywall work in exchange for say...some computer repairs. The parties involved agree the barter is equitable. No records. There is no third party. What the authorities can't prove...they can' t tax.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 12,390 Member
    Our “mall” is essentially a Planet Fitness with a humongous, well kept, structure attached. That happens to contain a few random stores.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 3,893 Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Our “mall” is essentially a Planet Fitness with a humongous, well kept, structure attached. That happens to contain a few random stores.

    I miss full, thriving malls.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Our mall is laughable. :( It has a dollar store, an auto parts store, a gym, and at the end is Job Lots. There have been so many stores in and out of that place....J.C.Penny's is closing this month, we had Sears, Fashion Bug, Hallmark store, Radio Shack, and many more. All history. :( You can't even walk around inside anymore due to Covid. Lots of people walked during inclement weather.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 12,390 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Our “mall” is essentially a Planet Fitness with a humongous, well kept, structure attached. That happens to contain a few random stores.

    I miss full, thriving malls.
    I kinda do too. Sad to see everything so empty. Some corporation purchased it and made it look REALLY nice. But there’s nothing there hardly. But there are some wonderful photographs on the walls that show our city now and throughout history. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s almost like a museum.
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Our mall is laughable. :( It has a dollar store, an auto parts store, a gym, and at the end is Job Lots. There have been so many stores in and out of that place....J.C.Penny's is closing this month, we had Sears, Fashion Bug, Hallmark store, Radio Shack, and many more. All history. :( You can't even walk around inside anymore due to Covid. Lots of people walked during inclement weather.

    When I’m in the mood I watch YouTube channels that go into abandoned or nearly empty malls. Ours would be perfect for that. 🙈