Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

1131415161719»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Poem On Choices

It is known

Cheap and abundant food

Lowers starvation

And raises obesity

Which is worse?

+1
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Poem On Choices

It is known

Cheap and abundant food

Lowers starvation

And raises obesity

Which is worse?

Now try a haiku? :naughty:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    100df wrote: »
    When countries send food to other countries as a form of aid, what kind of food do they send? Lays Potato Chips and Oeros? Or foods like rice?

Stuff you can put on large ships in the hold and handle easily. Maize, soya, barley, rice etc in its agricultural raw material state not as a processed food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    When countries send food to other countries as a form of aid, what kind of food do they send? Lays Potato Chips and Oeros? Or foods like rice?

Stuff you can put on large ships in the hold and handle easily. Maize, soya, barley, rice etc in its agricultural raw material state not as a processed food.

Also specialized processed foods to bring children back from the edge of starvation, like Plumpy Doz.

http://m.wfp.org/nutrition/special-nutritional-products
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    It is my humble opinion that processed foods are a / the major cause of obesity. To be more precise, it's the consumption of said processed foods.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    tcarp8 wrote: »
    It is my humble opinion that processed foods are a / the major cause of obesity. To be more precise, it's the consumption of said processed foods.

To be even more precise, the overconsumption of them, as well as any other foods processed or not in one's diet over a prolonged time period is the cause of obesity.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Back to the OP discussion on the canned chicken (I read about halfway through the entire thread and then skipped to the end). I'm an advocate for canned meat.

Surprised???

I'm an advocate NOT for commercially canned meats but for home canned meats (sealed in mason jars using a pressure canner). You control everything you add to your home canned goods. Typically the only thing you add is canning salt which is different than table salt (it does not contain iodine or any anti caking products added), and even then adding it is optional. I have canned chicken breast, beef roast, ground hamburger, venison, corned beef hash, and shrimp. Canned meat is great for people who are short on time and want easy prep meals that are healthy. There's a multitude of options for meals using these meats. The meat can be canned raw or cooked and inside the canner it reaches a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria and the pressure causes the jars to seal. They can be stored safely and are shelf stable (no more taking up room in the freezer). The meat is cooked thoroughly and even the toughest meat is tenderized to a texture as if you had slow cooked it for 8 hours.

Here's a few things I have made with canned meats:
    Chicken - chicken salad, chicken soups/stews (just add meat, veggies, and broth), and chicken pot pie
    Beef - beef stew, shepherds pie, BBQ (just add BBQ sauce)
    Ground Hamburger - taco meat (just add taco seasoning), soups, spaghetti
    Venison - same as beef
    Corned beef hash - meal in itself as it is canned with potato cubes, just heat with onions and olive oil
    Shrimp - shrimp cocktail and great on salads

Anyone have any questions, feel free to message me :smiley:
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Participants in a National Institutes of Health (US) study spent two weeks eating ultraprocessed foods- stuff out of bags, boxes and cans - then another two weeks consuming unprocessed natural foods. On the first part, they gained about 1 pound a week. On the second part, they lost about a pound a week.
    This was in an article in AARP Magazine.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2019
    adotbaby wrote: »
    Participants in a National Institutes of Health (US) study spent two weeks eating ultraprocessed foods- stuff out of bags, boxes and cans - then another two weeks consuming unprocessed natural foods. On the first part, they gained about 1 pound a week. On the second part, they lost about a pound a week.

Post the link. In my opinion, 4 weeks is not enough time to make any concrete statements.

ETA. Necro thread
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019

Here's a thread discussing the study that I think you are referring to. It was an interesting discussion if you'd like to read it or join in.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

ETA. Necro thread
    I was this [puts fingers as close as possible] close to replying to the OP....and then I looked down at the date. Alas.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

ETA. Necro thread
    I was this [puts fingers as close as possible] close to replying to the OP....and then I looked down at the date. Alas.

I STILL wanna reply to the op.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 2019
    deleted post as released it was an old thread - will look up thread lemurcat2 mentions...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I was actually planning on having canned chicken tomorrow as my "you HAVE to up your protein" work snack.