Do you eat the calories you are burning from exercise?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2016
    Nope I made my life simple and it seems to work. I eat a base of no more then 2400 cals a day, and if I'm under yay. Days I do any kind of activity longer then an hour; hiking, skating, running, whatever. I allow myself up to 2600, but no more.

Sometimes things change (Like I did an 8 hour hike and the next day I'm SUPER hungry) and I will adjust so I don't have an emotional break down haha.

So basically, you do but it's in your daily activity......the TDEE method as discussed earlier and not the NEAT (MFP) method. It's just a different method of basically doing the same thing.
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2016
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Nope I made my life simple and it seems to work. I eat a base of no more then 2400 cals a day, and if I'm under yay. Days I do any kind of activity longer then an hour; hiking, skating, running, whatever. I allow myself up to 2600, but no more.

Sometimes things change (Like I did an 8 hour hike and the next day I'm SUPER hungry) and I will adjust so I don't have an emotional break down haha.

So basically, you do but it's in your daily activity......the TDEE method as discussed earlier and not the NEAT (MFP) method. It's just a different method of basically doing the same thing.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Probably shouldn't of started with a straight nope.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    I recently got a Fitbit Charge HR would it be better to sync it with MFP?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I sure do! I have MFP linked to My fitbit and it adjusts my calories up or down based on activity. This past week I was eating around 1700 calories/day and still lost at a good rate.
  • LilaIoannidou
    LilaIoannidou Posts: 8 Member
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I sure do! I have MFP linked to My fitbit and it adjusts my calories up or down based on activity. This past week I was eating around 1700 calories/day and still lost at a good rate.

What kind of fitbit do you have? Is it easy to use?
  • Anabug81
    edited March 2016
    I have the Charge HR, and it is pretty easy to use.
  • g8britten
    g8britten Posts: 36 Member
    no i don't eat a single exercise calorie
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    hko718 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    hko718 wrote: »
    Not reinventing anything. TDEE is just superior compared to eating back calories, on all levels.

That's like saying 2+2 is better than 3+1.

TDEE would be 2+2. Eating back cals is poverty,

I just don't believe in bringing cardio into dieting unless you're stalling. Losing weight w/o cardio is the GOAT. It's 2016

ITT: a person who uses poverty and beta more than a financial analyst.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    I recently got a Fitbit Charge HR would it be better to sync it with MFP?

Yes, FitBits compare your MFP (given) activity level with your actual activity level and adjusts your calories accordingly. There is a setting in MFP to allow negative calorie adjustments too. This negative adjustment keeps you honest.

This adjustment is like adding in exercise calories, AND eating them back is expected. Because, creating a larger (and larger) deficit helps with faster "weight" loss, but unfortunately fast weight loss often sacrifices more lean muscle mass loss than most people are comfortable with.

Here's the group for info on your FitBit model

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    StacyChrz wrote: »

I just linked my MFP & Fitbit this morning I plan on eating back no more then half of my exercise calories for a dessert type snack. a few times a week we go out for ice cream or sno cones often with the kids in the evenings and I don't want to deprive myself
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    No I try not to I feel like I work hard to workout I do not want to defeat the purpose by eating back my hard work.

But if you're going by mfp numbers and didn't pick maintenance, you already picked a calorie deficit so you're not defeating the purpose by eating at least a portion of your exercise calories back.

Personally, I will always advocate eating as much as you can get away with and still lose at a reasonable rate.
  • Anabug81
    Okay thanks for the information everyone!
  • ShanRamwhite
    ShanRamwhite Posts: 1 Member
    Not if I want to lose weight. There are times I will work out extra hard knowing I have a big meal coming up. I wish I could say 100% I don't but i am working on it. I tried allowing myself to eat what I burn but I only see results when I eat my original calculated calories for the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not if I want to lose weight. There are times I will work out extra hard knowing I have a big meal coming up. I wish I could say 100% I don't but i am working on it. I tried allowing myself to eat what I burn but I only see results when I eat my original calculated calories for the day.

It's calories in vs. calorie out for everyone. MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So if you "can't lose weight" when eating any exercise calories then you are doing something wrong. Eating more than you think, or burning less than you think....somewhere in there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Never. I aim to burn 2300 and I eat 1500. If I have a day where I am super active and burn 2500, I still eat 1500. If I have a lazy day and burn 1800 I still eat 1500.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    H4N4H wrote: »
    Never. I aim to burn 2300 and I eat 1500. If I have a day where I am super active and burn 2500, I still eat 1500. If I have a lazy day and burn 1800 I still eat 1500.

I hope you are not bragging. This is very unhealthy, you are torching your body into oblivion
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Yikes! H4n4H, you brazen hussy! You'll be in a wheel chair by summer!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Of course :smile: but you have to account for over estimated calorie burns so that's why a lot of us suggest eating back 50 -75% of them.
  • stolen_spoon
    stolen_spoon Posts: 20 Member
    Depends on what kind of workout I did that day, and how I'm feeling.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    synacious wrote: »
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat

NOOOOO. Oh my God. I live in NYC and I'm deathly afraid of them. How did you deal with that? It would take me a long time to use my oven again.

I'd like to say that I calmly caught the rat, threw it over the back fence, and went about my evening. The reality is that I screamed like a sissy-child and threw the broiler pan at it, along with the perfectly seasoned steak that I was preparing for dinner. The rat, apparently afraid of seasoned steaks and screaming women, ran up the back of the stove, across the cabinet and down the back of the fridge. I then texted my husband and told him we were going out for dinner, and, despite considering myself a reasonable, sensible, and self-reliant woman, vacated the premises. It's probably still in my kitchen somewhere, since the traps my husband set last night are still set.

uugghh I wouldn't step foot back in that house until that rat was dead and gone! I can handle bugs and spiders, but mice and rats, i just can not, I have a bad phobia.
    We were renting a beautiful house in the country, and then the mice plague came... After a week of living in fear seeing those scurrying little demons everywhere, I packed up and moved, I let the landlord keep our $1200 bond, i didn't care, I wanted out.
    I swear, had I stayed there I would have been admitted to the nut house by the end..

ETA: Forgot about the topic lol I sometimes eat all, some or none back, depending how hungry I am on the day.