Do you eat the calories you are burning from exercise?

Options

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Back when I was doing NEAT I are back about %75 of my exercise calories.
    I've been doing TDEE for 4 months now so I have my exercise calories in my activity level.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I exercise just so I can eat more. B) There are some days where I don't eat all of my exercise calories, but very few.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I sure do! I have MFP linked to My fitbit and it adjusts my calories up or down based on activity. This past week I was eating around 1700 calories/day and still lost at a good rate.

I just linked my MFP & Fitbit this morning I plan on eating back no more then half of my exercise calories for a dessert type snack. a few times a week we go out for ice cream or sno cones often with the kids in the evenings and I don't want to deprive myself

The exercise calories I get from my FitBit are far less generous than those I get from MFP for the same activity and so I am comfortable eating all of my FB calories back.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    <still hyperventilating from rat/mice/palmetto bug stories>

Yes, I eat back exercise calories. Emphatically YES. I use the burns calculated on MFP.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Yes, I eat back exercise calories. Emphatically YES. I use the burns calculated on MFP.

My rodent from last night reappeared by kitchen window an hour ago. Now I have lost it to under the cooker.
    Kitchen being scrubbed. Back door open, kitchen door closed. Cat in kitchen with instructions to find what it brought in last night and take it back to where it found it.

Cheers, h.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

My rodent from last night reappeared by kitchen window an hour ago. Now I have lost it to under the cooker.
    Kitchen being scrubbed. Back door open, kitchen door closed. Cat in kitchen with instructions to find what it brought in last night and take it back to where it found it.

Cheers, h.

Oh no!! I recall when my cat brought a chipmunk into the house. It was smart and ran under a big upholstered square chair and stayed right in the center. My cat circled that chair about 50 times but his paws wouldn't reach. (I wouldn't know this firsthand, as I was barricaded in my bedroom with a pillow stuffed at the door crack.) My husband finally "led" the poor chipmunk out with a broom...he was fine and off he went. (Cat locked away in the basement for this.)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

LMAO :+1:
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Get a cat or a small terrier.

house - rat = cat\or small fiesty terrier!
  • Forvalaka
    Forvalaka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat back half. I tried not to at first, but that was a silly mistake. I was tired and hungry. Work hard, eat a little more- it's glorious! :)

+1. I generally eat half, though mostly because I think the running app deducts too much. After a run if it says I burned 500 calories I immediately enter a 250 cal snack. Then I'm less tempted to eat them later, anyway. HOWEVER, don't ignore signs from your body: if you're exhausted or starving or not healing, eat! Just eat healthy food, which really is the best medicine.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't use MFP to measure them since MFP is batshit crazy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    g8britten wrote: »
    no i don't eat a single exercise calorie

Elaboration?

We've covered a few different scenarios here as to why some would and some wouldn't, mostly dependent upon which strategy they are using.

Weird place to drop a one line answer in, especially if you actually read the previous 4 and a half pages.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No, because I'm sure not sure how many calories I really burned. I need a heart monitor!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I tried to eat back less then 25%. I lost a ton of weight, no complaints from me. Of course I did my best to maintain a high amount of protein, and stayed active so that I didn't lose tons of muscle. Sure I probably lost some but I'd rather rebuild what was lost then drag out the weight loss eating at a deficit for another year.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just started back on here, but I'm going to try and adjust every 2-3 weeks. I may be totally over thinking this, but the 2 week method will give me a good idea of what works and what doesn't, and adjust as I go. It also increases the calories as my workouts get more intense, which will help fuel me for the next one. Feel free to tear this apart. I like analyzing stuff, so why not do it for my diet too!

Week 1-2 - 1,300 calories, don't eat back exercise calorie burn (which, I'll admit are fairly light now)

Weeks 3-4 - 1,300 calories, eat back 50% of exercise calories burned

Weeks 5-6 - 1,300 calories, eat back 75% of exercise calories burned

Weeks 7-8 - 1,300 calories, eat back 75% of exercise calories burned

Weeks 9-10 - Adjust calorie allowance to 1,500, eat back 25% of exercise calories burned
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat

NOOOOO. Oh my God. I live in NYC and I'm deathly afraid of them. How did you deal with that? It would take me a long time to use my oven again.

I'd like to say that I calmly caught the rat, threw it over the back fence, and went about my evening. The reality is that I screamed like a sissy-child and threw the broiler pan at it, along with the perfectly seasoned steak that I was preparing for dinner. The rat, apparently afraid of seasoned steaks and screaming women, ran up the back of the stove, across the cabinet and down the back of the fridge. I then texted my husband and told him we were going out for dinner, and, despite considering myself a reasonable, sensible, and self-reliant woman, vacated the premises. It's probably still in my kitchen somewhere, since the traps my husband set last night are still set.

You are a trooper!!
  • rhody_
    rhody_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely try not to, but some days when I splurge, I feel better because I do have those exercise calories :smiley:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If you used a TDEE calculator, and you based your number off of that, then you probably wouldn't eat those exercise calories back because properly calculated TDEE already includes planned workouts. However, if you got your number from MFP, then you eat them back. Give yourself a safety net, and eat them back at 50%-75%. Play around in that range until you are at the loss you are happy with (that is also safe).

That one. I may eat back a little more than 50% if I'm hungry too, I like to think of it as having a little wiggle room. The exercise calories tend to be exaggerated, and never trust the ones on a machine, as they're likely not calibrated correctly. @RGv2 broke down an explanation of the why we do what we do too. :smile:
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I eat all but about 100-200 cals back, to give me a cushion incase my Misfit or MFP estimates too high. I use the exercise calories and the "extras" that those calories bring, for things I may want but not necessarily need. If I didn't eat back my exercise cals I would be hungry and binging all the time, since I only have 1220 cals.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    hko718 wrote: »
    If you're attempting to lose weight then NO. Why would you eat back calories when you're trying to be in a deficit. Use cardio as a tool. If you're eating 1500 calories and losing weight without cardio then you don't really need to be on the cardio grind.

OP, please ignore this....this is the 2nd or 3rd thread that this poster has shown they don't understand how MFP works.

MFP give you a calorie goal based on the information that you enter in (personal stats, daily activity, etc), and assumes you do no exercise. Let's take a hypothetical person who enters their stats with a goal to lose 1lb per week and gets a goal of 1500 cals (so maint of 2000).

2000 maint cals - 500 cals = 1500 cals per day to lose 1lb per week.

Now let's say that hypothetical person adds in a run every other day that burns 300 cals. Now that person has a new maintenance.

2000 original maint. + 300 exercise cals = A new maintenance of 2300 cals.

2300 new maint cals - 500 cals = 1800 cals per day to lose 1lb per week.

Now, with that said...It's all an estimate. Most of us recommend eating back about 50% of your exercise cals, and after a few weeks adjusting from there. That will normally help counter any estimation inaccuracies.

When you first start out, and the more weight you have to lose, exercise cals can be less important. The closer you get to goal, the more important your exercise cals are going to be, and that estimation will need to be on point.

What I've found is that I cut best at about 1lb per week at ~75-80% of my exercise cals.

Excellent explanation.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't make any attempt to calculate how many calories I burn during exercise. To compensate, I set my calorie goal (for eating) a little higher than I would, otherwise. However, I am not doing hours of exercise at an intense level. If that were the case, I might rethink my method.

It is working well for me at the moment.