Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, this thread has a whole lot of judgment in it.

I think as long as someone isn't doing something that's actually harmful, we should be supportive of the efforts they're making. They'll tinker around and figure it out eventually. Maybe it's useful in these situations not to tell someone else how to lose weight, but instead relate your own experiences of how you lost weight and what worked best for you.

Also, it's pretty normal for people to conflate weight loss with fitness and health, or group it all in together. I know the board mantra is that a calorie is a calorie, but I think in the big scheme of things, thinking about fitness and longevity and wellness will make it easier to reach your goals.

A lot of these so called myths are myths, but they might work if they're targeted to someone's individual weaknesses.

For example, I know objectively that white rice isn't a killer to weight loss. But why do I avoid white rice? - because when it comes to white rice I'm a bottomless insatiable pit. Maybe there is something psychological about it, maybe it's a callback to my childhood. I mean I literally have a physical, biological reaction when I smell white rice that can only be compared to some sort of food boner. For that reason, I avoid it. I don't think it's inherently bad, but avoiding it is personally beneficial to me.

A lot of people have the same experience with carbs in general (so many of the people I know who are doing "low carb" are actually doing regular carb.) Or gluten in general. Or meat. Or processed foods. Or whatever.

And by the way, it's true that gluten isn't evil. But it isn't a necessary nutrient, either. People aren't doing any harm to themselves by replacing gluten with oats or almond flour or quinoa or whatever. I for one have never had something gluten free that wasn't also delicious and equally or more healthy than the gluten version. A good friend of mine cut out gluten and lost a ton of weight - probably because gluten rich products were a source of calories for her.

AMEN! I think that this started as a fun thread... broken cookies and rowing to good boobs fun... but if given a forum... the judgers will judge!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »

I think as long as someone isn't doing something that's actually harmful, we should be supportive of the efforts they're making. They'll tinker around and figure it out eventually. Maybe it's useful in these situations not to tell someone else how to lose weight, but instead relate your own experiences of how you lost weight and what worked best for you.

Also, it's pretty normal for people to conflate weight loss with fitness and health, or group it all in together. I know the board mantra is that a calorie is a calorie, but I think in the big scheme of things, thinking about fitness and longevity and wellness will make it easier to reach your goals.

A lot of these so called myths are myths, but they might work if they're targeted to someone's individual weaknesses.

For example, I know objectively that white rice isn't a killer to weight loss. But why do I avoid white rice? - because when it comes to white rice I'm a bottomless insatiable pit. Maybe there is something psychological about it, maybe it's a callback to my childhood. I mean I literally have a physical, biological reaction when I smell white rice that can only be compared to some sort of food boner. For that reason, I avoid it. I don't think it's inherently bad, but avoiding it is personally beneficial to me.

A lot of people have the same experience with carbs in general (so many of the people I know who are doing "low carb" are actually doing regular carb.) Or gluten in general. Or meat. Or processed foods. Or whatever.

And by the way, it's true that gluten isn't evil. But it isn't a necessary nutrient, either. People aren't doing any harm to themselves by replacing gluten with oats or almond flour or quinoa or whatever. I for one have never had something gluten free that wasn't also delicious and equally or more healthy than the gluten version. A good friend of mine cut out gluten and lost a ton of weight - probably because gluten rich products were a source of calories for her.

AMEN! I think that this started as a fun thread... broken cookies and rowing to good boobs fun... but if given a forum... the judgers will judge!

She said, judgingly.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

^ this

I can't tell you how many times I've argued with my boys on this. A pound is a pound is a pound, it's all the same unless we're talking British currency.

Muscle is denser than fat, obviously, and that is why your clothes fit better and you look leaner.
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    rebeccamurphy12979 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my favorite lie I tell myself when I truly want to indulge, even though I know its not true is, if you break a cookie in half before eating it, all the calories fall out the crack.
  • couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    any crap that Freelee the banana girl spits out...
  • amfmmama
    Options
    Food Babe.

Dr. Oz.

Hate to say I was a Food Babe believer for a long time.

What is a FOOD BABE?
  • amfmmama
    Options

She said, judgingly.

hee hee hee
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode
  • bhunter428
    bhunter428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My sisters attended WW at the beginning, and though I was only 10, I about died laughing at the "No cheese after 5:00 p.m." rule.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Drinking ACV right after every meal which will help burn the calories from the meal. Sadly I actually believed and tried this. Also I just read a post about oatmeal burning fat...smdh There are a lot of overweight ppl that eat oatmeal...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Food Babe.

Dr. Oz.

Hate to say I was a Food Babe believer for a long time.

What is a FOOD BABE?

Save your sanity and don't find out.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count as long you eat raw vegan. You can drink 10 banana smoothie as a snack and you won't gain weight, as long there is no animal products in there. So basically *kitten* Freele banana girl is spreading on YouTube.
  • sjrutherf
    sjrutherf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    becbo22 wrote: »
    Itworks products.

This.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ~Don't eat things with ingredients you can't pronounce~

I have a PhD in a chemistry related field. I can pronounce pretty much any chemical. Must be why I'm fat.
    If you did a complete chemical breakdown of most things, there's going to be some technical name for an otherwise benign substance that the average person can't pronounce.
    One example I can think of might be pyridoxine, it kind of has a scary name, reminds you of 'fire', but in reality is just vitamin B6.

This kind of goes along with the ~don't eat it if it has more than five ingredients~ bit.

A lot of things are in reality made out of more than five things. Sure milk is milk, but it consists of water, lactose, fats, proteins (whey and casein), and a myriad of vitamins and minerals, and enzymes.

Also a lot of natural foods contain cyanide in non-lethal doses. ;)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rawley69 wrote: »
    ~Don't eat things with ingredients you can't pronounce~

I have a PhD in a chemistry related field. I can pronounce pretty much any chemical. Must be why I'm fat.
    If you did a complete chemical breakdown of most things, there's going to be some technical name for an otherwise benign substance that the average person can't pronounce.
    One example I can think of might be pyridoxine, it kind of has a scary name, reminds you of 'fire', but in reality is just vitamin B6.

This kind of goes along with the ~don't eat it if it has more than five ingredients~ bit.

A lot of things are in reality made out of more than five things. Sure milk is milk, but it consists of water, lactose, fats, proteins (whey and casein), and a myriad of vitamins and minerals, and enzymes.

Also a lot of natural foods contain cyanide in non-lethal doses. ;)

^^^ This.... everything is a chemical people, get over it...

Also.... This
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.

It doesn't because 'for a given volume' is always assumed. It is just common sense.
    Well at least in science it is assumed. I'm a scientist and never heard anyone comparing the weight of things of different volumes as it would be pointless.
    It's like comparing the weight of 5 apples to 1 banana. Or 1 bottle of water to 3 bottles of milk. Who cares which is heavier if the volumes are not the same. Lol.

I'm an engineer, and I too roll my eyes every time someone goes off on a rant about how 'a pound is a pound'.
    Duh, that's never the point.
    Yes, you can lift for a year, GAIN weight and fit in clothes 5 times smaller. Just because the person may mistakenly think this is happening to them in 1 week, doesn't make this untrue...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    bhunter428 wrote: »
    My sisters attended WW at the beginning, and though I was only 10, I about died laughing at the "No cheese after 5:00 p.m." rule.
    LOL!! Yes, and the "nuts are bad" rule.

I did WW several years ago. Before every weigh in, the ladies would show up earlier and drink a lot of coffee to shed water weight. :p
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Atkins
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    What about the whole gluten-free hype that has been all the rage? I am waiting for this none to go awaaaaay.
    ereck44 wrote: »
    What about the whole gluten-free hype that has been all the rage? I am waiting for this one to go awaaaaay.

As someone who buys GF products (for a family member with celiacs), I love this 'fad'! The availability of GF products as well as the quality and taste has gone up exponentially. Plus the prices have dropped significantly.

I hope it continues, lol. The GF substitues available a decade ago were atrocious...now they arent bad!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My neice gave me a list of 15 acidic foods and told me to eat just those and only grapefruit juice. To only eat and drink that for 2 weeks. On the third week I could eat anything I wanted, then back to the acid foods for to more weeks. So on and so on...

Apparently according to her expertise the high acid level will "eat away your fat"

...and eat away the lining of your stomach resulting in ulcers, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

She said, judgingly.

LOL!