Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Anyone notice the eating poop for weightloss thread is back.

Does that win?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Running will make your uterus fall out. Bahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I've been running for over 25 years, and I still have ALL my original parts! :D
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    mkwrose wrote: »
    hCG diet, it has hit my facebook friends hard. And it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

You are technically not even allowed to mention it here. I went on it before, but even though it worked for me I was no less lazy so I gained it all back a year later. I discourage anyone from doing it because it just feels better to lose weight the old fashioned way. I don't believe it's a myth, but I wouldn't recommend it in a million years. Fast doesn't equal good all the time. Also if you know anyone that is starting menopause and wants to do it warn them that it will mess their body up. My mom's chemistry went wacko when she did it like that. It was an accident though, she didn't know she was starting and it made her hair fall out and stuff.

In short, just don't do it. There are other, non risky methods. You basically have to be a nutritional expert or know one to successful do it. Mom is one so I didn't kill myself.

JUUUUUST STAAAAAAAY AWAAAAAY!!!!
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    bo2gr9y2k8ud.jpeg

This my favorite of the whole thread, hehe
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned already. Short people have to eat even fewer calories than anyone taller than them because height is the only issue when it comes to losing weight.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    ybee1991 wrote: »
    My mom used to tell me if you suck your stomach in long enough, it'll stay that way-LOL.

My mom used to tell me the same thing, and I've sucked my tummy in for a lifetime for 48 years. While it hasn't made my tummy flat (only serious exercise and a good diet has done that), it does actually help me to look much leaner. It is SUCH a habit of mine and I do it without thinking.

I've had to be super careful not to pass this on to my daughters, however. When my mom said that to me, it always made me feel like she was telling me I was fat :( I don't want my girls to have those same feelings. But I do want to tell them to suck it in at times! LOL
  • Shana67
    Working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach will make you lose weight a lot faster.

I have never, ever said this to anyone, but I always work out 1st thing in the AM (at 6), always on an empty stomach (I can't eat before exercise!), and my weight loss is going well (down 23 lb in 11 weeks). I mean, one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other. But in my case I think it's helpful :)

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    High saturated (animal) fat is ok because "brain runs on cholesterol".
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned already. Short people have to eat even fewer calories than anyone taller than them because height is the only issue when it comes to losing weight.

Yes! I am only 5 feet tall and I eat about 2000 calories/day. I do see a lot of taller people eating less than me. Activity level and exercise add up!
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Iceberg lettuce is negative calories because chewing it burns more calories than it is....
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    dlboyle26 wrote: »
    Iceberg lettuce is negative calories because chewing it burns more calories than it is....
    Also celery. It's possible, but unlikely.

• Shana67
    edited March 2016
    Do you have any scientific proof that other than Celiacs and those with gluten sensitivities that people *shouldn't* eat gluten? Also I have seen quite a few gluten free products in my grocery store that had the same if not more calories than the same thing with gluten. If the product is equally "healthy" and had similar calories why would you spend twice the amount of money for the gluten free product?

Yes. Those with Celiac Disease (like myself) who continue to eat gluten run a very high risk of developing cancer. Additionally, when I eat gluten-laden foods, I have ridiculously painful stomach aches and copious amounts of diarrhea. Those reasons are good enough for me :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I don't know if it's the silliest thing I've ever read, but it ranks up there. Here's a link to the 1972 Weight Watcher's plan. It's got some things correct (log everything, for example), but it's so restrictive and proscriptive that I have a hard time believing that anyone could follow it for long. I wouldn't doubt that my mother tried to follow this for some time.

http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html

A few excerpts to whet your interest:
    Meat, Poultry and Alternates: These are divided into Group B and Group C foods. Choose from Group B foods exactly 3 times a week - no more, no less - for lunch and dinner, as you wish. Group B is further divided into two parts, and you are not to choose from the second part more than once a week. Choose from Group C as desired (but allow for must meals).

7. LIVER You must eat liver at least once a week - if you have it more often, consider it in the Group C category. Liver from any meat or poultry that's permitted on program may be used: beef, chicken, calf, steer, lamb, pork, etc.
    3. VEGETABLES (UNLIMITED AND MODERATE AMOUNTS) The 3A vegetables are unlimited - nibble on these whenever you're hungry. The 3B vegetables are to be eaten in the amounts given on p. 243. All vegetables in groups 3 and 4 may be used fresh; canned; frozen (without sauce); or freeze-dried (measured or weighed after rehydration.

4. VEGETABLES (LIMITED) Select one vegetable or a combination of several (totaling 4 ounces daily) from the list on p. 286, at noon or evening meal. Vary your selection from day to day. A serving is 4 ounces, weighed after the vegetable is cooked and drained.
    14. Do not eat or drink the following (except, of course, for "legal" recipes as given in this book):

Alcoholic beverages, beer, wine
    Bacon or back fat (fat back)
    Butter
    Cake, cookies, crackers, pies
    Candy, chocolate
    Catsup, chili sauce
    Coconut or coconut oil
    Corn
    Cream, sweet or sour
    Cream cheese
    Fried foods
    Fruit, dried, canned in syrup or dietetic
    Ice cream, ice milk, ices and sherbets
    Jams, jellies, or preserves
    Luncheon meats
    Muffins, biscuits
    Non-dairy creamers or toppings
    Olives or olive oils
    Pancakes, waffles
    Peanut butter
    Peanuts, other nuts
    Pizza
    Popcorn, potato chips, pretzels
    Pork products
    Puddings, custards, flavored gelatin desserts
    Raw fish or meat
    Specialty breads
    Salad dressings
    Sardines
    Smoked fish (except finnan haddie and salmon)
    Soda pop, ades, punch
    Soups
    Sugar
    Syrups
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    My sister thinks she can lose weight and still drink several sugary drinks a day. She says, "Counting calories doesn't help, I lose more weight eating what I want and still drinking my chocolate milk and lemonade." She can drink like 5 glasses of lemonade at one meal...
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    The wrap thing works
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    The military diet.....and the rest of the dangerously low calorie woo scams
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    rdkstar wrote: »
    I was at an omelet station at a restaurant. The guy next to me told me not to get tomatoes because they make you fat.

I choose to believe this because I hate tomatoes, now I have a reason to avoid them.

• alanatkin9
    alanatkin9 Posts: 6 Member
    if someone gains 10lbs of fat compared to 10lbs of muscle then theres a huge difference in body composition .. so muscle does weigh more than fat in size..
  • alanatkin9
    sick of hearing that myself, calories in calories out..
    No eating after 6 pm

• alanatkin9
    ilex70 wrote: »
    That a spoonful of olive oil before a heavy meal will stop your body from digesting the fat in the meal. I have friends who carry around little bottles of olive oil and measuring spoons in their purses. *blink*

Uh, no. But it may increase satiety and cause you to eat less at the meal.

high fats and protein do keep you fuller longer, so you can seem to eat less over all..