Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Water debate

2»

Replies

• Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    12 cups a day, no matter how you spread them as long as u take it. dont take it before bed tho
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's probably cultural and does not matter. I can't eat without having water or something else to drink.

Spot on. When we were kids it was an old wives tale. Supposedly, water shortly before a meal "dilutes digestive juices" so you don't digest food properly and run the risk of becoming underweight.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Budjola wrote: »
    12 cups a day, no matter how you spread them as long as u take it. dont take it before bed tho

Why 12 cups a day?
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    So I was having sever gastritis for a time and they suspected acid reflux and for THaT reason, I was advised to drink after meals not before so the food doesn't rise up. I never understood it because I always figured the food would sink either way. Anyway, that's one thing. It was hard because for dieting reasons, I always drank a glass of water before I ate to fill me up faster.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Idk. All i know is i drink it all day before during and after every meal. I drink 9-12 cups a day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Water is good for us, doesn't matter when we drink it. I sip it most of the day and more when I'm eating.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's probably cultural and does not matter. I can't eat without having water or something else to drink.

Spot on. When we were kids it was an old wives tale. Supposedly, water shortly before a meal "dilutes digestive juices" so you don't digest food properly and run the risk of becoming underweight.

I was told this as a kid too. Also I think "Dr" Jillian McKeith used to spout this nonsense, which is a fair indication that it is total rubbish.