Does lifting heavy weights make your knuckles bigger?

2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Four years lifting. Knuckles still normal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Heh, I'm sure it's possible but fairly unlikely. I've been powerlifting consistently for 7 years (weights over 400, even 500lbs on a weekly basis) and my wedding ring actually fits looser than it used to. Used to be a little tough to get over the knuckle but it nearly falls off sometimes now when I'm dehydrated.
  • barbdoyle4
    barbdoyle4 Posts: 1 Member
    I am in my mid 50's and have had the same experience. I have worn the same ring size for decades and 10+ lbs weight gains and losses through the years, but it wasn't until I was about 8 months into regular weight training that my rings don't fit. Could be aging, but glad I am not alone!
  • tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    I think another possible reason to consider is the type of lifts/exercises you are doing compared to the previous. For example, if you are now incorporating more exercises requiring grip strength then it will affect digit size(fingers and hand tissue). Possible but may not be.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I suppose that lifting helps sustain, and maybe even increase, bone density. But, making bones grow? I've simply never heard of that and I have to be skeptical of that.