Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Replies

• alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Yeah I pretty much cut out bread
  • beautyqueen940
    beautyqueen940 Posts: 8 Member
    We need carbs in our daily diet, no matter what. But of course in moderation.
  • feelc
    feelc Posts: 11 Member
    I ate whole wheat and graham bread and lost 12 kg. I ate potatoes, rice, and noodles too.
    We need carbs

Indeed!

ARE LOW CARB DIETS BETTER FOR FAT LOSS?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3dWxS4FFs
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    We need carbs in our daily diet, no matter what. But of course in moderation.

You don't technically need to eat carbs because your body can produce the carbs it needs itself. However, getting proper amounts of micronutrients is far easier with carbs than without.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)

Just out of curiosity what is the qty you eat for pasta and bread you eat? Make an example. Thank you!

I had pasta last night at a restaurant-I got the chicken mushroom broccoli Alfredo bake (ziti pasta) in the light portion size (which is a menu item), and it was 400 calories. I also had two bread sticks for 300 calories. Meal total was 700 calories for a pasta/bread meal (drank diet coke with it). I also had a half a can of beer after we got home and then earlier in the day I ate a Subway bacon chicken salad (added my own Hidden Valley light ranch dressing-2 servings because these salads are huge!), with a serving of Baked Lays and then a serving of Greek yogurt for snack in the afternoon. My calorie grand total for the day was under 1,400.

So you got maybe 50 grams pasta? Because today I had
    100 g pasta dressed only with 140 g cherry tomatoes,8 grams extra virgin olive oil,
    Freshbasil

And this came out 456 calories .

I wouldn't eat Pasta by itself like that. Linda like eating plain Rice with soy Sauce Or just buttered potatoes. That's not really a meal. But add some nice Mediterranean spiced fish Or meat to it and for just 200-ish more calories you have a big, filling meal that gives you nutrition. And tastes better than just having a piece of meat on your plate.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    henry4399 wrote: »
    I have like one slice of bread everyday for breakfast, Ezekiel 4:9 yo

me too i love it good bread 80 calories
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)

Just out of curiosity what is the qty you eat for pasta and bread you eat? Make an example. Thank you!

I had pasta last night at a restaurant-I got the chicken mushroom broccoli Alfredo bake (ziti pasta) in the light portion size (which is a menu item), and it was 400 calories. I also had two bread sticks for 300 calories. Meal total was 700 calories for a pasta/bread meal (drank diet coke with it). I also had a half a can of beer after we got home and then earlier in the day I ate a Subway bacon chicken salad (added my own Hidden Valley light ranch dressing-2 servings because these salads are huge!), with a serving of Baked Lays and then a serving of Greek yogurt for snack in the afternoon. My calorie grand total for the day was under 1,400.

100 g pasta dressed only with 140 g cherry tomatoes,8 grams extra virgin olive oil,
    Freshbasil

Why are you so confused with her numbers? 75 grams of gf pasta for me yesterday, 260 cals...It's easy to fit what you want into your day, if you're thoughtful about it, which it appears she is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Freshbasil

Where's the protein? When I eat like that, I can't stop as my body continues to seek protein.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Freshbasil

Where's the protein? When I eat like that, I can't stop as my body continues to seek protein.

This is probably an "every body is different" situation. When I eat a high protein meal I'm hungry an hour or two later. If I eat the same calories in mostly pasta/carbs I am satiated until the next meal.
  • Ffiffion
    Ffiffion Posts: 19 Member
    Hi, I've just starting a new diet (cutting down on portions and eating healthier) and I'm cutting down on most bread and replacing it with wholemeal pitta bread, partially due to the difference in calories but mostly because I find myself eating less pitta bread than I would normal bread and making up for it with more lettuce and cucumber (could eat cucumber in every meal as it is). I found that normal bread (both white and brown) would make me bloat up like a balloon but in the last few days since swapping to pitta, I've noticed that I'm nowhere near as bloated and I feel less hungry afterwards.
    Since I'm an avid grazer (prefer finger food and snacking to proper meals), a sandwich has been my go to food since I was a child and I knew that cutting bread out completely would do more damage than good in terms of health so I found a slightly better alternative and I still get my bread fix without needing to go back for more.
    In terms of other types of carbs, all I'm doing is reducing the amount I eat and swapping to the wholemeal version where possible but not cutting any of them out completely from my diet
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member

Freshbasil

Why are you so confused with her numbers? 75 grams of gf pasta for me yesterday, 260 cals...It's easy to fit what you want into your day, if you're thoughtful about it, which it appears she is.

I find the confusion odd too. Here's another example - I made a pumpkin Alfredo sauce the other day. 75g of pasta and 250g of sauce is 415 calories. PP's 400 calorie pasta bake is perfectly reasonable with 75g of pasta.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member

Freshbasil

I find the confusion odd too. Here's another example - I made a pumpkin Alfredo sauce the other day. 75g of pasta and 250g of sauce is 415 calories. PP's 400 calorie pasta bake is perfectly reasonable with 75g of pasta.

No confusion as of pasta calorie, 75g is indeed 260 cal but when you consider dressing it comes up way higher so i thought that her portion was like 50 grams or something considering it was alfredo chicken mushroom broccoli baked ziti pasta ( which I am total ignorant on what it actually is) maybe this kind of recipe is very light . Just curious i like to compare calories on my favorite food and pasta is one of that!
  • 916mike
    916mike Posts: 1 Member
    The current thinking is high protein and low carbs with moderate exercise. Cutting out wheat products and replacing with rye bread and oat products as well as avoiding alcohol, dairy and meats (classic detox) will also benefit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    916mike wrote: »
    The current thinking is high protein and low carbs with moderate exercise. Cutting out wheat products and replacing with rye bread and oat products as well as avoiding alcohol, dairy and meats (classic detox) will also benefit.

Benefit what? What does avoiding dairy and meat detox my body from?
  • Rit1603
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Freshbasil

Tell you the truth, i don't eat meat / fish(very rarely)/ cheese (never have) so By looking at my diary I am always under my protein goal. I still have trouble with meeting this goal . I eat eggs lentils beans tofu nuts.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    I eat bread and rice because I'm scared that if I don't I will lose the weight and put it right back on again when I eat a hamburger bun. But I do think it's not helpful when dieting, except for the nutrients.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member

Freshbasil

No confusion as of pasta calorie, 75g is indeed 260 cal but when you consider dressing it comes up way higher so i thought that her portion was like 50 grams or something considering it was alfredo chicken mushroom broccoli baked ziti pasta ( which I am total ignorant on what it actually is) maybe this kind of recipe is very light . Just curious i like to compare calories on my favorite food and pasta is one of that!

This is what I ordered. It's a 'hidden ' menu item that they no longer advertise but they still will make it if you ask :smile: And then I had two of their breadsticks with it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/fazolis-chicken-mushroom-alfredo-bake-400-calories-or-less-220397326
  • pislari_poljnamd
    pislari_poljnamd Posts: 45 Member
    No. Occasional slice or two or three is better then nothing;)
  • I try to, not because it's bad for weight loss so to speak, but rather its one of my temptations. If given a oppurtunity for a quality (home made especially) slice, I will definitely make room for it in my daily calories.
  • Rit1603

This is what I ordered. It's a 'hidden ' menu item that they no longer advertise but they still will make it if you ask :smile: And then I had two of their breadsticks with it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/fazolis-chicken-mushroom-alfredo-bake-400-calories-or-less-220397326[/quote]

thank you for sharing. I think though that they are a bit on the low on their calories because 9 oz amount to 255 grams and also another version of the same (without broccoli) dish they say 11 oz which is 311 grams still 400 calories... Maybe they use little pasta and lots of chicken and broccoli and no oil.... If they use 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil only that alone is 120 calorie. I'm just trying to get my mind around it...but I am going to give up and eat without obsessing too much,otherwise this app i will become a nightmare! Thank you ! looking forward to the next few months without too much obsession!