Did you tell your doctor you were doing LCHF/Keto etc

124»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    megemrj wrote: »
    @midwesterner85
    It was a urodynamics test that did it. Nurse practitioner said it has something to do with the emptying and filling of the bladder that causes the reaction. Honestly don't remember the specifics as I was a little foggy at the time. I broke out in a cold sweat and was light headed. They didn't take my BG just made me sit and drink the coke. It was a small glass bottle, I think 8 oz. So I drank around 3-5 oz. They wanted me to drink it all, but that wasn't happening.

I have been paleoish for 3+ years (almost 4) and Keto for about 7-8 months. The most carbs I eat are normally under 20-30 net or gross a day (according to what I want and how much chocolate tempts me). o:)

I know I will be asking about possible side effects for every test going forward.

Eta: BC auto correct hates me

Hmm.... I'm not familiar with that test, but I wonder if it somehow causes something like osmotic diuresis to occur. Usually, in clinical studies, that happens when glucose is above 225 mg/dl (higher than a non-diabetic would typically experience). Glucose is removed from blood and expelled through urine. Normally this wouldn't happen if your BG isn't really high, but it makes me wonder if the procedure forces such a reaction, which would cause BG to go low if starting normal.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    I'm not sure. I just researched it with my friend, Google, and he says it is pretty common but does not say why or what causes it. There were numerous women in a forum, not MFP, who were self diagnosing/attributing it incorrectly to panic attacks. At least for me that wasn't the case. I have never had one but my mother does, frequently, so I am very familiar with them.

IMHO, There is no way it is as common as the nurse said and be a panic attack. Also, I did find the hypoglycemia more plausible.

Maybe it had to do with a draining a warm full bladder and filling it full with a cold sterile solution?? You know nerve receptors and causing a system imbalance in my body?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Maybe it had to do with a draining a warm full bladder and filling it full with a cold sterile solution?? You know nerve receptors and causing a system imbalance in my body?

How would that lead to hypoglycemia?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    @midwesterner85
    It was a urodynamics test that did it. Nurse practitioner said it has something to do with the emptying and filling of the bladder that causes the reaction. Honestly don't remember the specifics as I was a little foggy at the time. I broke out in a cold sweat and was light headed. They didn't take my BG just made me sit and drink the coke. It was a small glass bottle, I think 8 oz. So I drank around 3-5 oz. They wanted me to drink it all, but that wasn't happening.

I have been paleoish for 3+ years (almost 4) and Keto for about 7-8 months. The most carbs I eat are normally under 20-30 net or gross a day (according to what I want and how much chocolate tempts me). o:)

I know I will be asking about possible side effects for every test going forward.

Eta: BC auto correct hates me

Wow! So they treated you for a condition they didn't bother to test to verify you were actually having? Crazy!
    Not to mention that you could've sipped a drink or two and waited 10 minutes to see if that along with your livers response (if it were actually low), would've been enough to correct it.
  • megemrj
    Not that it led to hypoglycemia but as an alternate reason or cause for the reaction.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I had the same thought. It is fast and easy to test BG (I do it myself an average of about 6 times each day), but they probably figured that if they were wrong and it wasn't hypoglycemia, then a Coke wouldn't hurt at least. That assumption is not necessarily true for a diabetic, and I would argue that someone on a long-term low carb diet who has become very sensitive to carbs should have been tested first. But I would not have known that before eating low carb, and I bet most medical professionals don't consider that either.
  • megemrj
    @Sunny_Bunny_

Exactly! I should have said no to the soda until I knew exactly what was causing it. Wasn't thinking clearly though... I'm still paying for it with a headache almost 24 hours later.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_

Exactly! I should have said no to the soda until I knew exactly what was causing it. Wasn't thinking clearly though... I'm still paying for it with a headache almost 24 hours later.

@megemrj - Keep us posted on what more you learn about this puzzling episode?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    My weight loss dr put me on low carb 50g< when I was found to be insulin resistant and on medication that affects my metabolism. My dietician tells me to eat turkey bacon instead of pork. I told her that I can't. Just can't. Since I've been sticking to the 50 carbs the weight is coming off slow but steady.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    darlswife wrote: »
    My weight loss dr put me on low carb 50g< when I was found to be insulin resistant and on medication that affects my metabolism. My dietician tells me to eat turkey bacon instead of pork. I told her that I can't. Just can't. Since I've been sticking to the 50 carbs the weight is coming off slow but steady.

Turkey bacon is not bacon. It's ground turkey and other crap shaped into an odd strip. In no way does it smell or taste like bacon. Plus, not better fat-wise than most center cut bacon.