Apple a Day April

Options
13»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    Two good days in a row, yay! I think my couple weeks of easing into it helped a lot. Kind of got my head back in the game but I wasn't going all pass/fail like I do.

B - watermelon
    L - salad same as yesterday
    D - hummus and romaine in a wheat wrap, steamer bag of veggies, watermelon

I'm really enjoying the crisp romaine lettuce and having salads for lunch again. I was burnt out on the spring mix I think. I still don't care much for the steamer veggies, they are kind of blah, but I have found adding some fresh squeezed lemon juice, a spoonful of nooch, and some fresh ground pepper, they are not bad at all. And for ease of preparation can't be beat. I stock up on them when they are on super sale.

• GillianETL
    GillianETL Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming, what a lovely group! So cool about meeting the Harry Potter actors, I'm a HUGE fan!! I had no idea there was a chance to meet them in Canada. Must have been really awesome for your daughter! Mine is still too young for the books and movies, I can't wait to read them to her!

So I fell off the wagon HARD last week. It started off innocently enough, I made some super healthy banana muffins for my DH and DD (with some dark chocolate chips, yum). A double batch actually because we had a lot of bananas that were going south quickly. Can you see where this is going....long story short I basically ate the better part of 24 banana chocolate chip muffins. And while I was on that binge I figured what the heck and had lots of pasta and bread. It was terrible, I felt terrible but still did it.

I'm back on the wagon this week and feeling great. Now I know to stay away from making stuff just for DH and DD because I can't resist! I'm having the most delicious breakfast and wondering why I can't just stick to this, it's so yummy and healthy! Organic rolled oats, a cut up banana, unsweetened cashew milk and some frozen mango pieces from Costco all warmed up for a few minutes. Heaven.

I like that site posted above for Amy's nutritarian kitchen, her vegan ranch dip is totally to die for!!

I also really love trainerisa.com/nutritarian-recipes/
    I've tried a ton of her recipes, most are great.

And lastly, I've been eating a lot of this cabbage dish lately and I'm loving it. I swapped out the butter for veggie broth and added a can of drained kidney beans, delish!
    allrecipes.com/recipe/20785/stewed-cabbage/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=2437&referringContentType=recipe%20hub
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!! Back from vacay, sorry I have been an absentee member for basically much of April. Surprise, it coincides with a major departure from the ETL wagon. Sounds like I'm not alone, which is comforting, but also frustrating for all of us I'm sure. I'm not even aiming for perfection, I'm just aiming for basics at the moment.

We had an awesome vacay! Got to soak up the sun, swim/pet the stingrays, snorkel in clear seas and have way too much wine and mudslides. It was a really nice break, but hubby and I both realized how out of shape and rotten we sort of felt on the inside. I feel like we are back now and re-motivated at least to get going and get back.

Karrie, I hear you, I have no desire to cook! I at least am craving lots of salads but mostly just lazy meals that require only minutes to put together. So maybe it really is back to basics. How is your week going with that? Also, WEASLEY twins!! They look way better in real life actually haha. Also, you look amazing!!!

Mihani, glad your tax season is over but it does sound never ending over there! How is the Raw Fit going? Thanks for all the blended salad recipes; I vaguely remembered reading about them but wasn't exactly sure. I'll try a few of those this week. They're so easy!

Terri, congrats on getting that nutrient score up! You are a hero! I hope you start reaping the benefits in your joints and feeling less pain too. Let us know how your first fast goes!

Gillian, great job dusting yourself off and getting back on! I think that's the best thing you can do. Your breakfast sounds yummy too!!

Carla, hang in there! I'm sure getting rid of those rotten people will be worth it in the long run! I hope your new and better more reasonable buyers are right around the corner. It really is insanely stressful, so don't beat yourself up too much right now. Maybe concentrate on some nice hikes/exercise rather than food to help the stress?

Love you guys! Nice to read up on everyone :)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Welcome home Lia! Glad you had a good trip. Sounds so relaxing. I haven’t been doing the raw fit this week, I’m trying to get back to more strictly ETL. Eating fruit at breakfast and it seems to hold me over really well until lunch.

Gillian, glad you are back on track. Sometimes that’s the hardest thing, to get back at it after falling off. Thanks for those links, I’m really going to try to eat some different things this time around. I get too much into a rut.

Another good day. Basically an exact repeat of yesterday with the addition of a clementine at lunch and an apple after dinner. I realize the hummus isn’t strictly ETL but it was in the fridge and I’m not throwing it out. I love hummus! I am going to have to look at some of the recipes on the Fat Free Vegan blog… Susan has lots of hummus recipes with no oil.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hummus yummy! Haven't tried the recipes below but they do look good. I really like Sabra Hummus. The few recipes I have made so far I have not liked as well as Sabra.

Roasted Eggplant Hummus
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4
    Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 medium eggplant
    1 bulb garlic
    1 cup cooked or canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup raw unhulled sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon diced onion
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    dash paprika

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prick eggplant with a fork and place on a baking pan along with garlic bulb.
    Roast garlic for 25 minutes or until soft and eggplant for 50 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft.

When cool, remove and discard garlic skins. Remove skin from eggplant.

Blend eggplant, garlic, and remaining ingredients except paprika in a food processor or high powered blender until smooth and creamy.

Top dip with paprika. Serve with assorted raw vegetables.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 161; PROTEIN 7g; CARBOHYDRATES 23g; TOTAL FAT 5.8g; SATURATED FAT 0.8g; SODIUM 8mg; FIBER 8.3g; BETA-CAROTENE 45ug; VITAMIN C 9mg; CALCIUM 135mg; IRON 3mg; FOLATE 107ug; MAGNESIUM 71mg; ZINC 1.6mg; SELENIUM 6.1ug

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
    Casinera

Serves: 10

Ingredients:
    2 red bell peppers
    1 head garlic, broken into cloves, papery skin left on
    4 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added or low sodium garbanzo beans, drained
    2 lemons, juiced
    1/2 cup ground unhulled sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon cumin

Instructions:
    Roast the red bell peppers and the garlic at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Garlic should be mushy and easy to remove from the skin and red peppers should be tender and easy to peel. Quarter peppers, remove seeds and peel. Squeeze garlic out of peel.

In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend the red peppers, garlic, beans, lemon juice, sesame seeds and cumin. Add a small amount of water if needed to achieve desired consistency. Work in batches if necessary.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 207; PROTEIN 9g; CARBOHYDRATES 27g; TOTAL FAT 7.9g; SATURATED FAT 1g; SODIUM 17mg; FIBER 7.7g; BETA-CAROTENE 403ug; VITAMIN C 38mg; CALCIUM 102mg; IRON 3.1mg; FOLATE 151ug; MAGNESIUM 54mg; ZINC 1.8mg; SELENIUM 3.3
  • Mihani
    Options
    Thanks Terri, those sound good. Tonight I made a wrap and just used half the usual hummus and added plain chickpeas to up the protein and reduce the fat. It was really good, super filling too. Probably have two more dinners worth of hummus left then I can move on to something else. Some things I really don't get tired of eating, and hummus is one of those things.

B - half a small cantaloupe
    L - the usual salad and two clementines
    D - the wrap and a bag of steamer veggies with lemon, nooch and fresh ground pepper

Not really hungry enough to have more fruit tonight. I am going out with a friend tomorrow after work. I'll have a glass of wine or possibly a margarita, and a vegan soft taco. They are small and I think as long as I only have one drink and one taco, skip the chips and salsa, it won't derail the momentum I've got going.

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! It is really nice to come back here and catch up on how everyone is doing. Sorry I've been absent so much.

Gillian, banana chocolate chip muffins are our downfall around here too. Great that you got right back on track though!

Karrie, you look fantastic and how super exciting to meet the Weasley twins!! I've read those books and watched the movies an embarrassing amount of time for someone who has no kids!!

Terri, Sabra hummus is my favorite brand too. The eggplant hummus looks really good, I might try that. It would be a good way for me to up my veggie intake.

Welcome back, Lia! It sounds like you had a fab time! Good suggestion to exercise away the stress instead of eating it away. We've used selling our house as an excuse, but I know if we were determined enough we could still be eating almost 100% ETL and getting in plenty of exercise. It is a mindset.

We've had quite a few showings at our place recently, and had a good turnout at our open house, but no offers yet. To be honest, I think it is a blessing that our buyers backed out because the house we had an offer on was near the top of our price range. It's like you were saying, Mihani, about doing more with less and not having huge bills to deal with. We've seen a few places already that are significantly less and still very nice.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Carla don't even worry about it. I have kids, but I'm way more into HP than either one of them! And I'm in an online knitting group where we are sorted into houses and then all of our knitted projects count towards house points to win the house cup!

Not only do I play, but I'm Gryffindor's Quidditch Captain, and I'm also a History of Magic Professor. :blush:

So yeah, I pretty much geek out over anything HP-related... (and/or knitting related....)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, hoping that it all works out for the best and that you find a good buyer AND the house you want.

And OMG I am totally geeked out on HP too. I re-read the books recently and then a friend loaned me the entire movie collection so I am working my way through those. I want to watch them while treadmilling, figured that would be good motivation, but I've been working too much. I am going to try to watch one on the treadmill this weekend though. I have not seen past the third movie. I wanted to read the books first.

Today:
    B - half a small cantaloupe
    L - the usual salad and 2 clementines
    D - a soft taco (vegan) and 2 margaritas (oops, but oh so good!)
    S - going to have something tonight, probably a slice of toast and an apple

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks for making me feel better about my Harry Potter addiction, guys!

Karrie, I LOVE that your knitting group is sorted into houses!! How did the sorting happen? (As on online group, I realize it's unrealistic, but I imagine a really cool knobbly knit sorting hat!) Maybe this winter I'll try my hand at knitting. You're certainly making it tempting.

Mihani, what a great idea to watch the movies while on the treadmill. I've tried reading while on the treadmill but I like to have my arms moving and the motion makes me a little sick while trying to read (and I lose my balance!) I might also start listening to podcasts instead of music. I'm always listening to the same music over and over and I get tired of it.

Speaking of podcasts, I recently discovered http://yourcreativepush.com/ There are 5 podcasts a week and I find a lot of them really interesting.

I have a suggestion for May's title. 'Make it Happen May' That is going to be my personal theme for May. I'm going to start a bullet journal and also going to read through and incorporate 'The Miracle Morning' system. I think getting up earlier and getting my workout done for the day will help me tremendously. Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea for the month so that each of us can decide what we're going to make happen in May :)

Looking forward to a fresh start tomorrow! (And starting today, salad for lunch!)

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend! It is a beautiful sunny day with blue skies here in the Pacific Northwest.
  • Mihani
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Carla, I like that idea! I will start up the thread tonight so I don't forget tomorrow.

I had a lazy day. I brought home tons of work to do and instead I took a nap and puttered around. Went to the grocery to get salad stuff for the week. I am going through a lot of lettuce now that I'm back to more strict ETL, and that's a good thing. I felt a bit blurgh today from the margaritas last night. I just don't think my body processes alcohol so well anymore now that I'm getting older, plus I've been eating very light the past week so it probably hit me harder. I didn't end up eating anything last night before going to bed and that might have helped if I had. Anyway, today was not as ETL as I would like, I wasn't in the mood for salad and was crazy carb craving.

B - skipped
    L - red lentil kale soup from the freezer stash
    S - Fruit bowl of an apple, strawberries and grapes, with a few walnuts
    D - spaghetti with marinara, and I added broccoli, diced carrots, mushrooms, onion

Definitely overdid the starches I had way more than a cup of spaghetti. And I'm fine on cooked veggies and fruit, but no raw veggies today. But I got in all the GBOMBS. Oh, and I also picked up some wheat berries at the organic store, going to make this tomorrow: ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/ but I will cut the olive oil in the dressing down. I think it will be good on my salads too, and I can skip the sunflower seeds I usually add to make up for the oil.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Carla, the whole HP knitting group is run by probably well over 200 volunteers, and it's so much fun! (Online, we fill out a form to be sorted, and then at least one volunteer has to go through and actually do the sorting).

Knitting is so easy to learn these days with YouTube. even now, if there's something I don't understand, YouTube always has the answer... :smile: