Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

15678911»

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    I somewhat enjoy it. I think I'm new enough to it that it is still pretty interesting. I've never really paid attention to this stuff before, which has led me here, trying to lose weight. It's sort of fun planning out my meals for the day in the app, and seeing what I have to adjust from my plan to hit my calorie goal...or realizing that I need to do more excercise to account for what I have eaten, or want to eat. It keeps me pretty focused, and it's working so far - I'm down 10 pounds in just under a month. The results are there, so it's hard to say I hate it. It's almost like a puzzle, putting it all together, seeing what I need more or less of to make my calorie and macro targets, as much as I can.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member

If you would please, explain the meaning "majoring in the minors," I would appreciate it!=)

In regards to the rest of your comment, I respectfully and highly disagree that the difference is infinitesimal. The direct effect of consuming " a couple dozen calories per day" multiplies over a course of a couple years. I believe this is significantly important especially for the folks who meticulously count every calorie. Weight gain at times can be very insidious until you wake up one day 15 pounds heavier.

I don't think anyone wakes up one day 15 pounds heavier. It takes a long time and well within any person's awareness that he/she's gaining. If you don't have the discipline to starve off hundreds of calories a day or two in a week or be a little more active to cancel out "a couple dozen calories per day" you only have yourself to blame.

To me it's very extreme to allow yourself to gain 100+ lbs and then one day turn around and count every single calorie!

I'll clarify. i could have worded that part better. I stated "a dozen calories a per day multiplies over a course of a couple years." Weight gain can be insidious until you "realize" you're 15 pounds heavier. You''d be surprised how often this happens to a lot of people. They may be in denial or just too busy to notice. Sometimes it takes a kid telling them they're fat or just seeing that one unflattering angle in the mirror that makes you say, "Man, I really gained weight!"

But if one is in maintenance and still weighing weekly like I do then you won't suddenly realise you have gained 15 lb.
    You will see what is happening on a weekly basis - even a monthly basis would do.

As stated upthread I now practice what I call lazy logging - so I still log but lots of guestimates and most things are not weighed.
    I also check my weight weekly - it has not varied by more than 3kg ( 1.5 kg either side of target) in over 2 years.

If it did I would change what I am doing.
    But it isn't broke and if it has been fixed for over 2 years, it hadn't likely to break now - so I am not fixing it.