Calorie Counter

Message Boards Fun & Games
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What would you do in this scenario???

Staceym2112Staceym2112 Member Posts: 911 Member Member Posts: 911 Member
You're stuck at work for 12 hours no lunch break. You forgot to pack a lunch but brought plenty of drinking water (no ice though). You find out that there is a water outage at your facility between 8am and at least 4pm that day. Notice calls for No water usage except to flush toilets, Loads of hand sanitizer on hand. They have also limited bathroom use to 2 bathrooms on the 1st floor out of 11 floors (including basement, where they keep you). You are the only one that is working in your office today and can not leave to get food etc because the facility would go into Chaos mode without you, even though most have the attitude that your job is menial.

Do you try not to use the restroom all day? Do you order take out (only options are Chinese, Pizza, and Jimmy Johns)? Do you wish you were at home instead of at work today?

Replies

• fireguy262fireguy262 Member Posts: 266 Member Member Posts: 266 Member
    use the bathroom anyway....definitely order takeout....I wish I was at home everyday instead of work
  • ValerieMartini2OlivesValerieMartini2Olives Member Posts: 3,088 Member Member Posts: 3,088 Member
    I am fairly certain that is illegal so I would be calling OSHA
  • Staceym2112Staceym2112 Member Posts: 911 Member Member Posts: 911 Member
    fireguy262 wrote: »
    use the bathroom anyway....definitely order takeout....I wish I was at home everyday instead of work

Definitely feel you on the wishing I was home everyday instead of work.
  • BoomstickChikBoomstickChik Member Posts: 153 Member Member Posts: 153 Member
    Honestly, I'd go home. I can't go 12 hours without eating and I can't (nor would I want to) order anything from those places.
    Plus 12 hours and no break, that's not right at all.
    Plus 12 hours and no break, that's not right at all.

On the days there is someone here to cover me I choose not to take that 30 min break so I can leave early instead.

With no one here, I still leave early instead of staying 12.5 hrs, but I don't get to choose to work that extra 30 minutes. There's no one here that can take my place. I could still run upstairs or something if our Subway was open or to the cafeteria but I'd eat in my office between working. Just can't leave facility grounds in case of a STEMI or something.
    edited April 2016
  • finny11122finny11122 Member Posts: 8,454 Member Member Posts: 8,454 Member
    Break the rules my darling and go for lunch .
  • MimiOfTheFraserValleyMimiOfTheFraserValley Member Posts: 121 Member Member Posts: 121 Member
    It's illegal to go that long without breaks. They can't expect you to NOT take a break. You also can't hold it in & need to use the bathroom from time-to-time. Use the bathroom. If you really can't leave, then, yes, order take out, but try & find a healthy option. You can't go that long without eating - it's not healthy.

As for feeling as if I'd rather be at home, I've felt that often with jobs I had in the past. haha :smiley:
    It's illegal to go that long without breaks. They can't expect you to NOT take a break. You also can't hold it in & need to use the bathroom from time-to-time. Use the bathroom. If you really can't leave, then, yes, order take out, but try & find a healthy option. You can't go that long without eating - it's not healthy.

As for feeling as if I'd rather be at home, I've felt that often with jobs I had in the past. haha :smiley:

They have 2 bathrooms open to employees and visitors; the idea of going in there with so many people not washing hands and touching everything grosses me out though (some of the people I come in contact with daily would chose not to wash their hands even if they could). I'm sure the patients all have their bathrooms available to them as well. I should have put in an order for 10 of my own bottles of hand sanitizer. I thought about calling one of my friends in the area to bring me lunch today, since I commute to work and can't run home.
  • synchkatsynchkat Member Posts: 38,057 Member Member Posts: 38,057 Member
    Find a sugar daddy and quit
  • Fi3ryR3dHeadFi3ryR3dHead Member Posts: 404 Member Member Posts: 404 Member
    synchkat wrote: »

Lol love it!!
  • VikMcAnikVikMcAnik Member Posts: 17,449 Member Member Posts: 17,449 Member
    synchkat wrote: »

*WINNER*
    Lmao sounds like a plan
  • ShaeDeterminedShaeDetermined Member Posts: 1,547 Member Member Posts: 1,547 Member
    fireguy262 wrote: »

this about sums it up.
    although this scenario sounds perfectly ridiculous.
    this about sums it up.
    although this scenario sounds perfectly ridiculous.

This day is turning out to be perfectly ridiculous honestly.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValleyMimiOfTheFraserValley Member Posts: 121 Member Member Posts: 121 Member
    Yes, I do see your point about people not washing their hands. Still, having to hold it all day would be agony. The whole thing is ridiculous, as you & ShaeDetermined said. I do feel for you!! I hope it's not like this every day.
    It's still not right, or legal, no matter how you look at it. I used to work 12-16 hours in the nursing field and was NOT allowed to take a break. We would actually get written up if we left the floor to get something to eat unless we were smokers. Needless to say, it only took so long for something to happen to these morons for doing this to us. That's dangerous.
  • Shells918Shells918 Member Posts: 1,075 Member Member Posts: 1,075 Member
    Definitely use the bathroom. It's unhealthy not to.
    Most Chinese menus have a light menu, steamed chicken or shrimp with veggies and sauce on the side. Pizza places usually have salads with grilled chicken. You should be able to make healthy choices.
    Yes, I do see your point about people not washing their hands. Still, having to hold it all day would be agony. The whole thing is ridiculous, as you & ShaeDetermined said. I do feel for you!! I hope it's not like this every day.

It's not like this everyday, this is just a random spur of the moment thing because there's supposedly 1 case of Legionnaires in the area. So they are flushing the water system and adding extra filtration devices as a precaution. We can still use 2 bathrooms on the 1st floor, toilets are still flushable but they blocked off the other bathrooms in the hospital temporarily to keep people from trying to wash their hands in them. They have the fountains and sinks taped off with red tape cause supposedly when they flush the system there will be an extremely high acid content for a few hours.
    edited April 2016
  • GreenGoddess22GreenGoddess22 Member Posts: 3,851 Member Member Posts: 3,851 Member
    Where the hell do you work?! Sounds like a lot of what is taking place is illegal.

I'd order take out, use the bathroom as needed (let them deal with the ramifications of unsanitary conditions) and use a *kitten* load of hand sanitizer.