Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do People not Understand what Debate Means?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lemon, unless I'm wrong, you seem to be bothered that people are commenting on people posting non debate threads here (which does seem pretty comical sometimes). Why? Obviously you can't make them read the FAQ or even the forum name or understand what "debate" signifies.

I am not bothered. The forums don't bother me at all (regardless of what is posted on the walls of others). OP asked a question. I provided an answer to that question and then, well... you know the rest.

So when the OP asked: "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?" The answer is most likely no. I provided the reasons. I have yet to see counter reasons for that. But since this is a debate section, then it should be a debate right? Otherwise, I will just move it to chitchat with all the other animal gifs.

I thought part of the hope for this section was that we could have more space for fun gifs.

I'm happy to debate if only to allow for the gifs.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2016
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Are we debating if cat gifs are awesome or not ? I would say no . I'm a dog person and am truly let down by the small number of dog gifs posted on mfp.

Oh and... Do I think people understand what the word debate means ? Well some do. I've noticed a lot of really odd threads posted here so its clear that others do not.

Listen. Cats are jerks, however they are also awesome and therefore GIFtastic!

Cats ARE jerks, fond as I am of them. My cat has taken to waking me up at 3:30 am every morning, when I already have sleep issues. I am trying to implement a Jackson Galaxy strategy, which basically involves ignoring the cat no matter what he does. This is HARD when you are half asleep and desperate to return to sleep. I grab the cat, hold him down and pet him, hoping he will go back to sleep and then I realize "oh, kitten! I was supposed to ignore him!"

Um, on debate:

I do think there's a factor who does not realize what debate means (or thinks "someone might disagree with the advice that is given, therefore it might be debate"). I think the bigger group doesn't read to see how the forum works or what the sections are. I do think it ought to be considered a bit of a faux pas (rather rude) to post a thread before reading the forum enough to understand it. As I've said before, it might be generational or something, but I can't imagine doing that. (Nor can I imagine posting most of the stuff in ChitChat.)

Oh, and disturbing cat photo, from "hairless cats that look like Putin":

68e5mt6j05ka.jpg
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Are we debating if cat gifs are awesome or not ? I would say no . I'm a dog person and am truly let down by the small number of dog gifs posted on mfp.

Oh and... Do I think people understand what the word debate means ? Well some do. I've noticed a lot of really odd threads posted here so its clear that others do not.

Sometimes there's just no other forum, to put it in; pertaining to what 1's seeking. Such as with my recent thread. I was asking for opinions, due to curiosity. I wasn't asking for help, advice, motivation and/or support & it was related to health specifically unlike Chit Chat, so that's why I choose here; to post it. Plus most health questions become debates anyway, regardless of the intention of the OP; so it made more sense to place it here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    psulemon wrote: »
    Lemon, unless I'm wrong, you seem to be bothered that people are commenting on people posting non debate threads here (which does seem pretty comical sometimes). Why? Obviously you can't make them read the FAQ or even the forum name or understand what "debate" signifies.

I am not bothered. The forums don't bother me at all (regardless of what is posted on the walls of others). OP asked a question. I provided an answer to that question and then, well... you know the rest.

So when the OP asked: "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?" The answer is most likely no. I provided the reasons. I have yet to see counter reasons for that. But since this is a debate section, then it should be a debate right? Otherwise, I will just move it to chitchat with all the other animal gifs.

I thought part of the hope for this section was that we could have more space for fun gifs.

I'm happy to debate if only to allow for the gifs.

b38388b091b967eb4d0d39b06ed7344f.jpg

edit: more appropriate pic
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Sometimes there's just no other forum, to put it in; pertaining to what 1's seeking. Such as with my recent thread. I was asking for opinions, due to curiosity. I wasn't asking for help, advice, motivation and/or support & it was related to health specifically unlike Chit Chat, so that's why I choose here; to post it. Plus most health questions become debates anyway, regardless of the intention of the OP; so it made more sense to place it here.

This is one reason we dont' have hard and fast rules for everything. There needs to be flexibility based on the situation. As an example, MFP doesn't allow VLCD's but we do make exceptions for doctor supervised plans.
  • lemurcat12
    Heh, NOT my cat (neither the bald one nor Putin). I changed photos before editing. Really!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    There are two types in my opinion. I will discuss them below....
    A. Those who think any back and forth or discussion is a debate. I can see how some people might believe that since that is one of the definitions of debate. I see some people posting "What do you think of 21 Day Fix/The Egg Fast, etc"??? I think the majority of the people posting this are not looking for a scientifically based debate, but just asking in general what people think about it? Does it belong here or does it belong in the General Section? That's debatable (pun intended).
    B. Those that haven't read the sticky at the top and do not understand the point of this thread, but know exactly where they are posting. I have seen a small number of people become agitated when being asked to back up their claims here. Luckily, it is not often, but when that happens it is clear that person does not understand the point of this section and how debate is expected to happen here. If you make a claim in this section (or anywhere IMO) then it is on you to back it up. This shouldn't be a fight to get people to understand that here of all places.

That is my answer and debate on if people understand what debate means.
    Regarding A, I would say it belongs here. IMO, not everything nutrition wise that could be up for debate necessarily has to have a concentrated scientific focus, much like those examples you gave. I tend to think in those cases, it becomes more a thing of people's opinions based on personal views, logic, and science (if necessary).

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    3RUcoK4.png

Classic.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I posit that the culture of self-affirmation is strong on the forums. Debate is threatening when you're looking for affirmation. So many people truly are not actually seeking debate. Most of them are not regular Debate Forum-goers by my observation.

jb77vexscmsh.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    This is an awesome thread---I haven't seen one like it in quite a while. o:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Heh, NOT my cat (neither the bald one nor Putin). I changed photos before editing. Really!

I'm just glad your cat finally got paroled. I missed seeing his adorable face.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Agreed! And this one reminds me of Leo:

And if you wanna even out the amount of doggy gifs then get to giffin'!!!

cute-funny-dog-animated-gif-33.gif

*sigh*
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

*sigh*

hahaha Leo!! <3<3
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

*sigh*

Awwww Leo. The only chihuahua I don't hate.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I am not debating the fact that cats are jerks. That's a known fact. They are also dangerous . I met a guy in the er who got a terrible infection by getting scratched by a wild jerky cat. ( that is really true. I honestly met some dude in the er for a cat scratch lol !)

My beef is lack of dog gifs. I feel they are better suited for mfp and I'm truly bothered by this. I feel like members still have a long way to go as far as dog giffing is concerned. And I'm not looking for the average lab or poodle gif. I'm talking about the good stuff. Like french bulldog gifs or even an English bulldog would do.

As a community we have a long way to go still before I could even consider being pleased with the gifs. Work on it people. Work on it.

#doggifsmatter