I want to build muscle

124»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    The book New Rules of Lifting for Life is my suggestion. I would ignore the nutritional advice in the book and focus on the work out program. Eat at maintenance calories or a small surplus (if you think you are too thin) while getting adequate protein (there will be many opinions on this but I am for 0.8-1.0 g x body weight): http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Life-Muscle-Building/dp/1583335137/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= You can see if your library has it and it is something you would interested in doing.

I started lifting and eating at maintenance a little over a year ago at age 40. I need to take new pictures, but I am on my way!
    sdgbg1tlcxp9.jpg
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    I take you just wanna be toned?

no I want more than toned, but not bulky

The more than toned but not bulky, does it mean visible muscle, like your photos? If yes, and starting at this age (not implying you are old, I am also in my 40s, just without 20 years of lifting behind you), this is something that will take time, effort, and knowing what to do.
    Regarding exercise, if you have absolutely no experience with strength training, start with a gym. Look for a place where there are free weights and trainers available to help, not a big generic gym where it is mostly machines and/or where you are basically on your own. It is different to start completely on your own and to put together a program after knowing the basics.
    Regarding actually achieving the look you are going for, it will mean cycles of cutting calories a lot, cycles of eating at surplus, intensive training (for example, a couple of hours weekly exercise will not do it) and patience. I doubt that anyone really looks like you want to look without actually making this their main occupation (like being a professional trainer, model etc). This is far from being fit or being strong. You want a combination of muscle and no body fat. It will take years of dedication to get this exact look. It is no easier (actually probably harder) than the average teenager wanting to look like a VS model.
    To give you an example, there are a few ladies on here who definitely look strong and can lift heavy and I am pretty sure they are investing lots of energy to it. Still, they do not look like what you are aiming for.
    So, learn what to do, get a trainer, be prepared to invest a lot to this project, regarding time and energy, be patient, and be prepared for some setbacks.

actually I started on my own with no gym as there is no gym close by,the closest one to me is 65 miles one way. I watched a lot of videos and the one that started me off with weight lifting was supreme 90 day system dvds. it wasnt barbell lifting but it was lifting weights.you also do a different body part every day and has a meal plan which of course I didnt follow. after that I graduated to the barbell and watched a lot of youtube videos on form and how to do certain things. lots of great instructional videos out there.As for no body fat, thats hard to accomplish, the less body fat in women the more it can interrupt hormones and can interrupt and stop the menstrual cycle.I agree it does take time though. The OP really doesnt have to start by going to a gym lots of people started at home. the Gym is not accessible for everyone and some gyms are not affordable as well. If she wants to go that route she can but in my 4 years of lifting not once have I injured myself(I know you didnt say anything about that).also start out slow, a progressive lifting program can help as well especially if you are a newbie to lifting
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

The more than toned but not bulky, does it mean visible muscle, like your photos? If yes, and starting at this age (not implying you are old, I am also in my 40s, just without 20 years of lifting behind you), this is something that will take time, effort, and knowing what to do.
    Regarding exercise, if you have absolutely no experience with strength training, start with a gym. Look for a place where there are free weights and trainers available to help, not a big generic gym where it is mostly machines and/or where you are basically on your own. It is different to start completely on your own and to put together a program after knowing the basics.
    Regarding actually achieving the look you are going for, it will mean cycles of cutting calories a lot, cycles of eating at surplus, intensive training (for example, a couple of hours weekly exercise will not do it) and patience. I doubt that anyone really looks like you want to look without actually making this their main occupation (like being a professional trainer, model etc). This is far from being fit or being strong. You want a combination of muscle and no body fat. It will take years of dedication to get this exact look. It is no easier (actually probably harder) than the average teenager wanting to look like a VS model.
    To give you an example, there are a few ladies on here who definitely look strong and can lift heavy and I am pretty sure they are investing lots of energy to it. Still, they do not look like what you are aiming for.
    So, learn what to do, get a trainer, be prepared to invest a lot to this project, regarding time and energy, be patient, and be prepared for some setbacks.

actually I started on my own with no gym as there is no gym close by,the closest one to me is 65 miles one way. I watched a lot of videos and the one that started me off with weight lifting was supreme 90 day system dvds. it wasnt barbell lifting but it was lifting weights.you also do a different body part every day and has a meal plan which of course I didnt follow. after that I graduated to the barbell and watched a lot of youtube videos on form and how to do certain things. lots of great instructional videos out there.As for no body fat, thats hard to accomplish, the less body fat in women the more it can interrupt hormones and can interrupt and stop the menstrual cycle.I agree it does take time though. The OP really doesnt have to start by going to a gym lots of people started at home. the Gym is not accessible for everyone and some gyms are not affordable as well. If she wants to go that route she can but in my 4 years of lifting not once have I injured myself(I know you didnt say anything about that).also start out slow, a progressive lifting program can help as well especially if you are a newbie to lifting

Honest question: If no one ever corrects you and you have no one to compare to, ever, how do you know you are not doing something wrong? As in, wanting to do an exercise and ending up doing something completely different (inefficient for example, or just different)? And this is not a question just for lifting, I would have the same question about pretty much any exercise routine where technique is involved.
    To get back to the OP's question, she did not say just that she wanted to become stronger or build muscle. I am pretty sure she can accomplish both these goals. She said she has as a goal to resemble some women who are professional models, whose job is to have this physique. This is a very different goal.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    I used those pictures as an example. I know they are professional models, it was to give everyone an idea of what I meant.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Honest question: If no one ever corrects you and you have no one to compare to, ever, how do you know you are not doing something wrong? As in, wanting to do an exercise and ending up doing something completely different (inefficient for example, or just different)? And this is not a question just for lifting, I would have the same question about pretty much any exercise routine where technique is involved.
    To get back to the OP's question, she did not say just that she wanted to become stronger or build muscle. I am pretty sure she can accomplish both these goals. She said she has as a goal to resemble some women who are professional models, whose job is to have this physique. This is a very different goal.

because for me there is no gym that I could go to and there are trainers online,and on youtube who show you proper form for lifting and what forms not to use. A lot of them also tell you how to tell if your form is off and some say to use a mirror.This is how I learned.I couldnt go anywhere where there was a trainer.I cant drive 65 miles one way just to find one. for some of us its not possible to get someone to show us how. There are many weightlifting sites who have great articles with videos and pics as well,some buy books on how to do it.I never said that she could not accomplish getting stronger and building muscle.please show me where I said that.I also never said she couldnt look like those women in the pic I said that it takes time,and that if she wants to go and see a trainer that she could and that I didnt. show me where I negated anything she said? There are many people who started lifting weights just by using videos,pics,books,and so on. not everyone here that started lifting went to a gym,thats all Im saying.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I used those pictures as an example. I know they are professional models, it was to give everyone an idea of what I meant.

I understood what you were getting at :)
  • sexymom04
    I chose no to go to the gym for financial reasons. There are 2 here in my town, but I can't see myself paying those prices. So I'll try by myself and go as far as I can :smile:
  • sexymom04
    e5ynvylpepnc.jpeg

Did my first workout tonight, chest and triceps ☺️
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    e5ynvylpepnc.jpeg

Did my first workout tonight, chest and triceps ☺️

congrats, nice bench btw
  • sexymom04
    Thanks
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

because for me there is no gym that I could go to and there are trainers online,and on youtube who show you proper form for lifting and what forms not to use. A lot of them also tell you how to tell if your form is off and some say to use a mirror.This is how I learned.I couldnt go anywhere where there was a trainer.I cant drive 65 miles one way just to find one. for some of us its not possible to get someone to show us how. There are many weightlifting sites who have great articles with videos and pics as well,some buy books on how to do it.I never said that she could not accomplish getting stronger and building muscle.please show me where I said that.I also never said she couldnt look like those women in the pic I said that it takes time,and that if she wants to go and see a trainer that she could and that I didnt. show me where I negated anything she said? There are many people who started lifting weights just by using videos,pics,books,and so on. not everyone here that started lifting went to a gym,thats all Im saying.

I am not really sure why the aggressive tone. I am honestly curious how one checks and corrects form while self-taught. I know I cannot do it, at least not for exercises where a mirror will not help. I also have witnessed lots of people at the gym executing exercises with form so wrong that they are pretty much defeating the purpose of the exercise, so it is something that can happen when not exercising alone too. I am not debating whether there is a valid reason to work at home, I am sure there are plenty of reasons that make this preferable for many people.
  • sexymom04

I am not really sure why the aggressive tone. I am honestly curious how one checks and corrects form while self-taught. I know I cannot do it, at least not for exercises where a mirror will not help. I also have witnessed lots of people at the gym executing exercises with form so wrong that they are pretty much defeating the purpose of the exercise, so it is something that can happen when not exercising alone too. I am not debating whether there is a valid reason to work at home, I am sure there are plenty of reasons that make this preferable for many people.

I am a little worried about that, making sure my form is right, but can't afford a gym membership. I wish I could

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member

One option is to post videos here to get form checks. Many knowledgeable lifters here that can give great pointers based on a video.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

There was no aggressive tone. Im sorry that you took it that way.I was explaining why I myself and others have to resort to doing things at home and learning on our own.The post was not meant to sound mean or cruel or even aggressive. but alas,it is the internet and things can often be taken the wrong way.wrong form for many means pain,injuries and so on. wrong form doing some exercises can also cause imbalance issues and cause falls as well.