Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

80% diet, 20% exercise.

123457»

Replies

• torreviejo
    torreviejo Posts: 27 Member
    ames105 wrote: »
    People tend to overestimate their calorie burn during exercise. Losing weight is mostly about food control and nutrition. The exercise has other benefits for your health so it is only good stuff (cardiovascular health, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc). However, too many people try to exercise off the weight (I ate a donut so I'll do ten extra minutes today) and it doesn't work that way. I've been successful with calorie control and walking/bike riding. That's all I've done for exercise and I'm down 78lbs. I'd guesstimate it being more like 90%/10%. Just my humble opinion.

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Weight loss is 100% diet. Yes, you can help it along with exercise, but even if you're running 20 miles a day, you won't lose if you're eating more than you burn. As to general overall health, exercise is just as important as diet. A healthy diet and regular exercise have benefits for your heart and other organs, your brain, your muscles, your bones, etc. For example, my cholesterol numbers are a bit out of whack. Not bad enough (yet) to need meds, but definitely outside the desired numbers. My doctor said that to lower my bad cholesterol, I needed to eat right and lose weight. But to raise my good cholesterol, I needed to EXERCISE. No amount of dieting will raise the good cholesterol; only exercise will do that. So in terms of cholesterol and heart health, both a healthy diet AND exercise are equally important. And sometimes when "dieting", we can lose muscle mass if we're not exercising. That can result in weaker muscles and bones (strength training actually lowers the risk of osteoporosis). So yes, you can lose weight sitting on the couch as long as you eat less than you burn. But will you be a healthy individual? No.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited May 2016
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    Weight loss is 100% diet. Yes, you can help it along with exercise, but even if you're running 20 miles a day, you won't lose if you're eating more than you burn. As to general overall health, exercise is just as important as diet. A healthy diet and regular exercise have benefits for your heart and other organs, your brain, your muscles, your bones, etc. For example, my cholesterol numbers are a bit out of whack. Not bad enough (yet) to need meds, but definitely outside the desired numbers. My doctor said that to lower my bad cholesterol, I needed to eat right and lose weight. But to raise my good cholesterol, I needed to EXERCISE. No amount of dieting will raise the good cholesterol; only exercise will do that. So in terms of cholesterol and heart health, both a healthy diet AND exercise are equally important. And sometimes when "dieting", we can lose muscle mass if we're not exercising. That can result in weaker muscles and bones (strength training actually lowers the risk of osteoporosis). So yes, you can lose weight sitting on the couch as long as you eat less than you burn. But will you be a healthy individual? No.

Weight loss is 100% exercise. Yes, you can help it along with diet, but even if you're eating a healthy diet, you won't lose unless you're burning more than you eat.

PS
    I applaud your use of "you're".
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Exercise is key for me. I literally feel better about my body immediately after a workout. It's also this difference between me looking like I'm just skinny and looking nice. Hell, in some ways, I'm losing weight so that I can do the things I want to do, like rock climbing. I cannot stay bottom heavy and expect to rock climb. Also, I know that my knees really get sore when I've been at my heaviest while pregnant so I need to be at a lighter weight for performance when hiking or running. At this point in my life - just had my last baby, I'm in my early 30s and happily married to a man who has found me attractive at any weight I've been - it's about feeling good in my body and the only way to do that is to be active. Plus, it's just so good for my mental health. So yeah, CICO is how I'm losing, and it'll play a part when I shift into maintenance, ole exercise plus will only increase over time.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

Your diet does also impact HDL. Exercise certainly helps, but LCHF diets have been shown to raise HDL, lower triglycerides, and change the pattern type of LDL. Medium chain sfa's and omega 3 pufa's are best for raising HDL.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »

Weight loss is 100% exercise. Yes, you can help it along with diet, but even if you're eating a healthy diet, you won't lose unless you're burning more than you eat.

PS

You do know that people burn calories without exercise, right?
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    I've still got a long way to go but even for me when I started I did nothing but count my calories and make some healthier choices and before I even began working out at all I lost 11 pounds. So, yes I would say that it's definitely in your diet.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

PS

Yes. I was being facetious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

PS

It's simply a reversal of the post to which it is replying. Both are equally true (or not).