Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating? (Also posted on the Fitbit community page)

Options
1235»

Replies

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Is the prize a million dollars and a free all expenses paid trip to Disney world?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Step: an act or movement of putting one leg in front of the other.

So, EVERYTHING IS STEPS.

FYI the elliptical actually does the opposite- It cheats you, not them. The stride length is longer for many people, so you get fewer steps.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

So, EVERYTHING IS STEPS.

FYI the elliptical actually does the opposite- It cheats you, not them. The stride length is longer for many people, so you get fewer steps.

The full definition. "An act or movement of putting one leg in front of the other in walking or running". Not ellipticalling ;)
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    trswallow wrote: »
    And nobody is going to say anything about boxing? Just think how many steps you can earn on the speed bag, once you get good at it.

As for biking, 1) unless you wear it on your foot or ankle it won't pick up many steps, and 2) a good running cadence is over 150 (many say 180 is "ideal") however on a bike a good cadence is 80 - 100. In my experience bike cadence maxes out around 120, there is a limit to how fast you can spin your feet in a tight little circle. Per minute that is still below what one can earn running.

I don't know how running cadence compares to walking or elliptical cadence.

Don't fitbits also use a manually entered stride and a GPS to help calculate steps (in addition to actual vibrations)? In which case, if you've set it based on your walking stride, it's going to give you more steps when you are running than you actually do, right? Since once run step takes you farther that a walk step?

If they don't do that I don't understand why someone would pay $150 for something worth $20 (standard pedometer).

Most Fitbits don't have GPS. Some activity trackers allow you to enter your walking stride length, and possible also your running stride, so that a more accurate calculation of distance can be performed.

Steps are counted based on the motion of the device in a way that is recognized as activity. In general that is going to be the up and down movement that occurs as part of each step. If it does not have a step stride length for calculating distance traveled then it will try to use the accelerometer to calculate the distance traveled.

I $20 pedometer won't calculate your calories with some degree of accuracy, track your sleep hours, do as good a job of filtering out incidental movements (car rides, shifting around in your chair, etc.), or differentiate between walking and running so that the right stride length is applied; and then sync it all up to the web for use with MFP.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

So, EVERYTHING IS STEPS.

The full definition. "An act or movement of putting one leg in front of the other in walking or running". Not ellipticalling ;)

a (1) : an advance or movement made by raising the foot and bringing it down elsewhere.

One foot in front of the other. Not just walking and running. Or are you the type who doesn't think skipping should count as steps? Or dancing?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So, EVERYTHING IS STEPS.

a (1) : an advance or movement made by raising the foot and bringing it down elsewhere.

One foot in front of the other. Not just walking and running. Or are you the type who doesn't think skipping should count as steps? Or dancing?
    That's not a definition I see in Oxford. Sorry.
  • jennycreative1
    jennycreative1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    She could just wave her arm around while sitting in a chair and get credit for steps as well... Has nothing to do with the rules of said challenge.

• jennycreative1
    jennycreative1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And Hornsby, I PROMISE you I was not sitting in a chair and waving my arms. I worked my *kitten* off during that challenge. I already had 10,000 steps banked before I'd even gotten to my 9:00 boxing class that morning. And no, did not use the speed bag, but ran, jump roped, burbeed, during class and got another 4000 steps in class, which is normal. And then I walked to the gym, got on the elliptical for 30 minutes because the treadmills were occupied, then got on the treadmill for another 40 minutes. But I also got another 1000 while shopping in Target. Should shopping count? I was stepping, but worked way harder on the elliptical.

I wasn't trying to cheat or be dishonest as you put it, just hit a PR.

The upset friend won anyway. The friend won the challenge, lost a friend. We're still not speaking.

(Sorry, I don't understand how the quotes work) LOL
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    While I would think cheating is a strong word for a Fitbit challenge, I do think it's dishonest. They aren't steps. Should a person on a bicycle get steps for pedaling?

Not at all dishonest.

Absolutely they should allow the steps for pedaling.

Unless everyone in the challenge stipulates, and agrees to steps only from walking, or any other activity, anything is fair game. It never even occurred to me that only certain steps would qualify. I have had a fit bit for over 3 years and have participated in a lot of these challenges and this is the first I have ever heard of this as being cheating. It is really bizarre to me that people think of this as cheating.

People need to get a grip, it is not the Olympics.

Agree to disagree. Steps means steps to me. Not glides. Not pedals.

Wow, I will have to go back to the fit bit site and see where it says "steps only" on the challenges. I am in one now that ends today.

The Fitbit counts steps. It's right there on the app screen. It says "Steps". The OP said steps as well. Just because there are issues with step trackers counting things that aren't steps as steps, doesn't make it right to count them. She could just wave her arm around while sitting in a chair and get credit for steps as well... Has nothing to do with the rules of said challenge.

"
    Record your workouts, automatically.
    Now you can track everything from hiking, dancing and aerobic workouts to soccer, tennis and other sports— without ever pushing a button.

LEARN MORE

Track the workouts
    you want.
    By default, SmartTrack recognizes activities when you've been moving for 15 minutes or more. You can customize which activities to track automatically, and when they should count.

CUSTOMIZE SMARTTRACK

Get credit
    toward your goals.
    Because SmartTrack records activities for you, you'll get a better picture of how you're progressing toward your weekly exercise goals.

TRACK YOUR PROGRESS"

^^The above is from Fitbit. I think it is self explanatory for what is fair.

Friends on fitbit say anyway you get steps is not cheating on challenges. Accusing someone that getting steps on the elliptical is cheating is wrong, it is not cheating.