10 week horseback riding challenge

Options
123457»

Replies

• Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Used a new bit on Quincy. He did perfect! He responded beautifully to direction without gaping mouth or head tossing. He even stopped as requested without having to get in his mouth. So happy! He was like a brand new horse. Excited to take him outside the pasture this weekend. Think I might actually take him somewhere. Gonna ride tonight and Thursday in the pasture, then Saturday, we will try the cattle lease. If he does good, I will take him with us to Eufala for the weekend. So proud of him.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Got another ride on Quincy yesterday. Again, perfect gentleman. We even braved going outside the pasture. We rode along the road for a bit, then out on the cattle lease. Too bad it got dark so quick, we would have gone farther. He seems to enjoy it. He was at the gate nickering when he saw me getting the saddle ready. Such a sweet old man. Changing a bit can make such a huge difference!
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't have a horse anymore. I lost my mare to Hurricane Katrina and since I had to relocate I now do not have a place to keep one. Or the money for that matter. I miss horses in more way than one. Having one wasn't just a physical thing, also mental, going to the barn, mucking stalls, grooming, riding, everything about it . I miss it terribly. It is just so relaxing. I miss the smell of my horse. I miss loading 97 bales of hay before I went to work lol, didn't have any weight problems then. Maybe I get the privilege of owning a horse again one day Btw. I did a little bit of everything. Grew up in Germany, so did a little show jumping, dressage/ eventing, then, when I moved to the US my best friend was a barrel racer, she taught me how to barrel race and goat tie lol. We even team penned, :D I am competitive and my mare was an extremely speedy off the track Appendix bred. But I can totally relate to Shoebacha, as much as I love working toward a goal, riding in nature and feeling in harmony with everything is a great feeling. I will live vicariously through this thread until I can get on my own again.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I ride every weekend. This was 2 weekends ago. Young horse, first outing (fun, not competition).wa9qnhrdig10.jpg
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge but it's too slippery here to ride right now and I don't have an indoor. I will, however, commit to doing some sort of activity with the horses every week. Even if it's just brushing or groundwork with them. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I plan to get a ride in tonight. Gonna be dark, but I have a flat pasture and a light. Just working on building muscle and cues right now anyway. Retraining a 26 yr old 16 H gelding is a chore. LOL
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    My best friend died unexpectedly yesterday morning in the lobby of my place of work. She was 39. Her 40th birthday is next Friday. Mine is March 24th. For the last 5 years, every year we have a big bash to celebrate both out birthdays and St Patrick's Day. This year we were all going to get tattoos. Now she is gone. When I left the hospital, I had just enough day light to get a 20 minute ride in on Quincy. He was a perfect gentleman again, and was a very kind listener. I feel closest to God while on horseback, and I needed to pray real hard. I spoke to God, and I spoke to my friend Laurel. As hard as this is now, I know it will only get worse with the passing of time. So many plans we had made that are just gone. I was going to plan her wedding, she was going to plan my baby shower. We were going to terrorize the nursing home folks. We were going to have a huge retirement bash. I have to walk past the place she died every day now when I come to work. I dont know if I can do it. I miss her so much, and its only been 24hrs. I am so glad I have my horses to help get me through this. They listen, carry me closer to God. I only got to share horseback riding with Laurel one time. I hope she heard me.
  • tufntender
    Options
    Oh wow, what a shock that must have been. I am so sorry, I really am. What happened? She was so young :(. .I am glad you have riding and your horses, being on horseback always helped me to get my mind of off things. I know the loss of your friend is going to leave a big void in your life, and it is extra tragic that it happened in a place where you will be reminded of it pretty much daily. I hope your pain eases in time and you can enjoy the memories you two shared. I am sure she heard you and maybe you can get a tattoo in her memory.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I had a dream that put me at peace Saturday night. I have accepted that she is gone and am focusing on comforting her mom and out closest friends. I did not have time or weather conducive to riding over the weekend, but I got a lot of reflecting done and can finally talk about her without crying. I have a strong support system, even though she was the strongest one I ever had. Normally, she would be the one comforting me through turmoil like this. I miss her terribly, but I know she is happy. The medical examiner said it was blood clots.
  • tufntender
    Options
    I am glad that your dream put you at peace and that you have a strong support system. The weather here is icky too. I so wish I had a place to ride. I never much liked riding in the summer, usually just way too hot and sweaty for both of us and the horseflies, my lord lol. I like it when it is nice and crisp out so you work up to a good body temp. Hope you get to ride soon. :)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I managed to get off work tomorrow. The funeral is at 2, so we are getting up early to go ride at Prague Lake for an hour or so. Then the weather is nice for Friday and Sunday at Lake Eufala. Might stay an extra night since Saturday is supposed to be thunder storms all day. We will be fishing Sunday morning instead of Saturday.
  • ChevyChey
    ChevyChey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im in
  • tufntender
    Options
    May have found a place to ride. A lady had an ad , looking for a riding companion/ helper/ buddy. Said she has the horses and the facility. So I wrote her and told her my Equine background and she wrote me back and seemed interested. Turns out, she is into Dressage which isn't exactly my forte'. Guess we shall see if something materializes. That would be outstanding. Wish me luck, ladies
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I took my horses to Lake Eufala. Rode the trail a little while, but it is all rocks. Ended up riding back along the road. I will not be going back there to ride. Kind of a bummer, but I was very sick anyhow and should not have been riding at all. But I did not haul my horses over 100 miles for 4 days to sit in stalls. LOL If I am better this weekend, we will be going to Prague Lake. They have perfect trails. And much closer and cheaper!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    JEALOUS of you all. If I had horses, I'd definitely be in. Always a dream of mine to have them.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    We rode on the weekend. My calves are sore now for some reason, not sure why. But just my girlfriend and I went, and we're both experienced riders so we had a bit of a hoon so maybe that's it :)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    My best horse buddy that moved away is coming to visit this weekend. First time I will see her in two years. We are going to go riding. So excited.