1300 calories and no weight loss in 10 days what am idoing wrong

Replies

• SheltonMama
    SheltonMama Posts: 5 Member
    You said, "My Tom is due shortly though," - meaning, you're expecting soon? If so, 1300 calories may not be sufficient during pregnancy and most woman gain (without trying) in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy due to the baby's growth - this could explain no weight loss.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    You said, "My Tom is due shortly though," - meaning, you're expecting soon? If so, 1300 calories may not be sufficient during pregnancy and most woman gain (without trying) in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy due to the baby's growth - this could explain no weight loss.

Tom = time of the month. In other words - her period. Meaning no baby.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

I went back and skimmed the thread and OP never mentions that she's pregnant, only breastfeeding. Ofc, I may be confusing the other 16 pregnancy threads with this one.
  • afatgirl2016
    afatgirl2016 Posts: 6 Member
    I know you probably hear these all the time, but I went from eating so much junk and whatever I wanted probably over 3000 every day to 1300 tracking everything and walking frequently. I was so good this weekend and went for an hour hike each day I was so excited to step on the scale this morning and nothing.. I don't get it especially because I have a lot of weight to loose I thought it would drop a lot quicker.

I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat. I stopped logging my calories a few days and binged yesterday, I just feel like giving up!! I'm going to push myself to start again tomorrow. Stay strong, you'll get there xxx
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

I went back and skimmed the thread and OP never mentions that she's pregnant, only breastfeeding. Ofc, I may be confusing the other 16 pregnancy threads with this one.

Well yeah, that's what no baby means. She's not pregnant. That's why I said she's not pregnant. Because she never said she was pregnant. The poster above me was saying she was having a little boy named Tom. Tom isn't the baby its her period.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Gootee0406 wrote: »
    I have started to see a weight loss doctor who says if you spread it forget it, no oil what so ever, only 1 fruit a day. I can only eat lean protein, green non starchy veggies. I am not allowed to have anything crunchy no cereal or snack like foods. Look at the type of calories you are eating. I am new to this myself, just wanted to offer what I have learned about my eating.

this is totally ridiculous.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Focus on process goals, not outcome goals.

Learn to find joy in the process.

If you depend on a number on the scale to be the determining factor in if you are making progress or not, you're gonna have a bad time.

On another note, you might find this interesting. http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/

68892776.png
  • ArielleMarieB
    ArielleMarieB Posts: 19 Member
    I don't have a scale. I measure everything I eat. When my cereal says 1 cup I use one cup. When all my chicken calories is already stated per chicken breast so I use that. I measure my oatmeal. I eat the amount of peanuts it says for calories, I have Annie's gluten free granola bars and Lara bars as a lunch or breakfast which states the calories and usually always chicken wrap chicken salad chicken on a flat out or Turkey burger for dinner
  • ArielleMarieB
    treebee5 wrote: »
    Are you drinking diet soda or flavored waters that have a lot of sodium? I drank so much water this last week I felt like I was trying to drown my internal organs. Drinking water really does make a difference, it's especially noticeable in the beginning.

Snh. Diet sodas and flavoured waters do NOT have a lot of sodium in them.
    no but I do drink a sugar free monster every morning but I'm always still under my sodium. The rest of the day I drink water

• WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    my dogs are looking at me as if I've lost my mind I'm laughing so hard.
  • ArielleMarieB
    I'll buy a scale for when I expand my food horizon I bit. Thanks for the ones who helped. I always didn't mention I have hypertension do I know that can play a big part. I just didn't mention it because it's frustrating and I don't like thinking it can hold me back from this journey. Thanks y'all
  • ArielleMarieB
    charlene77 wrote: »
    This was me before! After eating well and working out. I GAINED five pounds in the first threes weeks!!!!!!
    Instead if giving up I kept doing it.

The next week I lost 5 pounds. I then went on to lose 60 pounds in five months.

Dont give up. Eat healthy, work out. If you are at a calorie deficit you will end up losing weight!

Sometimes we retain water and crazy stuff......just keep going. It will happen for you!

#justdoit #dontgiveup! #itwillwork!
    Thank you!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't have a scale. I measure everything I eat. When my cereal says 1 cup I use one cup. When all my chicken calories is already stated per chicken breast so I use that. I measure my oatmeal. I eat the amount of peanuts it says for calories, I have Annie's gluten free granola bars and Lara bars as a lunch or breakfast which states the calories and usually always chicken wrap chicken salad chicken on a flat out or Turkey burger for dinner

That's probably your issue. 1 cup is not 1 standard measuring cup. 1 cup of cereal can weigh vastly different amounts depend on how much you pack in the cup.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGcdyfDM3oQ
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016

Invest in a scale.
    Even single serve packaging can be weigh more than it should. I had a whole box of protein bars a couple weeks ago that every bar weighed 50-60 grams when a serving size was 45 g. That took my 170 calorie bars to well over 200 calories.

It's very easy to underestimate how much your eating with measuring cups. They are really only accurate for liquids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9ZSGeBkqc
    12 grams doesn't sound like a lot, but with oats that is equal to 45 calories. Making errors like that multiple times throughout a day will add up fast and potentially erase any deficit you thought you had.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member

"Per chicken breast" is an extremely inaccurate way to log chicken breasts. I have bought chicken breasts that weigh in (raw) at 3 oz, and I have bought chicken breasts that weigh in at 18 oz. The average I get over the counter at my grocery (not packaged, but definitely not organic) is actually about a pound (very busty chickens around here, I guess), but the USDA database average individual breast is about half that size.

In my experience, the "standard" weights used for individual pieces of meat (as well as individual pieces of fruit or vegetables) used by the USDA for their calorie database are way smaller than what I buy at the grocery store. Not at all sure what the story is behind that -- I'm sure there's a good reason -- but it's consistent.

A lot of people are serious scale evangelists and are adamant that you CANNOT use volume measurements. While I agree with them that volume measurements are extremely unreliable and almost always tend to UNDERESTIMATE the actual amount of food by 10%-25%, I tend to think that matters more for calorie dense food like peanut butter (or nuts -- never measure nuts in a measuring cup LOL). It's better to use measuring cups than not measure at all though.

Scales cost next to nothing and are easy to get into the habit of using. At first it feels a little disruptive, but if you stick with it there's a workflow and it actually starts feeling easier than anything else. (For instance, you don't get measuring cups dirty, and often you can weigh right on your plate or in the mixing bowl or prep bowl you're using anyway).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Buy a food scale ASAP. Weigh everything...even the granola and Lara bars, as they can easily weigh more than what they say.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    The scale and patience are your only 2 issues.

I'll say it again, it's ONLY been 10 days.
  • ArielleMarieB
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I'll say it again, it's ONLY been 10 days.[/quote yea but 10 days eating amazing and working out hard you would typically at least expect a pound or two. Something. I feel like almost 2 weeks of nothing when you're trying to kick *kitten* is disheartening
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I'll say it again, it's ONLY been 10 days.
    yea but 10 days eating amazing and working out hard you would typically at least expect a pound or two. Something. I feel like almost 2 weeks of nothing when you're trying to kick *kitten* is disheartening
    Yes, it can be a little disheartening, but you have to look at the bigger long term picture. Weight loss isn't linear. There's no instant gratification in weight loss. It takes alot of time and patience. 10 days can easily be normal fluctuations from all sorts of sources. That's why it's not linear. You can not lose weight for 3 weeks and then suddenly be down 3 lbs. You can lose 2 lbs one week and then the next be up 4. It's all normal. It just takes time and patience and looking at the bigger picture. As long as there continues to be a downward trend, you're fine. If you're not losing weight for 4-6 weeks, then it's time to reevaluate your calorie goal and what you're doing. But 10 days doesn't determine success or failure. It just means you have to be patient.