Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    I still think that doctors should be willing to take complaints from larger patients seriously rather than dismissing everything as weight-related. I've heard of people having undiagnosed tumors, even, because doctors just assumed whatever was wrong had to do with weight/could wait to be dealt with until the person was thinner.

Thankfully this way well become a moot point in the next 10-20 years with the rise of cognitive healthcare computing / IBM Watson Health.

Cool! That was news to me.

https://ibm.com/watson/health/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I still think that doctors should be willing to take complaints from larger patients seriously rather than dismissing everything as weight-related. I've heard of people having undiagnosed tumors, even, because doctors just assumed whatever was wrong had to do with weight/could wait to be dealt with until the person was thinner.

Thankfully this way well become a moot point in the next 10-20 years with the rise of cognitive healthcare computing / IBM Watson Health.

We'll see. A major health and research center (and a 'rival' of ours) severed their contract to use Watson fairly recently. The rumor is that it was for reasons of poor results and potential information security risks.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

We'll see. A major health and research center (and a 'rival' of ours) severed their contract to use Watson fairly recently. The rumor is that it was for reasons of poor results and potential information security risks.

Ooh, interesting.

The potential seems enormous for healthcare but let's see if the execution matches it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I just had the shock of my life, I actually decided to go on blogs, sites and reading their posts...
    The movement have nothing to do with the so called fat shaming, their message is full of hatred and simply crazy dangerous...
    Please go and check it out by yourself!
    > thisisthinprivilege.org

Realize that the site's "stories" are mostly *kitten* made up by people trolling them. Poe's Law applies.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What is this new mental health pandemic sweeping the globe causing billions of people to eat above their maintenance calories?

I think we've evolved that way--much of human history involved periods of low food/starvation. We were made to eat as much as we could when we could and store fat for lean times. Then our science out-paced our evolution. Food is more widely available, at all times, but much of that food is high in calories, often empty calories. Our ancestors likely would have been fat too if they'd had donuts on every corner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    When will humans ever understand that NO human makes long term changes for better health from external forces but by only internal forces.

I had to come to understand I was rushing towards a premature death from my fatal attraction to carb abuse in my case. After I realized I was in denial then I internally decided to change my WOE (Way Of Eating) to reverse my health decline. That was over two years ago.

This applies to everything in life not was one's WOE.

Actually, one of the major things that affects whether people successfully lose weight or not is whether they believe they have a strong need to do so. This may have to do with social pressure, but statistically a huge driver is getting a bad health diagnosis or warning -- that often helps people change behavior and lose weight. I think that's from the outside. A lot of people who were going on thinking "oh, I should lose weight and will, tomorrow," for years are actually spurred to action.

For other people it's other things. I never had a health issue, but got to the point where I just couldn't stand it anymore. It's harder when I'm generally okay with myself, even though I'd like to lose a few more lbs -- for me I need to find other incentives.

I'd call a bad health issue/fear of death something from outside. It's that concrete reason to make sacrifices or change that sometimes people seem to need. (IMO, one part of weight loss is being able to identify a concrete reason.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When will humans ever understand that NO human makes long term changes for better health from external forces but by only internal forces.

I had to come to understand I was rushing towards a premature death from my fatal attraction to carb abuse in my case. After I realized I was in denial then I internally decided to change my WOE (Way Of Eating) to reverse my health decline. That was over two years ago.

This applies to everything in life not was one's WOE.

Actually, one of the major things that affects whether people successfully lose weight or not is whether they believe they have a strong need to do so. This may have to do with social pressure, but statistically a huge driver is getting a bad health diagnosis or warning -- that often helps people change behavior and lose weight. I think that's from the outside. A lot of people who were going on thinking "oh, I should lose weight and will, tomorrow," for years are actually spurred to action.

For other people it's other things. I never had a health issue, but got to the point where I just couldn't stand it anymore. It's harder when I'm generally okay with myself, even though I'd like to lose a few more lbs -- for me I need to find other incentives.

I'd call a bad health issue/fear of death something from outside. It's that concrete reason to make sacrifices or change that sometimes people seem to need. (IMO, one part of weight loss is being able to identify a concrete reason.)

I see your points but the "fear of death" can ONLY be an Internal force because it is only a mental force inside of one. Now if you are talking about getting and believing External info then making Internal mental changes I agree.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    CORRECTION: when they get their own lives, they won't be so concerned with others' lives.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I just had the shock of my life, I actually decided to go on blogs, sites and reading their posts...
    The movement have nothing to do with the so called fat shaming, their message is full of hatred and simply crazy dangerous...

Realize that the site's "stories" are mostly *kitten* made up by people trolling them. Poe's Law applies.

You obviously haven't read the work of Virgie Tovar, Marilyn Wann, Ragen Chastain, Kath Reid, Lindy West or Jes Baker.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Some people also have legitimate medical contributions to their anger issue, which may result in abusing their family members.

Be it weight or anger management, the number of people with a legitimate medical cause is quite small.

Many, if not most of the most common mental health issues are real, legitimate medical issues. What we know about brain chemistry is really both quite remarkable and very limited
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    What is this new mental health pandemic sweeping the globe causing billions of people to eat above their maintenance calories?

I think we've evolved that way--much of human history involved periods of low food/starvation.
    We were made to eat as much as we could when we could and store fat for lean times. Then our science out-paced our evolution. Food is more widely available, at all times, but much of that food is high in calories, often empty calories. Our ancestors likely would have been fat too if they'd had donuts on every corner.

Evolutionary changes in a species take many generations. The industrial world has developed the obesity problem in a very short time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I think we've evolved that way--much of human history involved periods of low food/starvation.
    We were made to eat as much as we could when we could and store fat for lean times. Then our science out-paced our evolution. Food is more widely available, at all times, but much of that food is high in calories, often empty calories. Our ancestors likely would have been fat too if they'd had donuts on every corner.

Evolutionary changes in a species take many generations. The industrial world has developed the obesity problem in a very short time.

This is pretty obvious when you look at races like the Hadza: one of the few hunter-gatherer civs left in the modern world. These people will gorge themselves at times of availability, sometimes throwing down 10k+ kcals at once in things like honey, tubers and meats. They still manage to average in the 8-13% bodyfat range for males.

Something about that whole "have to actually work for food and don't know how big the next meal will be anyway" allows for such things, with no ill consequences on health.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »

You obviously haven't read the work of Virgie Tovar, Marilyn Wann, Ragen Chastain, Kath Reid, Lindy West or Jes Baker.

Or Kelli Jean Drinkwater, Julianne Wotasik, Kath Read, Jeanette DePattie...

Ragen Chastain flat out told a woman not to lose weight after the woman's doctor said that weight loss could prevent her from going blind.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member

Or Kelli Jean Drinkwater, Julianne Wotasik, Kath Read, Jeanette DePattie...

Ragen Chastain flat out told a woman not to lose weight after the woman's doctor said that weight loss could prevent her from going blind.

What do doctors know anyway? They're just hiding their 'fatphobia' under the guise of medical qualifications /sarcasm

That is exactly what Ragen Chastain believes, minus the /sarcasm.

This is pretty obvious when you look at races like the Hadza: one of the few hunter-gatherer civs left in the modern world. These people will gorge themselves at times of availability, sometimes throwing down 10k+ kcals at once in things like honey, tubers and meats. They still manage to average in the 8-13% bodyfat range for males.

Something about that whole "have to actually work for food and don't know how big the next meal will be anyway" allows for such things, with no ill consequences on health.

And that means the next meal could be two or three days from now, not "I don't know if I'm going to have time for lunch today."

Going 24 hours without food occasionally for someone of normal health will not hurt them at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017

Surely you understand that the poster you are responding to was not at all suggesting that recent evolutionary changes are why we are (on average) fat now, right? Your comment therefore does not seem to follow.

The poster said that in the environment in which we evolved food was more scarce, not nearly as available (and not nearly in as convenient, high cal packages) as it often is now. We evolved under different circumstances and so tend to find it easy to want to eat when food is available (precisely because it was common for food to not be available for periods of time and it was important to be able to eat when it was). Not everyone is this way, but that humans biologically are often prone to becoming overweight when food is easily available in huge amounts and in forms that appeal to our senses is not surprising and does not suggest there is something sick about us, that we'd all be perfect intuitive eaters if we weren't suffering from some preexisting problem, as some claim.

Obviously (IMO), this does NOT mean that we can't lose weight or find ways of dealing with our instincts and desires when it comes to the prevalence of food. I think we can -- figuring that out is also one of our skills as humans, IMO. For a long time culture played a role in it (customs about eating), and for many of us the answer is to impose our own structure in some way so that it's not all about "food there, I want, I eat."