Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    you all are taking what like 12 bad eggs have said and making that what fat acceptance is all about.

The ASDAH website has abandonded health as an objective because it's moralistic. That's not a "bad egg" in the movement, HAES and ASDAH is a pivotal arm of the Fat Acceptance Movement.

asdah and haes are literally specifically all about health... what are you even referring to?

ASDAH and HAES are pivotal arms of the Fat Acceptance Movement.

Fat Acceptance is politicized and not just some people posting on tumblr. I don't know what you think it is.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    oiywb0tbzun0.jpeg

who here is trying to say that's ok?
    Never said it was anyone here. I've just seen this sort of mentality among extreme feminists.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    you all are taking what like 12 bad eggs have said and making that what fat acceptance is all about.

The ASDAH website has abandonded health as an objective because it's moralistic. That's not a "bad egg" in the movement, HAES and ASDAH is a pivotal arm of the Fat Acceptance Movement.

asdah and haes are literally specifically all about health... what are you even referring to?

Fat Acceptance is politicized and not just some people posting on tumblr. I don't know what you think it is.

yeah, and the poster said they abandoned health as an objective... but then why's it still called asdah and not asd? the website is all about health?
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    oiywb0tbzun0.jpeg

Never said it was anyone here. I've just seen this sort of mentality among extreme feminists.

you've seen that mentality among idiots who've never applied a bit of critical thinking is more like it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

yeah, and the poster said they abandoned health as an objective... but then why's it still called asdah and not asd? the website is all about health?

But it's not about health any more, so they've abandoned that and are just about size diversity.

They are a major player in EVERY FA conference.

What do you think the Fat Acceptance movement is? It's a group of scholarly types (thought leaders) who are working to change policy and thought, getting into institutes of higher learning. It's organizations like ASDAH and individuals with degrees.

It's not just people posting on tumblr or Facebook.
  • MJ2victory
    Options

Some choice quotes from this:
    Pursuing health is neither a moral imperative nor an individual obligation, and health status should never be used to judge, oppress, or determine the value of an individual.

Cagey language here to mask what's really being said. Of course you shouldn't judge someone on their health status. That's laudable.

However, read between the lines. That sentence also says that the pursuit of health as a goal isn't something someone needs to do.

That's backing off the original HAES principles which touted healthy behaviors at every size. Now they're not an obligation.

Okay, next:
    The framing for a Health At Every Size (HAES®) approach comes out of discussions among healthcare workers, consumers, and activists who reject both the use of weight, size, or BMI as proxies for health, and the myth that weight is a choice.

Sweet little lies. Weight is always a choice. It might not feel like one, but every morsel of food or drink that passes your lips is a choice.
    Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalize access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.

What does this mean? A lot of health related treatments are weight limited or weight-specific, and denying that fact, ignoring it, or insisting that it's fatphobia that say, joint replacements which have weight limits are being denied because patients don't meet the weight requirement isn't going to change facts.
    Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualized eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.

Ignores the fact that overeating is disordered eating.

I could go on and on, especially in the question and answer part. Suffice to say, this group isn't some fringe organization.

I could write a similar post where I go line by line on my opinion of your opinion of these points but tbh I'm tired of putting this much energy into a debate where neither of us is going to concede an inch. We don't agree on the details but I really think that overall we both agree in loving oneself enough to make healthier choices and that's what really matters. Now this fatty right here needs to focus on her own self :D PEACE!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Some choice quotes from this:
    Pursuing health is neither a moral imperative nor an individual obligation, and health status should never be used to judge, oppress, or determine the value of an individual.

Cagey language here to mask what's really being said. Of course you shouldn't judge someone on their health status. That's laudable.

However, read between the lines. That sentence also says that the pursuit of health as a goal isn't something someone needs to do.

That's backing off the original HAES principles which touted healthy behaviors at every size. Now they're not an obligation.

Okay, next:
    The framing for a Health At Every Size (HAES®) approach comes out of discussions among healthcare workers, consumers, and activists who reject both the use of weight, size, or BMI as proxies for health, and the myth that weight is a choice.

Sweet little lies. Weight is always a choice. It might not feel like one, but every morsel of food or drink that passes your lips is a choice.
    Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalize access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.

What does this mean? A lot of health related treatments are weight limited or weight-specific, and denying that fact, ignoring it, or insisting that it's fatphobia that say, joint replacements which have weight limits are being denied because patients don't meet the weight requirement isn't going to change facts.
    Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualized eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.

Ignores the fact that overeating is disordered eating.

I could go on and on, especially in the question and answer part. Suffice to say, this group isn't some fringe organization.

I could write a similar post where I go line by line on my opinion of your opinion of these points but tbh I'm tired of putting this much energy into a debate where neither of us is going to concede an inch. We don't agree on the details but I really think that overall we both agree in loving oneself enough to make healthier choices and that's what really matters. Now this fatty right here needs to focus on her own self :D PEACE!

That we do agree on, for sure!
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    oiywb0tbzun0.jpeg

Are you saying that "real women have curves" is a feminist statement? Really?
    Never once did I say, or even imply that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    oiywb0tbzun0.jpeg

Are you saying that "real women have curves" is a feminist statement? Really?

I didn't get that. It was more a poke at people who claim to be feminists then will also say real women have curves as if that isn't ironic. And yup, I've seen plenty of women say this but it is more about self justification/acceptance than anything else. Because in reality if they know someone who is very slim or were slim themselves, they know that all women are real.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/magazine/why-is-fat-a-feminist-issue/

"As I have learned more about the fat activist movement and current issues in fat activism, I have also learned more about feminism — almost by default. The more I have learned, the clearer the correlation between discrimination against fat people and discrimination against women has become."

"What makes fat a feminist issue is the fact that fat women take up more physical space, are seen as more bothersome, and are viewed as less desirable to look upon."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not all feminists think this.

Edit: I think such thinking would be more in line with third wave radical feminism. Not all feminists are third wavers.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Edit: I think such thinking would be more in line with third wave radical feminism. Not all feminists are third wavers.

I'm seeing a tremendous amount of articles just like this. It seems as though this is the stance of modern day feminists.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I'm seeing a tremendous amount of articles just like this. It seems as though this is the stance of modern day feminists.

Oh, you hang around with lots of feminists?
  • peckchris3267
    Options

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_feminism

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/08/i-understand-fat-acceptance-movement/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thetab.com/2014/04/25/is-fat-the-new-female-fat-justice-could-overtake-feminism-as-the-buzzword-of-our-generation-13594/amp

"This movement evolved from various areas of identity politics, including the feminist idea that fat shaming was a veiled form of misogyny and that being obese should be a source of empowerment for women, rather than something else to criticise about them."
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Oh thanks. I'd never seen that before. I'm from the seventies :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_feminism

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/08/i-understand-fat-acceptance-movement/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thetab.com/2014/04/25/is-fat-the-new-female-fat-justice-could-overtake-feminism-as-the-buzzword-of-our-generation-13594/amp

"This movement evolved from various areas of identity politics, including the feminist idea that fat shaming was a veiled form of misogyny and that being obese should be a source of empowerment for women, rather than something else to criticise about them."

And?

• peckchris3267
    Options

Oh, you hang around with lots of feminists?
    No, I read a lot of articles from a variety of sources.