Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    As I walk through this wicked world searching for light in the darkness of insanity, I ask myself is all hope lost? Is there only pain and hatred and misery? And each time I feel like this inside, theres one thing I want to know. Whats so funny bout peace love and understanding?

She is watching the detectives
    when they shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.
    They beat him up until the teardrops start,
    but he can't be wounded 'cause he's got no heart.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I have yet to feel like people are looking down on me because I'm fit and a healthy weight. This was most definitely not true when I was an obese single woman.

Same here.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I think most of the vocal "thin shaming" is mostly done by men to other men... or that you don't hear the comments as being bad. If you have always been fat and you are now thin and someone makes a comment on you being skinny you may take that as a compliment. However, a person who has always been skinny - particularly a man - who hears that comment it's most likely going to taken a negative.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Does "fat shaming" mean telling someone the truth about how they look? If a person is overweight they're overweight. I don't agree with mocking anyone for stuff like that but saying to them they're heavy is just being honest.
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't think the fat acceptance movement (if that's actually what it's called) is necessarily saying they don't have health risks per se, or that they are giving up on getting healthier. I thought it was more about shedding light on exactly what constitutes body shaming.

OK, so I am overweight, and I avoid swimming at the ocean, I avoid going to Hawaii. I hate the stares and the horrid comments behind my back. I'd love to go to the gym, but that one girl is always snickering at me. Or, the offhand comment by that one person at the birthday party who asks if you really need to be eating a slice of cake. It isn't just body shaming that got out of control, seriously. They don't need anyone around reminding them on a daily basis of how unhealthy it is, or "just trying to be helpful" in their comments on other peoples choice of foods.

How many say, as soon as I fit in that dress again I will go on a trip? I wish I could go play out on the ocean at the beach, but I look dreadful in a bathing suit? It's really about accepting that you as a human being are as entitled to enjoy your life as anyone else, even if you don't look like a magazine cover. I think it's more about promoting not to forget to enjoy the wonders of the world and life from day to day based solely on your looks.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    It's unhealthy to just continue living with all that weight. I look at "Kate" on This Is Us show and just feel worried she is a walking heart attack ready to happen. I do not believe in shaming those and I do believe it to each there own philosophy but it is a medical fact that being morbidly obese is dangerous.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Many fat people are guilty of thin shaming.

Really? I am pretty fit, and I have never had to endure abuse by someone who's fat. The myth of "thin shaming by fat people" reminds me of "reverse racism" - yes, it's possible in theory, but it's a false equivalence, because we live in a society where being thin or normal weight comes with many privileges, while being fat is associated with loads of stigmas.

My husband and siblings are all pretty thin & the comments people make are thin shaming. Although it’s done by people of all sizes. One my husband posted a picture of us on social media and he had at least “jokes” about how thin he looked before he took it down.

Although I do agree that being fat comes with stigmas way beyond what is placed on someone thin. Until they are thin enough to look like they have an ED- then I think the same types of stigmas are placed.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    The movement itself is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with "leave me alone while I find my own path to getting to a healthy weight." It is "shut up and accept as I am because I don't care what society says is a healthy weight."

Yes, that is exactly what it is. It is "accept me as I am and don't reduce me to my body". I think that is a very healthy approach.

Really? I am pretty fit, and I have never had to endure abuse by someone who's fat. The myth of "thin shaming by fat people" reminds me of "reverse racism" - yes, it's possible in theory, but it's a false equivalence, because we live in a society where being thin or normal weight comes with many privileges, while being fat is associated with loads of stigmas.

Thin shaming definitely exists - recall Calista Flockhart when she was on TV (can't remember the name of the show). She is a very thin woman and every week there was some gossip column or Access Hollywood expose on how she was actually an anorexic in denial, or bulimic or some other such nonsense crap being spouted about her.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The movement itself is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with "leave me alone while I find my own path to getting to a healthy weight." It is "shut up and accept as I am because I don't care what society says is a healthy weight."

Yes, that is exactly what it is. It is "accept me as I am and don't reduce me to my body". I think that is a very healthy approach.

Thin shaming definitely exists - recall Calista Flockhart when she was on TV (can't remember the name of the show). She is a very thin woman and every week there was some gossip column or Access Hollywood expose on how she was actually an anorexic in denial, or bulimic or some other such nonsense crap being spouted about her.

I don't think she was ashamed. She co-wrote the Ally McBeal episode featuring the scene where she was sitting on the toilet and fell into the bowl due her, um, diminutive frame. "Ally fell and she can't get up". Remember? Do you think she would have played the lead role as a hotshot career gal sexy pretty lawyer in a prime time TV show in the 1990s if she was a fat girl?

She personally wasn't ashamed of her figure, but she was frequently 'shamed' for her figure.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm taking this too literally but to say someone is "shamed" means the result would be shame. Which is rarely, if ever, the case with thin people as opposed to fat people. Ridiculed would be the word. Thin people get ridiculed occasionally for being what is perceived to be too thin. They look great in both tailored power suits and evening gowns alike though so I think they'll be okay.

I'd say you're right. But the term that has recently become popularized is "fat shaming" So that's what people are discussing.