Stop that snacking

13»

Replies

• joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You're new here so I'll actually explain instead of ignoring your comment.

Nope. I rarely go over my alotted calories. There are some days where I may feel hungrier than usual (more intense day at work-my days vary in intensity) and will have a snack. Was the snack planned? No, so it might result in going over by 50-100 calories that day. Perfectly fine for me since I look at the overall picture. Id rather go over for one day by 50-100 calories with an unplanned snack than be starving by meal time.

There you go. Wasn't so hard to give a proper explanation now was it. Your 2nd post is WAY more helpful.
  • Bluegum27
    Bluegum27 Posts: 9 Member
    What about the people who confuse thirst for hunger? Drinking water would help them.
  • AnneMelody
    AnneMelody Posts: 51 Member
    Soopatt wrote: »
    You can't win here OP. You post a tip that a whole load of people don't agree with, you will get roasted.

I think people should be less sensitive. A tip is a tip, use it or don't use it! RELAX!

I think perhaps a couple of snacks need to be dished out on the forums if people are so grumpy that they have to jump down some new members throat for posting a tip without a ton of "it might not work for you" disclaimers.

She is talking about drinking water!!! She is not suggesting anyone drink gasoline after howling at the moon.

Anyhoo.
    You can't win here OP. You post a tip that a whole load of people don't agree with, you will get roasted.

I think people should be less sensitive. A tip is a tip, use it or don't use it! RELAX!

I think perhaps a couple of snacks need to be dished out on the forums if people are so grumpy that they have to jump down some new members throat for posting a tip without a ton of "it might not work for you" disclaimers.

She is talking about drinking water!!! She is not suggesting anyone drink gasoline after howling at the moon.

Anyhoo.

Anyhoo.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I'm not sure cutting out all the snacks is a good thing. It helps boost your metabolism to have little meals 5 times a day. My breakfast and lunch average 200 calories a meal, and my dinner is USUALLY under 400 calories. (I know it's better to eat bigger at breakfast and lighter at dinner but it doesn't work with my lifestyle) Then I have evening snacks which is usually up to 400 cals as well. Sometimes I need other snacks to get me to the next meal, then I just add a workout to my day. That or I have to cut out my glass of wine that night or reduce my pretzels.

The important thing is to budget your day. If you have a standard snack you always have, budget it in. If you are going to have trouble to meet your goal, add in a 10 minute workout. (say a fast walk around the block, or ride your bike to the store to pick up what you need for dinner) Lets not take the fun out of losing weight.

I say, eat what you like, just budget for it.

Eating small meals does not boost metabolism. It's the number of calories that make a difference, not timing. If eating smaller meals helps to control your hunger, great.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/6_meals_a_day
    https://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high/
    http://www.ariwhitten.com/metabolism-myth-eating-5-6-small-meals-boosts-your-metabolism/
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2016

Anyhoo.

So we should all agree with every post and "tip", even if we know it doesn't work for/doesn't apply to us?

How is that helpful?

Water only works for me if I'm thirsty. I appreciate that the OP took the time to post what works for her, but it's not an absolute rule.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    When I am hungry I will drink some water first, to see if it is just really thirst. MOST of the time, I really am hungry. I usually have a mid morning snack, a late afternoon snack and an evening snack and I am able to fit it into my calorie goal. I plan it that way though.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,220 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    No thanks. I'll just feel sloshy AND hungry.

I was just going to type this as my reply, lol!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    mkmoen0 wrote: »
    If you feel like snacking drink a big glass of water! Makes you feel full until next meal. Great for times when you don't think you will make you calorie count.

Or plan your meals and your snacks so they fit your calorie goal.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    How about get a snack and drink a big glass of water too? I saw nobody posted this.

Is the OP gone for good? :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    How about get a snack and drink a big glass of water too? I saw nobody posted this.

How about a big glass of vodka? :)

Water doesn't fill me up either. Kinda doubt vodka would too but hey! At least you wouldn't care.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

How about a big glass of vodka? :)

Water doesn't fill me up either. Kinda doubt vodka would too but hey! At least you wouldn't care.

Make that 3 glasses of vodka and pass out for the rest of the day. Staying conscious is so overrated. :)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Water doesn't typically help my hunger pangs. I prefer to eat smaller meals so I can have 2-3 snacks per day like an apple thinly sliced dipped in vanilla Greek yogurt, string cheese & carrots, veggies dipped in low fat Italian dressing..yum I feel like a snack now!
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    One has to ask: when is a snack a mini meal
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    water%20prosecco_zpsdkx70vqk.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    If you could see my diary, a good half of my daily food intake is snacks. :)

And I've managed to lose the weight I wanted to lose by snacking frequently throughout the day ... all within my calorie limit.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Bluegum27 wrote: »
    What about the people who confuse thirst for hunger? Drinking water would help them.

I've never understood this, to me hunger and thirst feel completely different, how do people get them confused?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Bluegum27 wrote: »

I've never understood this, to me hunger and thirst feel completely different, how do people get them confused?

Dehydration can make a person feel lethargic without feeling thirsty. When a person feels lethargic, that person might get a cup of coffee to try to perk themselves up, or eat something ... often something sweet like a chocolate bar.

In a case like that, it is worth having a glass of water to see if it helps.

If it doesn't help it might be time for a banana or some crackers and cheese or something. :)