May 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Oh, but if it helps @7lenny7, I did take a set of clothes out of the dryer while they were still damp to run in. I figured they're just going to be wet with sweat anyway soon enough. So I'm not THAT prissy really. I can deal with wet.

Oh, but I did go down to pull the rest of the laundry out of the dryer and decided to wash the clothes I just wore on my run in a small load but with full amount of detergent and oxy-clean just because of how dirty and stinky reading this thread made me feel! :lol::trollface:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Ack! No re-wearing running clothes for me! Other workouts, no problem, but I sweat way too much running!

3 miles this morning. Just over 1 mile warmup run, during which I was trying to decide if I was gonna do a few speed intervals in mile 2 or do a few hill repeats. My legs were tired from the strength training yesterday. Decided on speed. So mile 2 included 4 fast intervals, each .15 mile. My speed wasn't very speedy :D Fastest was 7:36, slowest 8:00. Cool down run after that until I hit 3 miles, then short walk home.

It was 55 with 87% humidity and I was dying. Came back soaked in sweat. My glasses were fogging up. The sun was really bright too. Made me wish I was running in the rain again. Speaking of which, our extended forecast predicts 12 straight days of rain starting Monday. Doubt it'll rain nonstop but probably little sun. So I'll be back outside today to get more sun while it lasts. Maybe a bike ride.

@MNLittleFinn Are you a time traveler? I just noticed your log jumps back and forth between May and April :p
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been so absent lately but work and work travel has been consuming me. For the first time ever I went 5 days without running when I was not injured. My schedule just couldn't fit it in. I also didn't see my trainer for 2 weeks and of course I worked out on my own in the hotel rooms, right???? Fail!

I had yesterday off for vacation, had a nice long run planned and ended up working the entire day :( We are driving up to SF on Sunday (we were supposed to leave yesterday) to see friends and go wine tasting. I am SO looking forward to it, even though I have to take my laptop with me.

Also we found out on Thursday that my husband is getting laid off from IBM. They just had a huge round about a month ago - 60,000 let go! Apparently they still didn't meet their numbers so this is round 2. We haven't heard the totals yet on this one. He has a job until August (assuming they can find someone in India to do what he does) and will be paid through September and then he will likely just retire. About a 1.5 years earlier than we had planned. He is hoping he can do some consulting though. I am sure this will be a big topic during our drive tomorrow!

I haven't had a chance to get caught up on the thread (300+ posts) but I will get to the most recent ones at least, this afternoon. Right now I am heading out on a long awaited, much needed run!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    5/1 - 2.66 mi walk
    5/2 - 30 min indoor cardio, 12 min lower body pilates
    5/3 - 3.1 mi run
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 30 min indoor cardio, 15 min lower body pilates
    5/6 - .5 mi walk/4 mi run/1 mi walk
    5/7 - 3 mi run, 40 min strength&pilates, 2.3 mi walk
    5/8 - 3 mi run
    5/9 - 1 hr 40 min of indoor cardio mixed with light strength training, not all at once
    5/10 - 25 min indoor cardio A.M. then 3 mile run P.M.
    5/11 - 15 min light cardio, 15 min lower body pilates
    5/12 - active rest with 40 min light walking throughout the day
    5/13 - 3 mi run, 20 min pilates/lower body exercises
    5/14 - 3.5 mi walk that should've been a 5 mi run :-/
    5/15 - rest day
    5/16 - 1 hr 25 min indoor moderate cardio mixed with light strength training
    5/17 - 30 min indoor cardio A.M. - 3 mile run P.M.
    5/18 - 40 min light walking, 3 mile late evening run
    5/19 - 1 hr light walking
    5/20 - 4.25 mi run, .5 mi cool down walk, 40 min total body strength and pilates
    5/21 - 3 mi run with 4 fast intervals in mile 2........more later :)

Run goal: 32.44 of 45 miles - 10 days left to run 12.56 miles

@kristinegift Awesome run!

@shanaber Hi :) Sorry things have been so hectic for you and about your husband's job :( Been through that except mine couldn't retire at 36. Haha. Found a new job before getting officially laid off. That was 2 years ago. Unfortunately he's now employed by a much larger corporation that lays people off all the time :o
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Morning, all! Thanks for the welcome. I have to say, I'm already really glad I joined this group. If I hadn't declared last night that I was going to run 10 miles today, I would have quit much earlier! So, that's 50 miles done in May, 10 more to goal. Thanks for the judgement-free accountability. ;-)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    When I'm done with a run I hang everything but socks from the shower rod. When it's dry I toss them in a pile until I have enough to wash. That keeps the stink nearly non existent. I sweat like a horse but it must not be a stinky sweat because my wife with her sensitive nose never complains.

My son's team won their first game 3-1! Next game isn't until 5pm so another dad and I are going out for a run. He hated running until I got him out trail running!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    My sweat stains made a happy face, which did not make me happy. And my eyebrows are funny-looking. #treadmillmusings

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    @7lenny7 @whatmerunning I once wore the same pair of running socks for a week because all my other socks vanished and I kept forgetting to wash my pair of socks or buy new ones. The smell was divine.

I do try to wash my running gear every few days. I wear them in rotation so I usually always have new shirts and shorts. Also yes with time they will get bad smell even if you wash them. I think they need a good cleaning then. My gym shirt that I wore for 6 months only at the gym now smells after I wash it. It's a weird smell, not bad but when I sweat in it the smell is more horrible than normal. Not sure what to do with it, I usually just buy new ones.

7.2 km in total today, with a 6 km (stopped at 5, checked my knee that was still protesting, stretched and did another one with no pain, hurray), then 1.2 of strides. I really need to stop going too hard on strides. Also with these strides I'm over my mileage calendar. Tomorrow I have a 8k planned but if I do it I'd go over mileage with around 3-4 km. I'll let the knee decide during the run how much can I go.

Oh and it seems I found a local running group. A guy approached me while running and said I should come Saturday morning cause they are doing 5k. They are new but I can't wait to join them. Small city and too few runners.

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - rest
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts
    May 15 - 5.7 km
    May 16 - rest
    May 17 - 5+1.4 km
    May 18 - 6 km
    May 19 - 5.8 km
    May 20 - rest
    May 21 - 7.2 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy
    5/5 – 6.34 easy
    5/6 – planned rest day
    5/7 – 11.02 with pace group
    5/8 – extra rest day
    5/9 – scheduled rest day
    5/10 – extra rest day
    5/11 – no running
    5/12 – no running
    5/13 – PT appointment, no running
    5/14 – no running
    5/15 – no running, DNS for 10K
    5/16 – no running
    5/17 – PT appointment, 2.03 warm up
    5/18 – rest day
    5/19 – PT appointment, 2.55 on track
    5/20 – rest day
    5/21 – 3.07 easy

May total to date – 31.63

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon Recover from injury, return to running.

Today's notes – Today was the last paced run of the training session. In theory, I should have been pacing 6 or 10 miles at 8:00 or 8:30. 10 was out of the question. I knew 6 was dubious before I got there, but felt good enough to show up and see what I could do.

The last run was not well attended. No one showed up needing an 8:00 pacer. For 8:30, Jim (the other pacer) showed up, and my running buddy Young Jeff, and me. Had a nice chat with them over about a mile and a half before I bailed and went back the short way, for a tad over 3 miles . . . on what should be a long run day, sigh. What's even sadder is the fact that it *WAS* my longest run of the week, sigh.

On the plus side, I heard that Young Jeff was stupid at Flower City, too; just not as stupid as I was. He ran it 6 days after Boston, kept things easy to start, then tried to catch Jim (pacing 1:40 for Flower City) and didn't. Now his back and his knee are bothering him. I told him I thought he should have a PT check things out, in case what's wrong isn't what hurts. He said he's still in denial mode, like he was with his hip last year. "I spent all of last year in denial about my hip, and I paid for it later."

Got my 3 miles done, stretched, and felt better after 3 miles of mostly road running today than I did after 2 miles of mostly road running on Tuesday. That's progress. I'll take it, even though the progress is not as rapid as I'd like. Now I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. I'm thinking I might actually be able to run two days in a row now, though it is likely that I'll still have to stick with pretty short distances.

Random observation: When it's known that you've completed the Boston Marathon, *nobody* gives you a hard time about bailing out of a run at 3 miles. Or maybe it was only me giving myself a hard time, earlier. Right now I'm in hypochondria mode, so I'm not giving myself a hard time for doing less of anything.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Small ego boost of the day...when I went to the running store to (hopefully) buy a pare of Brooks Sherpa shorts (they were out :( ) I got asked if I was in training for the Grandma's marathon....guess I'm starting to look like a runner or something....or the guy was just being charitable....
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    I wash my running clothes immediately after my run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I think, after reading here, that I need more running clothes...socks are the onlything I have enough of to be able to change between every run.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Well shirts aren't a problem. If you do a few races you will have a lot of them anyway. Shorts are more of a problem. I need at least 3 pairs. They should start to add shorts to race kits :))
  • WhatMeRunning
    I think, after reading here, that I need more running clothes...socks are the onlything I have enough of to be able to change between every run.
    I have 6 of everything because I run 6 days/week. That way if I am lazy all week (like I just was) then I have something for each day that week. If I am extra lazy though (like I just was) then I am stuck and either have to do laundry before the run or, as I have now learned is apparent acceptable, just grab the least offensive old clothes. I see the advantage in that I can be even lazier.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3
    5/15 REST DAY
    5/16 8 miles - 103.3
    5/16 5 miles - 108.3 << Daily Double
    5/17 9 miles - 117.3
    5/17 4 miles - 121.3 << Daily Double
    5/18 6.2 miles - 127.5
    5/19 9 miles - 136.5
    5/20 6.2 miles - 142.7
    5/21 18 miles - 160.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @AdrianCr92 I have shorts/shirts like that too. They stink even after a wash. I cut the liner out of the shorts, figured it didn't breath or wick as well as I needed it too. But then never wore with them because I bought better shorts. Shirts get thrown away. Our dryer has a sanitize setting, that helps a bit. Our old washer had lime bud up, and everything stunk.

I'm glad it wasn't only me that funked up clothes so bad they wouldn't come clean.
  • WhatMeRunning
    I should mention, I do not have 6 winter sets of clothes. That *kitten* is expensive! I have two pairs and just do lots of laundry.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    Florida heat/humidity - running/biking clothes get washed right away - usually as soon as I get home. I had a sports bra that the odor would not leave because I had let it sit a couple days. I'd wash it... and it would appear to be better but as soon as I would start out, I could smell it. Finally added bleach and it sort of went away and then came back. It was like that Seinfeld car episode ... where the parking attendant stunk up his car.

Biking shorts need to be washed straight away or you can get a saddle sore - and I've had two... no thank you.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling
    5/16 - rest day
    5/17 - 4.5 miles + strength training
    5/18 - 5 miles + 20 miles cycling
    5/19 - rest day
    5/20 - 8 miles
    5/21 - 41 miles - got talked into adding 7 miles to the normal ride, even though we are going long tomorrow.

exercise.png