Soft foods post oral surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• steviem85
    steviem85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lgoldfarb wrote: »
    I had a gum graft when I was nine. I remember drinking a lot of carnation instant breakfast, through a straw, bypassing the roof of my mouth where they took the tissue from. Not sure they even make it anymore.

Wow, 9!! That's so young :( But glad you were able to get through it. Unfortunately, they no longer allow u to drink through a straw post op. But I did have an incredible surgeon who was kind enough to stitch the roof of my mouth! It is still sore, but it just looks likea cut with stitches in it, instead of a gaping hole I've seen in some pictures.

The two things they said to definitely not eat was chocolate or anything tomatoey because I would quickly discover pain at the donor site lol.

I'm about to attempt scrambled eggs! I'm finally able to go about my day without the stint/retainer thing they made for my palate
  • steviem85
    steviem85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I forgot to ask, for those of u who've had the graft, did the graft turn white by day 4? They said to expect this, but u know i have to freak out a little anyway
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    steviem85 wrote: »

I forgot to ask, for those of u who've had the graft, did the graft turn white by day 4? They said to expect this, but u know i have to freak out a little anyway

I don't remember at all. After almost 30 years mine is still a little off color from the rest of my gums. Luckily I don't go around holding my bottom lip out, so no one can see it. The right side of the roof of my mouth is smooth from where they took the tissue.