Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stealthhealth I totally agree, people respond to politeness. I shorten my rest period if someone is polite about it
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    What's with all the resting, playing on iPhone and socializing between sets? You're supposed to be working out - you don't need more than a minute between sets. C'mon people!

Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg

ATP requires time, and you can't speed up biochemistry. Ten minutes is about the most you should need if you're pushing multi-set singles.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I mean..for the most effective workout, breaks between sets is the best. Personally, I simply go on to another machine I plan to use if all of the same machines I want are taken. I'll admit - I'm one of those people who are on their phones between sets, but I am on here.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    What's with all the resting, playing on iPhone and socializing between sets? You're supposed to be working out - you don't need more than a minute between sets. C'mon people!

Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg

ATP requires time, and you can't speed up biochemistry. Ten minutes is about the most you should need if you're pushing multi-set singles.

How about the jack *kitten* that is doing multiple sets of 15-20 rep bicep curls in the squat rack?
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I responded to all the many gym annoyances by building a home gym. Bonus: There's no excuses not to work out anymore.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »

How about the jack *kitten* that is doing multiple sets of 15-20 rep bicep curls in the squat rack?

That's just someone being stupid.
  • melissakathrynablett
    Options
    Ugh the person the curls AT the free weights rack...dude...move!

The other day I went to use the free weights and a group of friends had removed ALL the benches to have their own personal little studio area. No. Just...no.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Now to actually address the question, I always just ask how many sets the person has left so I can decide whether to wait or go on to something else. I prefer not to work in with other people. I'll do it, but usually I've got something else I can do.

This. I will move on or wait. Quietly, patiently, with out complaint.

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Seems I'm the same as most, ask to work in, let folk know how long you'll be and shift yer sweat.
    I'll be on my phone after my last set to log it, using the 5x5 SL app.
    And, I hate plates all over the shop. Use them as extra work out. I go for a merry jaunt around the gym carrying the plates back to their home, farmers walk style.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

You're joking right?

• Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Most times I will just modify my work out, if I'm doing legs and the squat rack is occupied, I'll move to leg extensions, then come back. If I was waiting for the cable Lat pull down station, I might just use the stack weight pull down machine instead.
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Leesa_Michelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always wipe down the machines. Always. Ew.

But I do wait a couple minutes between each set. My body just gets better results that way rather than waiting 30 seconds and doing it again. No one's ever asked me if they could use it in between. If they would, I'd let them. If I'm on my phone, I'm usually looking for my next song to play. And yes, I have playlists, but I am not always in the mood for certain songs. :)
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't like overly arrogant people. I once overheard someone say "Your workout is just my warm up!" to someone, a stranger/acquaintance to them, and that just pissed me off. We were all beginners once (I believe I still am!), and we each have our own routine. Why belittle someone for what they do in the gym? If it's a form of encouragement... Then nope. I would rather applaud someone for achieving goals, not treat someone that way, especially if we aren't close.

Oh, and wiping the equipment.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I don't like overly arrogant people. I once overheard someone say "Your workout is just my warm up!" to someone, a stranger/acquaintance to them, and that just pissed me off. We were all beginners once (I believe I still am!), and we each have our own routine. Why belittle someone for what they do in the gym? If it's a form of encouragement... Then nope. I would rather applaud someone for achieving goals, not treat someone that way, especially if we aren't close.

Oh, and wiping the equipment.

^^Agree completely.

Something that I've learnt from my time in gyms is that you cannot judge a person on the basis of what you see during one (or even a few workouts). I'm a case in point - currently nursing an injury and so working on very light weights (I was snatching an empty bar of most of last week's workouts). Other times I may be concentrating on technique or mobility. To a casual observer I'm the guy that only lifts empty bars. but in reality my current work outs are part of a larger plan.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I'd say I was a relative newbie to the gym myself. Spent a shed load of time researching lifting properly and such. I stopped lifting after surgery until the physio told me I could go back to the gym. Now I'm back I started from square one on every lift. I just need to get into a routine of going every couple of days.
  • kblkmw
    kblkmw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is common courtesy to wipe down the machines. I don't want to sit in someone's sweat whether I am at risk for a staph infection or not.

It's a rule, for heaven's sake and takes about two minutes to follow.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kblkmw wrote: »
    It is common courtesy to wipe down the machines. I don't want to sit in someone's sweat whether I am at risk for a staph infection or not.

Ten seconds really.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Don't be the *kitten* that stands a foot away from the dumbbell rack doing lateral raises.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

It is important to me to sit on clean machines. So I clean the machines before I use them. I am a rule follower, so I also clean them after.

The rule makes more sense if people clean the machines before using, so that people for whom cleanliness and sanitation are important know that they are using clean machines and the people who don't want to clean can sit in someone else's sweat.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

It is important to me to sit on clean machines. So I clean the machines before I use them. I am a rule follower, so I also clean them after.

The rule makes more sense if people clean the machines before using, so that people for whom cleanliness and sanitation are important know that they are using clean machines and the people who don't want to clean can sit in someone else's sweat.

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

I'd love it if someone did a swab test on gym benches. My guess is that they're cleaner than the average kitchen counter.