Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detoxing

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Then why do so many of those bodybuilders pop gummy bears on their way home from the gym?

Are you a bodybuilder? Because this is the type of thing that can make a difference if you've reached the pinnacle of human muscular potential, but is pointless for everyone else.

Seriously, it's kind of amazing how many guys with 20% body fat who have never and will never reach the point of physique competitions think they need to do what bodybuilders do, including meal timing, supplementing, carb loading, and freakin' "gummy bears on their way home from the gym."

Until you're at <10% body fat, none of that matters.

Lift, eat, sleep, and -- ferrchrissakes -- don't cleanse.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited May 2016
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    fluffygio wrote: »
    Okay so you kno the black lines in your iris the ones that point toward your pupil well their cosd by toxins so they go away when you detox thats the main reson i atarted my detox im on day 4 and their already half gone thats just proof to me that detox's do work if you feel like it might help you be healthyer i say go for it as long as its safe

Alright, I'm just going to send you here: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/iridology.html

After that, I'd like you to visit an optometrist and ask them to explain to you why this is absolute nonsense from a very anatomical and medical perspective.

What you are "seeing" in your eyes is called "confirmation bias".

Omg so much to read i think you guys won lol but if the black lines disapeard and it was magic and not the detox im happy anyway :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited May 2016
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Then why do so many of those bodybuilders pop gummy bears on their way home from the gym?

Are you a bodybuilder? Because this is the type of thing that can make a difference if you've reached the pinnacle of human muscular potential, but is pointless for everyone else.

Seriously, it's kind of amazing how many guys with 20% body fat who have never and will never reach the point of physique competitions think they need to do what bodybuilders do, including meal timing, supplementing, carb loading, and freakin' "gummy bears on their way home from the gym."

Restoring glycogen levels through intake of dextrose is only for those with single digit body fat?
    What about power lifters and strongmen who may not have great physiques but absolutely destroy a hardcore workout and prefer to restore glycogen quickly rather than wait 24 hours?
    What about people who lift for size and strength gains but don't care much about abs?
    Gummy bears only work for bodybuilders with abs?

And do you know me? Why would you assume that I'm a subpar athlete not worthy of the magic gummy bears?

ETA: I know you've never seen my abs because I don't pose shirtless.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hey op my friend is doing a detox shortly she is buying the program from a good friend who she really trusts. This friendsalesperson looks really great. I will find out what the program is called for you. The great thing is its only 195 pounds a week. Shake for breakfast shake for lunch, and you eat your dinner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Okay so you kno the black lines in your iris the ones that point toward your pupil well their cosd by toxins so they go away when you detox thats the main reson i atarted my detox im on day 4 and their already half gone thats just proof to me that detox's do work if you feel like it might help you be healthyer i say go for it as long as its safe

What are you talking about?

There is a branch of alternative medicine called iridology. It claims that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Many iridologists claim you can tell if you need a detox, and if the detox worked, by examining your iris. I kitten you not.

You can also google "iridology" and "quack" or "scam" to read about proof it's nonsense, if you really need to.

Hmm. Things you learn on MFP. ;-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Restoring glycogen levels through intake of dextrose is only for those with single digit body fat?
    What about power lifters and strongmen who may not have great physiques but absolutely destroy a hardcore workout and prefer to restore glycogen quickly rather than wait 24 hours?
    What about people who lift for size and strength gains but don't care much about abs?
    Gummy bears only work for bodybuilders with abs?

And do you know me? Why would you assume that I'm a subpar athlete not worthy of the magic gummy bears?

ETA: I know you've never seen my abs because I don't pose shirtless.

I would agree with carlos. It has nothing to do with bodyfat but rather how advanced you are. If you had addressed, calories, macros, and micros and looking to take it one step up, then meal timing and supplementation can make slight differences.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Regardless of whether you buy into the Sugar is the Devil theory, you don't need to "detox" from sugar. It's not building up in the nooks and crannies of your digestive system. If you think sugar is bad for you, you can just stop eating it.

http://www.mynormalweight.com/blog/2013/03/25/how-sugar-metabolized/

You keep calling it just "sugar", and I'm making the distinction of "refined/added sugar". That's probably the source of your confusion, and why you aren't paying attention.

You don't seem to know what "refined sugar" is.
  • stevencloser
    nikkylyn wrote: »
    The best way is to eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables lean proteins. ETC. All that processed food is bad for you but when you start to eat better you will feel so much b etter and many people will tell you their bodies sort of flushed themselves out. LOL. TMI but true.

This is one of those things I simply don't understand. I eat processed foods, refined sugar, fat, carbs, etc. and I feel fantastic. Am I supposed to feel terrible because I eat these things? If I "detox" these items from my system will it suddenly be like

5k23hv.jpg

Have you heard of the Nocebo effect? I strongly believe this is what we can see in action in these sorts of threads.
  • stevencloser
    edited May 2016
    hmm my question is aside from removing the fiber from the sugar beets(that grow in the ground like any other beets) and the same for sugar cane,how is it any different than eating fruits or veggies and your body breaking down the sugar in them? your body just doesnt have the fiber to digest the sugar slower. sugar beets can also be used for feed for cows and other livestock.so I guess you better stop eating meat if you do, because the animal that has eaten this has processed it into sugar and therefore you have your refined/processed sugar in your meat,I guess you also dont eat molasses,or maple syrup or honey either?

It isn't different, that's the funny thing.
    Here's the whole process of how "refined sugar" is made out of beet or cane:

Beet:
    • Slice the beet
    • Seep it in hot water
    • reduce the water by boiling
    • let it dry
    • Put it in a centrifuge to get the molasses off
    • wash off the remaining brown color with water

Cane:
    • Shred the sugar cane
    • Press it
    • proceed with the same drying steps as for beets

That's literally all. One is dried sugar beet tea, the other is dried sugar cane juice.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Fine. You do not need to "detox" added sugar, processed sugar, simple sugar, complex sugar, natural sugar, or any other variation of sugar. If you believe added/processed sugar is bad for you, you can just stop eating it.

Being condescending isn't necessary.

Now that we're on the same page, consider the facts about added sugars. Unless you're sustaining a high per-day intake, like 100+grams a day, it probably won't cause any serious health problems. But it IS an unnecessary source of calories. Whether it's harmful or not, it does not contain calories that are as efficient as other natural foods. If you eat refined sugars instead of a carb more fibrous, like fruit, you are causing an imbalance in your nutrient intake. The imbalance may be minor, or major, it all depends on what else you ate. People keep coming back to the straw man argument that "it's not gonna kill you", because it's an easy position to defend. I'm trying to point out the perspective that it's unnecessary, therefore not the norm. People who defend their position are clinging to eating snickers bars & cake & ice cream as if it is a normal food. It's not normal, refined/added sugars aren't normal as far as your body and the evolution of digestive science is concerned. If your viewpoint is that M&M's and a Coke is a normal snack, then you are more likely to consume it. If you view it as abnormal, you're more likely not to consume it unless you're making the conscious decision that you can afford the junk calories. In the end, it's all about being present and aware in the decision making process of eating. A simple delineation of Normal/Abnormal makes it easier to avoid junk food on a routine day. Many people really are nutrition illiterate you know.

Oh--I know.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Well im not going to recomend her doing the master cleanse like im doing thats against mfp guide lines but those foods are sure a good way to start detoxing very very slowly but surely

Thers more diets you can llok up for detoxing and not all are hard

No, they aren't. I'm not saying don't eat those foods (they're tasty and provide nutrients), but they aren't a way to detox.
    Ok what do you sugest than smarty pants?

Detoxing is BS...
  • J72FIT
    Refined/processed/added sugars are the number one enemy of the body's processes.

Incorrect, overconsumption is...
  • J72FIT
    You are in fantasy land...
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    hmm my question is aside from removing the fiber from the sugar beets(that grow in the ground like any other beets) and the same for sugar cane,how is it any different than eating fruits or veggies and your body breaking down the sugar in them? your body just doesnt have the fiber to digest the sugar slower. sugar beets can also be used for feed for cows and other livestock.so I guess you better stop eating meat if you do, because the animal that has eaten this has processed it into sugar and therefore you have your refined/processed sugar in your meat,I guess you also dont eat molasses,or maple syrup or honey either?

It isn't different, that's the funny thing.
    Here's the whole process of how "refined sugar" is made out of beet or cane:

Beet:
    • Slice the beet
    • Seep it in hot water
    • reduce the water by boiling
    • let it dry
    • Put it in a centrifuge to get the molasses off
    • wash off the remaining brown color with water

Cane:
    • Shred the sugar cane
    • Press it
    • proceed with the same drying steps as for beets

That's literally all. One is dried sugar beet tea, the other is dried sugar cane juice.

I know its not,I was being facetious.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Jumping in the 'detoxes are BS train.
    The two RDs whose work I follow most closely don't recommend eliminating sugar from the diet and they don't claim that we need to "detoxify" ourselves after eating it.

Again you're missing my distinction between added/refined sugars and natural sugars. I get sugar from fruit and dairy (fructose and lactose). I cut out refined sugars, and I feel "detoxified" because of it.

I get your distinction, it's just meaningless.

Honestly not sure what your "feelings" have to do with the OP's question.
    Because he likes to argue about what other people eat. O_o

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I have my owners manual and it says my model year needs no added cleansing, detox, or any silly purge.

Maybe they made some different models that need flushing. Consulting your manual would be wise.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I'd say every moment of the day, if I remember correctly. Last I checked, my liver and kidneys were still in working order. Dunno, though.