I Thought Everything Was Okay? What Would You Do From Here?

13»

Replies

• volcanogoddessan
    volcanogoddessan Posts: 11 Member
    I understand where you are coming from, to some extent I think it's family's misdirected concern but in a lot of ways I think people just need to have something to talk about. I was overweight most of my adolescence, most of my family is overweight as well and would warn me not to "end up like them", when I hit high school I lost a lot of weight and all I got were concerns that I was too thin and needed to eat more(although I was dancing 5 days a week and fitter than I'd ever been before or since). The point is that some people just talk and are NEVER happy unless they are complaining about something, and you can't let it bring you down. As far as treating you like a weakling I've experienced the same thing, at 4' 11" my family is always telling me to have someone else lift something or that I can't lift it myself or whatever it may be. I always just tell them (my personal example, I work at a petstore) "I lift 50 lb bags of dog food and 75 gallon tanks all day long I'm pretty sure I can lift *insert particular object here*" this usually gets them to back off, you could use your weight lifting as an example or something like that. I've found the more direct I am about telling them to back off(while still being polite) the more people leave me alone.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    If you're happy and healthy , then all is well.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think your parents are ASSUMING people are saying this about them, but not really. Nobody in their right mind would automatically assume you were being starved by your parents, especially since you have been away at college and are, for all intents and purposes, an independent adult.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    This is a tough one. All I can tell you is to love your family and friends but you have to do what's best for you.

From what I read in some of your posts it seems that your family has has a history of being overweight. Also In some cultures being overweight is acceptable and considered normal. I'm not sure how your grandparents or aunts and uncles are but if this is normal to be overweight in your family they just might accept it as normal.

When you talked about someone coming over and discussing your condition it almost sounded like the family was doing an intervention like they do for drug addicts or alcoholics.

I know some people mentioned seeing a doctor and getting the report but to me that would be a waste of time to even show it to him because it seems like it wouldn't fit into their belief mode and you could waive all the facts you want in front of them and they would still be in denial about it.

Like I initially stated all you can do is love them and live your life. It's your life and you made a decision to improve it and they can't accept that. Congrats on your success keep it up enjoy the journey