walking

124»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Walking is the only exercise I do. If you walk enough you can earn quite a few extra calories.
    I aim for at least 20,000 steps a day
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Walking is excellent. Moving more all day long is excellent. Doing things other than sitting is excellent, and it all adds up. A walk at a brisk pace (walking as though you are focused on a destination or 3 mph) is moderate activity. I've done other things as well, but walking briskly 2+ miles at a time, in addition to moving more and stepping more during the day, has been my main exercise.

The idea that you need a gym or a super-structured routine that makes you puke is contrary to evidence. If you're going for health and a higher activity level, then you don't have to do anything crazy. You just have to consistently do something and push yourself.
  • kathygk56
    kathygk56 Posts: 28 Member
    I've lost 80+ pounds in the past year by eating at a deficit and walking 30 to 60+ minutes per day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited May 2016
    So, I am a lifter (I hate intense cardio)-- I am also short (5'3) -- walking is how I am able to eat all the foods and still lose weight. I aim to get 15-20k steps a day - most low, some moderate. I lose a pound a week eating 1,800 calories a day. I maintain at about 2,300.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    To answer you question, walking is great. Go ahead and do it if you enjoy it!

As far as clean eating, giving up chips, fried foods, etc.....it's not necessary to lose weight. If you feel you can give up those things forever, go for it. I know I can't, so I incorporate them into my life and am losing weight.

You didn't lose 28 lbs from eating clean. You lost 28 lbs (great job, btw) by eating at a caloric deficit. If you had created that deficit while eating chips and fried food, you still would've lost 28 lbs.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I've lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks by eating 1200 calories and walking a couple of hours every day.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    I started at 182 lbs. in oct 2015. My husband and I reduced our calorie intake and started walking. I'm down to 139 and my husband lost 20 pounds. We were able to get in good enough shape we bought bikes in March and now we go on 10 mile rides. Most the weight was lost before we got the bikes. I still go for a walk every once in awhile just for something different. Walking is great.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I walk. I have lost weight. Walking has been my only exercise. I started walking 7 months ago, I have lost 33 pounds. I am less than 10 pounds from my goal weight. I walk to earn extra calories to eat. I started walking slowly at the beginning, often walking every day. I now only walk 3x week, an hour at a brisk pace often walking a little over 3 miles. Walking is not a waste of time.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    How's the walking going?
  • jodietownsend03
    jodietownsend03 Posts: 24 Member
    I started jan 4th. And have lost 3stone 1lbs. (33lbs) i am counting what i eat 1450 cals and walking to work and back everyday (60 mins) WALKING IS THE BEST! Keep it up daily and youll see the changes
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I've been going on weekly hikes with my best friend lately. so much awesome
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I've got spinal and nerve damage, walking at a quick pace is my primary workout, along with elliptical. I've lost 59 pounds, no movement is a waste of time!
  • asmitty1992
    asmitty1992 Posts: 71 Member
    I have walked all week & i have lost 5 pounds. I have been at a steady 3 per week. Thanks!
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    I lost 22 pounds via walking as my only exercise, and just sticking to 1700 calories a day - not necessarily "clean eating." Walking is just as good as running. It doesn't burn calories as quickly, but it does burn calories. An hour walk for me burns ~400 calories. When I mix in some jogging intervals I can burn closer to ~500 calories in an hour.
  • asmitty1992
    I have also felt my energy level get better. :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I lost from 197 to 155 walking and eating less. I started weight lifting and weigh 164 now, but my clothes are looser and I can take the tailgate off my truck and put it back without help. (that's important for a farm girl - practical strength)
    Walking is still a big part of my daily routine - it's a stress reliever if nothing else.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I walk a lot and don't eat clean and have lost, so if you believe clean eating is the way you should lose too. The key is just caloric deficit.
  • asmitty1992
    I defiantly agree