Thinking about taking my food scale to Golden Corral tonight

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Thanks for the update
    P's never heard of the restaurant before but if you are ok with it don't mind the others.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    >:) Golden Corral is one of the easiest places to eat healthy food - where else can you get a salad bar and 8-10 different kinds of cooked vegetables?
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Thanks for the update. TBH it never crosses my mind to take my food scale, but you know- Id post full on support! Scales deserve to go out too! I think all buffets are shame wastelands, but you know what- who cares :P I love all you can eat troughs of shame. It's easy to lose track of what you're eating, how much, and in some instances exactly what a portion size *should* be as opposed to what they serve up. My only huge issue with buffets - the sodium. Every time I go I retain pounds for nearly a week before it washes out of my system finally.

I am glad you went, tickled you did the scale, and think that despite the awkward you must've initially felt you wound up having a good time and getting a good lesson in eyeballing while out on the town. Good for you :) And thanks for sharing the experience!!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Good day! If anyone's interested in the update on my taking the food scale to Golden Corral.
    I tried to update yesterday but there was some mechanical issues going on with the forum yesterday?

I did in fact use the scale in front of everyone. No one paid me any mind at first, most of us were starving and wanted to eat.

The group went from 8 to 11 people total.
    I got the pot roast, mashed potatoes and broccoli. I didn't try and cheat myself because I was really hungry. didnt exactly know what size pot roast should be? I just took one of the pieces they had sliced. The mashed potatoes and broccoli were easy to portion I assumed .

We didn't have booth seating since it was so many we sat in the center of the restaurant.
    I had an extra plate so I took out the scale and starting weighing my food. I wrote down the amounts for each and would look up the info later.

The guys started asking me was I weighing my food? I said yes, for an experiment. Well they wanted to see who could eat the most and how much it weighed! They were doing man vs food.

They started piling up the plates I would weigh them and they would eat! Well the winner was my friends 15 year old son, Almost 6 ft and barely 140lbs.

I finally looked up my food totals later on.
    I had two and a half portions of the pot roast, two servings of mashed potatoes, and under a serving of broccoli. For dessert I ate a brownie and a fruit bowl.

I was over on every portion except the broccoli. My calories were over by nearly 1,200. What was the point of it? People asks why couldn't I just try this at home?

At home I don't have a bunch of HANGRY strangers behind me waiting for me to move my *kitten*.
    At home I cook the same foods and know what the portions look like. I rarely buy beef at home let alone know what a portion of pot roast is.

I specifically put myself in the opposite situation of what goes on at home. I had endless amounts of food and desserts at my disposal so the temptation was there as well. I could have easily outdone my deficit for the week, but I didn't.

If it weren't for tracking calories and mfp, I would have been playing man vs food with my friends.

People don't like Golden Corral and that's OK, but please don't act like you've never eaten something debatable before.

Don't go all self righteous on us when most didn't get fat from cucumbers and celery salads.

Congrats on your achievement. I agree with the whole self righteous thing. We all eat different. I eat high end, I eat low end. I actually do like Golden Corral...and can make it work, just like I have been able to make Cici's pizza work :). I just haven't gotten around to it as yet, but thanks again for the reminder. I won't need the scale though since I have grown accustom to grilling my own meats and can gauge them. As someone else mentioned, there are plenty of healthy things to find in there. We just naturally gravitate to the other items which I have learned not to do :). I have also learned when I am truly full. The last time I went, I really only had 1 1/2 plates, much less than usual. Had to remind myself, the goal wasn't to get the most food for what I paid for, but to get the most variety for what I paid for. However, I do have to give it a try again...go back just when breakfast ends and lunch begins and make a good meal day of it :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Haha excellent! I'm happy you did what you wanted. Sounds like it turned out pretty cool. Even got the table involved.

I also agree with everything you said in your update post! Go you!!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    RobinvdM wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. TBH it never crosses my mind to take my food scale, but you know- Id post full on support! Scales deserve to go out too! I think all buffets are shame wastelands, but you know what- who cares :P I love all you can eat troughs of shame. It's easy to lose track of what you're eating, how much, and in some instances exactly what a portion size *should* be as opposed to what they serve up. My only huge issue with buffets - the sodium. Every time I go I retain pounds for nearly a week before it washes out of my system finally.

I am glad you went, tickled you did the scale, and think that despite the awkward you must've initially felt you wound up having a good time and getting a good lesson in eyeballing while out on the town. Good for you :) And thanks for sharing the experience!!!

I agree regarding the sodium. Thats why I like to make sure its an exercise day where I will need to replace my lost sodium through sweat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Good day! If anyone's interested in the update on my taking the food scale to Golden Corral.
    I tried to update yesterday but there was some mechanical issues going on with the forum yesterday?

I did in fact use the scale in front of everyone. No one paid me any mind at first, most of us were starving and wanted to eat.

I got the pot roast, mashed potatoes and broccoli. I didn't try and cheat myself because I was really hungry. didnt exactly know what size pot roast should be? I just took one of the pieces they had sliced. The mashed potatoes and broccoli were easy to portion I assumed .

We didn't have booth seating since it was so many we sat in the center of the restaurant.
    I had an extra plate so I took out the scale and starting weighing my food. I wrote down the amounts for each and would look up the info later.

The guys started asking me was I weighing my food? I said yes, for an experiment. Well they wanted to see who could eat the most and how much it weighed! They were doing man vs food.

They started piling up the plates I would weigh them and they would eat! Well the winner was my friends 15 year old son, Almost 6 ft and barely 140lbs.

I had two and a half portions of the pot roast, two servings of mashed potatoes, and under a serving of broccoli. For dessert I ate a brownie and a fruit bowl.

I was over on every portion except the broccoli. My calories were over by nearly 1,200. What was the point of it? People asks why couldn't I just try this at home?

At home I don't have a bunch of HANGRY strangers behind me waiting for me to move my *kitten*.
    At home I cook the same foods and know what the portions look like. I rarely buy beef at home let alone know what a portion of pot roast is.

I specifically put myself in the opposite situation of what goes on at home. I had endless amounts of food and desserts at my disposal so the temptation was there as well. I could have easily outdone my deficit for the week, but I didn't.

If it weren't for tracking calories and mfp, I would have been playing man vs food with my friends.

People don't like Golden Corral and that's OK, but please don't act like you've never eaten something debatable before.

Don't go all self righteous on us when most didn't get fat from cucumbers and celery salads.

Haha I love how everyone wanted to weigh their food. So awesome.

And yeah, I'm sure people eat way more than they think at buffets (and restaurants overall, really).
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    I wish I could give you both a like and an awesome for your update! :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Take one for the science team
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Awesome! I take my scale with me to Panda Express because I think the portions there vary pretty wildly each time I go and it makes it easier to log the eaten portion vs left over.
  • Lawduck195
    Lawduck195 Posts: 1 Member
    I haven't yet, but I've thought about it. :) Do what you want.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2016
    @glassyo @CooCooPuff
    I just got back from my local frozen yogurt shop. I live in a very small town, and yes I did bring my scale. I'm so glad I did. I love to add Butterfinger, Hot Fudge topping and whipped cream. My entire concoction was 465 calories. I also entered it under My Recipes for future reference. I know the lady who works there and she couldn't believe how many calories the toppings added. I very happily ate my delicious dessert. I walked 8 miles today and had lots of extra calories. I still have left over calories for the day, but I am done eating. :)

I also love to eat sushi and will at least 3 times a week. A couple of weeks ago I brought home one of each item I usually order so I could weigh them. I even dissected the "Tsunami Roll" and weighed each part. I realize this might seem excessive, but now I know what and how much I can eat - one pair sake nigiri (salmon), one pair ebi nigiri (shrimp) and one Tsunami Roll without the crab salad. Love the crab salad, but I forgo it for the sake of calories.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member

Just seeing this thread and it sounds like it ended being a lot of fun with your friends participating :)
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    I think it's interesting how much over in calories you were than you guessed. 1,200 calories is a massive difference. It's a good example of how people tend to underestimate on their calories and end up gaining weight or not losing and then wonder why. Pretty cool experiment.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Screw what other people think. Using a scale isn't rude. People pick their damn noses at the table, you are not doing anything wrong.

"Being ashamed?" GTFO. Ridiculous. "Smug?" You're just looking for crap to judge people for.

Do you, OP. *You* are the one who lives in your body, not anyone here.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    Well of course OP can do her.

But she did ask for opinions, so people gave them.

Anyway thanks for update OP - sounds an interesting evening.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    @glassyo @CooCooPuff
    I just got back from my local frozen yogurt shop. I live in a very small town, and yes I did bring my scale. I'm so glad I did. I love to add Butterfinger, Hot Fudge topping and whipped cream. My entire concoction was 465 calories. I also entered it under My Recipes for future reference. I know the lady who works there and she couldn't believe how many calories the toppings added. I very happily ate my delicious dessert. I walked 8 miles today and had lots of extra calories. I still have left over calories for the day, but I am done eating. :)

I also love to eat sushi and will at least 3 times a week. A couple of weeks ago I brought home one of each item I usually order so I could weigh them. I even dissected the "Tsunami Roll" and weighed each part. I realize this might seem excessive, but now I know what and how much I can eat - one pair sake nigiri (salmon), one pair ebi nigiri (shrimp) and one Tsunami Roll without the crab salad. Love the crab salad, but I forgo it for the sake of calories.

*sniffle*

I'm so proud of you!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I love Golden Corral. I think their food is good, my kids can eat what they like & we don't have to wait forever to get served. I also have a pocket-sized scale that I keep in my purse & I routinely weigh my food at restaurants & at other people's houses. If anyone thought it was rude or judged me, they kept it to themselves so I'm OK with that.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I love how the story ended. It sounds like you have some awesome friends, and I'm glad you got to enjoy your time with them.

A day over.. so what. You set yourself back by ... half a week of progress? And now you know! Congratulations on your successful experiment.