• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.

No offense but this is ridiculous. How on earth does not allowing gallon jugs equate to being family friendly?? Do they automatically become not family friendly just because someone bring a jug?

So if I have a gallon jug, I am automatically a "meat head"?

All this talk about gallon jugs is making me wonder, does anyone actually carry around an entire gallon of water? Unless you're a laborer working outside in the heat all day, that's a whole lotta water to tote around! Seems like it's just a stupid exaggeration for pf to use...

I see guys at the gym with gallon jugs of water. Don't know how much of their daily allotment this represents. My mother (who is a lot smaller than the guys at the gym) measures out a half gallon of water every day to help her drink that much. I make (weak) tea in 4 C batches so I know how much liquid I'm drinking.

I see what you're saying about you and your mom, but....I just think it a little odd that anyone needs to carry that much water to/around the gym, but....whatever!

If they use a gallon jug to measure daily water intake, it makes sense. Why would you want to change containers/pour water into a different container just to go to the gym?

I'd rather do that than carry a gallon sized container around. Call me crazy, but that's just me. And is it really difficult to pour water into a smaller bottle? Like I said though..whatever. Not gonna debate over water bottles.

Yes, convenience is a factor. The water bottle I use at the gym has measurements along the side. I can still know I'm drinking a gallon (or whatever other amount) of water by keeping track as I refill it. So it is more convenient than carrying a gallon of water, it fits in the cup holder at the gym (both a convenience and safety issue), and I can still measure how much water I'm consuming (which so far has been the only plausible argument in favor of using a gallon jug).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.

No offense but this is ridiculous. How on earth does not allowing gallon jugs equate to being family friendly?? Do they automatically become not family friendly just because someone bring a jug?

All this talk about gallon jugs is making me wonder, does anyone actually carry around an entire gallon of water? Unless you're a laborer working outside in the heat all day, that's a whole lotta water to tote around! Seems like it's just a stupid exaggeration for pf to use...

I see guys at the gym with gallon jugs of water. Don't know how much of their daily allotment this represents. My mother (who is a lot smaller than the guys at the gym) measures out a half gallon of water every day to help her drink that much. I make (weak) tea in 4 C batches so I know how much liquid I'm drinking.

I see what you're saying about you and your mom, but....I just think it a little odd that anyone needs to carry that much water to/around the gym, but....whatever!

If they use a gallon jug to measure daily water intake, it makes sense. Why would you want to change containers/pour water into a different container just to go to the gym?

I'd rather do that than carry a gallon sized container around. Call me crazy, but that's just me. And is it really difficult to pour water into a smaller bottle? Like I said though..whatever. Not gonna debate over water bottles.

Yes, convenience is a factor. The water bottle I use at the gym has measurements along the side. I can still know I'm drinking a gallon (or whatever other amount) of water by keeping track as I refill it. So it is more convenient than carrying a gallon of water, it fits in the cup holder at the gym (both a convenience and safety issue), and I can still measure how much water I'm consuming (which so far has been the only plausible argument in favor of using a gallon jug).

For you....can we drop the safety issue thing....really?

How close do walk to machines that are in use by other people that this would actually be an issue?

I put my towel at the end of my machine right next to the leg(s). Are towels now a safety issue and should be outlawed?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    RGv2 wrote: »

How close do walk to machines that are in use by other people that this would actually be an issue?

I put my towel at the end of my machine right next to the leg(s). Are towels now a safety issue and should be outlawed?

Where I work out, it is pretty crowded. This is why I don't put a towel or water bottle on the floor unless it is against the wall or underneath the bench. Putting a water jug on the floor more than 10 inches from the bench makes it easy to trip over.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    i cant believe there are that many pages for a quitting the gym thread...
    I agree with not needing a gallon of water to work out for an hour or two.
    I dont drink at all on a mountain bike ride that i do for an average of 1 hour 45 minutes and its cardio. Why would you need water for 1-2 hours of no cardio in a nice cool climate environment...
  • RGv2

Where I work out, it is pretty crowded. This is why I don't put a towel or water bottle on the floor unless it is against the wall or underneath the bench. Putting a water jug on the floor more than 10 inches from the bench makes it easy to trip over.

Then like I said, don't put it out that far....it's not rocket math.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

If everyone could be trusted to be as courteous, then perhaps the gym would not have seen it as a safety issue and would not have banned gallon jugs. Too bad not everyone sees it the way you and I see it.
  • RGv2

If everyone could be trusted to be as courteous, then perhaps the gym would not have seen it as a safety issue and would not have banned gallon jugs. Too bad not everyone sees it the way you and I see it.

Either way it still comes down the point of this whole argument.

Question: Why does PF not allow them?

My Answer: Because PF needs to perpetuate their negative stereotype for members.

Two or three other people: Nauh, it's safety.

Me: Actually even their website says the poor gallon jug is "intimidating".

Fun ensues.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Since when were tank tops forbidden?!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    I doubt it's a safety issue. Other gyms don't seem to need this silly policy. There's a FB thread on it where someone from PF weighed in and said it was to prevent intimidation. This is also their reason for not permitting deadlifts, apparently (sigh), and intimidating clothing (whatever that is--yes, I do have some idea, the question is rhetorical) is also forbidden.

Their own FAQ explains the gallon jug thing as:

"In order to maintain our No Gymtimidation environment, gallon jugs are not allowed on the club floor."

The idea that their customers are so easily intimidated is precisely why I would never join one. Ugh, how demeaning.

For full disclosure, there's not one convenient to me anyway, though, so it's not like it's an issue.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just ask at the desk. You prob won't be forced to talk to the manager. There's nothing "wrong" or nosey with them asking "why"? They probably have a form they have to fill out and check off the reason. That doesn't obligate you to answer. You can say "personal reasons" or "I'd rather not say." They won't take you into the back room and torture you.

Rules about footwear and large heavy water jugs are established for safety reasons. They don't want someone stubbing their toe, or bumping into someone's 16 lb water jug (weight of a gallon), and suing them. I imagine that many gyms have similar type rules. I go to a small privately owned fitness studio. If someone came in wearing sandals, I'm sure they would be asked to put on proper footwear. In another thread, someone posted about falling off the treadmill when they had a momentary distraction and weren't wearing the safety clip. Accidents are real and most businesses do what they can to help avoid them.

A gallon of liquid weighs 8 lbs. 16 fl oz weighs 16 oz. A pint's a pound a world around.

Fun fact.

I know that, my 5 sec. mental math was off. My point stands that many off the rules mentioned are done for safety & liability reasons. Tis a fact of life.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    PF is no contract right? You can just stop the membership anytime. You probably don't even deal with anyone at the gym itself but have to call the billing servicer.

It CAN be no contract but it depends on the plan you sign up for when you join. For instance, the PF Black Membership is $20 a month but requires a 1-2 year contract.

Also, you do have to go to the gym where you signed up at to sign a form cancelling your membership whether you have a contract plan or not.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    The water derailment is amusing.

The only person at my gym I have seen with a gallon water jug is an older (I'd wager late 60's) very non-intimidating woman.

I'm a grunter when the weights get heavy, so I really hate that complaint from people.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Sorry you're not happy at your Planet Fitness. I'm real pleased with the one I go to. I used to to the YMCA and am so much happier at this Planet Fitness. The gym should compute (by their computer system) when everyone comes in and scans their tag. You can get a printout that shows how many people come at each hour. MY Planet Fitness posts this and allows members to pick up a pre-printed copy of this. I have bad anxiety issues and I look for ways to work things out for me, not look for just upsetting things. The more you learn about yourself, you will find ways to manage things, no matter where you are at or what comes up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WakkoW wrote: »
    The water derailment is amusing.

I don't know why the water thing bugs me so much. It just seems like such a weird and unnecessary rule. Who cares if other people carry around giant jugs of water?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member

I was unaware that they are family friendly. One of the few things that I like about PF is that they don't let kids under 13 in there.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I was unaware that they are family friendly. One of the few things that I like about PF is that they don't let kids under 13 in there.

are they actually family friendly?

now you gotta be afraid of tripping over someone's spawn????
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member

Not worth it, even if it is just $20 a month.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member

I would call the YMCA family friendly, not PF.
  • RGv2
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I doubt it's a safety issue. Other gyms don't seem to need this silly policy. There's a FB thread on it where someone from PF weighed in and said it was to prevent intimidation. This is also their reason for not permitting deadlifts, apparently (sigh), and intimidating clothing (whatever that is--yes, I do have some idea, the question is rhetorical) is also forbidden.

Their own FAQ explains the gallon jug thing as:

"In order to maintain our No Gymtimidation environment, gallon jugs are not allowed on the club floor."

The idea that their customers are so easily intimidated is precisely why I would never join one. Ugh, how demeaning.

For full disclosure, there's not one convenient to me anyway, though, so it's not like it's an issue.

Their website indicates that as well in the FAQ section.