Creating a deficit with exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• the_oakster
    the_oakster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A defecit is the way to lose and exercise helps to create one.

For me, cycling is something I love so luckily it works out that when I bike I get to eat more but you have to make sure that there is the defecit still. I use a HRM and one site I upload my rides too will say I've burned almost twice as many calories as the HRM does so you have to take things with a pinch of salt. Pick one. Stick with it and adjust your calorie allowance to make sure that you're losing and work from there.

I will say though that if you try to exercise just so that you can eat more then you may not enjoy the activity and give up. Find something you enjoy however strenuous or easy.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I asked because personally, I'd rather increase my exercise than decrease my food. But I kept hearing that 80%/20% thing...

Increase your exercise to create a deficit - you'll be fine.

If your goal is to lose weight, just make sure that you end up with a deficit for the day in the CICO equation. Everyone tends to underestimate their intake, and overestimate the calorie burn through exercise (thanks to the wild axx guesses all the gizmos we use spit out for calorie burn). So just be as accurate as possible and adjust from there by keeping a nice cushion in the deficit.

The more exercise you do, the more you get to eat. B)