Long term (and I mean LONG TERM) exercise!

13»

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2016
    I power walk almost everyday for 1 - 1.5 hours. I've been seeing a lot of the same people on and off for over 4 years now on the track.

One thing that has been consistent is that I see the same older people (70+) very often. They have slender, fit bodies, all are full of life, have amazing postures, they are upbeat and friendly and look great for their ages too. They walk at a good pace and for a good while as well. Seeing the older couples walk together really makes me smile. :smiley:

I don't know their stories or where they came from physically, but all I know is I want to be like that when I get that age.

For me though a mixture of mainly cardio (brisk walking) and strength-training (weights and bodyweight exercise), along with other activity (jump roping, aerobic dvd's, Pilates, tennis, ice skating, rollerblading etc.) has worked out well for me and it's very sustainable.

I truly enjoy everything I do, I have a lot of variety and I love how it has helped to shape my figure. I will keep going with this fitness routine for as long as I can, but I hope to be able to continue to walking/hiking for the rest of my life!

Edited to add...My mom (late 60's) is active with walking and using the fitness center in her condo and she looks so amazing! She's definitely my inspiration!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    My dad was 84 last week. He goes to the gym regularly - does gentle strength training, swims, and walks on the treadmill. He was a competitive swimmer and cyclist in his youth.

I'm in my 50s (and definitely don't consider myself 'old'). I run 10k three times a week, have a treadmill and eliptical in my basement and do plenty of hiking at weekends. In the winter I go cross-country skiing. I hope to keep this up for the next 25 years and beyond. And maybe one day I'll win the 70+ age group prize in a road race.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Just turned 60 and have been lifting for 40+ years. I'm in the free weight part of the gym, seldom toucheck machines now. Have had several orthopedic surgeries and sepis, just worked around those issues. Also run and bike in addition to weights. Biggest regret is not working more on agility or "being athletic" after high school. Trying now to get some of that back.

They'll have to pry the wrights from my cold dead hands.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    I'll be 50 in a few months ... and I feel about the same as I did in my mid-30s. Definitely not old!! My husband is 61 and he's still going strong. He works a physically active job, then walks with me after work, and cycles with me on the weekends.

At Easter, the two of us flew up to Brisbane to cycle a 300 km randonnee (in 17 hours, including all breaks).

We're not exactly slowing down and becoming old and decrepit just yet.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP please describe "OLD"..

I will be the 85 year old granny doing leg days on Tuesdays! I am not sure why so curious about this and is this part of a study you are doing?

And I cannot respond to all those questions, but sustainable exercise, is exercise that you can do.. at any age!!!!

No, not doing a study, just thought it an interesting question.

And I answered earlier, but I personally think of old as happening around 70, understand this is different for everyone though.

My kids seem to have the same sorts of cutoffs, people are "young" till 30, then just "adults" till they seem like "old", at around 70. I guess that's 30 years on each end of a 100 year range, 40 years in the middle to just be a grownup.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Three family friends would qualify.

One in his 70's, plays tennis and has since his 20's. It's more impressive because he recently had both knees replaced and still goes and plays.

Another in his 80's, has been distance running for as long as known him, and I'm sure long before that - so at least 35 yrs. I'm pretty sure he's still much, much faster than I am.

The third is the wife of the guy in his 80's. Another tennis player for life.