Workouts and depression

Options
12346»

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Yoga specifically has helped me tremendously with depression! That or doing a really heavy workout where you sweat hard! It's a great release,...such as a spinning class! Taking a walk outside in nature also helps tremendously! Hiking, walking, biking, running (although I'm not a runner) is all great outdoors!

Any exercise in between that is just boring , on a machine, or somethin like that...and it doesn't get my endorphin's going, will not help me and sometimes make me feel worse.

So if you're gonna workout, I say go slow with a yoga class (mind, body, spirit) or go hard in an intense workout such as spinning or running! Like everyone says, consistency is key and committing yourself to at least one exercise you enjoy 3-4 times a week! You might have to force yourself in the beginning, but eventually it becomes second nature and you will begin to love it and feel the positive effects!

Good luck!
  • fayecheshire
    fayecheshire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a car accident in arch..nothing serious i was parked at the time!

Could nt work out but hsve only dobe one spin class sine. My daughter is oregnant so we have swam a bit and walked a lot.

She s booked us on to a half marathon in june and just the thought of the training is lifting my mood. Subconsiously i know i woukd be happier working harder. Plus looking in the mirror wiukd be a nicer experience

Faye
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

one thing i've noticed about exercising (i enjoy it) is it's like a personal bubble or a time out. that can be great while it lasts, but sooner or later you have to break the bubble and go back to real life.

so, yeah. i wouldn't presume to talk about real depression. but even without it, sometimes it's a bit of a letdown when that time comes and all of the Stuff is still there.

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Exercise has never helped with my depression. Taking a drive and playing music from my happier days (90's), and singing along does though! Maybe go somewhere to work out, or take a walk, and try that on the way to see if it lifts you up.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Working out alone didn't help me so I started on medication about 4 years ago. Took a few tries to find the right one. The right combination of exercise and medication was what has been helpful to me. That being said...I still have my moments...like now...my heart aches and I don't know why.
  • LisaJCox043
    LisaJCox043 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe it will depend on us on how to set up our mind. In my case, it works because I think of it as the great solution in order to be not depressed. Sometimes, I am pushing myself to level up because you know it is only ourselves that can make it. What is my other strategy? Well, I just go outside with my best of friends and we go to beauty saloon and do some makeover from head to toe. We just search for the best beauty shops that have good reviews in order for us to be sure on our beauty safety
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    I think it helps me keep my mind off things. And I know if I exercise I will feel better about myself. Definitely works better than eating a bag of Oreo cookies or a gallon of ice cream lol
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder type 1 and find regular exercise helps considerably. Currently I take only lithium which is very effective for manic symptoms, but only moderately so for the depressive symptoms of the disease.

I find a little exercise (outside if possible) does help with my depression BUT if I am in a major depressive episode I can barely get off the couch or shower, so exercise is not even on the radar.

Someone earlier touched on finding an exercise you like. For me right now that's jogging through the trails of a local nature reserve but it has been different things at different times in my life.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    36yr4gu1pyqv.png
  • zella1100
    zella1100 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After the first few months of walk/jogging I felt more confidence. This helped with any stress or unexpected anxiety I had to deal with on any given day.

Eventually, I then started to walk/jogging more often just to clear my mind. Sort of distracted me while burning a few more calories too. So it did help me but everyone is different.
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I moved to Oregon from California as well, and I don't necessarily have depression but I struggle with mood swings/anxiety. Exercising helps me sometimes, other times it doesnt, or like you said, can make it worse. If I can get into more of a routine working out and regularly, it seems to help a lot more overall, not just right after, it also helps me sleep when I do that

This can get me too sometimes. I'm looking at implementing meditation techniques :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

I'm not quite sure how you're expecting anyone here to be able to help you battle depression?Something either helps or it doesn't, for me it does much of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. See your doctor, change medication, plan something in your life that you look forward to, change your workout to one that excites you...this is all a you thing, not a random people on the internet giving you a step by step guide how to overcome it thing. One of the greatest and worst things you'll ever discover is depression is not a thing you can specifically target and switch on and off with certain things. It's just random.

Which is probably why they asked for tips, no one asked for a step by step how to... So much of your comment is unnecessary and makes you sound like a jerk

I don't understand why people on MFP have to be so mean! Seriously, if you have nothing nice to say... Keep your mouth shut and move on.

I think the original comment was pretty mean.
    This is supposed to be a support site and yet there'll always be someone who says, don't ask random people on the internet,see a doctor! Which is not always helpful
  • RynnieOrion
    RynnieOrion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That stinks that you're struggling with depression, and that exercise doesn't give you the relief others might find. You are not alone.

I hope you don't mind if I share my perspective.

I live by a 5% rule. I have a painful genetic chronic illness that includes major depressive disorder. I spent decades looking for the one magic pill or treatment (literally from aspirin to brain surgery!) that would make me all better.

But now, I shoot for 5% better. Cardio does not alleviate my depression; but I usually feel about 5% better emotionally after I do it. The mindfulness aspect of yoga gives me 5% more clarity. Even light weight training, though it is painful for me for days afterward, makes me feel like I am stronger (and younger, and more fit!), which is a solid 5-10% improvement in my self-image.

I hope you can find some physical or self-care activities that can give you a few 5%s. They can add up quickly, and feeling 20% better is a HUGE leap forward. Best wishes to you.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm not quite sure how you're expecting anyone here to be able to help you battle depression?Something either helps or it doesn't, for me it does much of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. See your doctor, change medication, plan something in your life that you look forward to, change your workout to one that excites you...this is all a you thing, not a random people on the internet giving you a step by step guide how to overcome it thing. One of the greatest and worst things you'll ever discover is depression is not a thing you can specifically target and switch on and off with certain things. It's just random.

Which is probably why they asked for tips, no one asked for a step by step how to... So much of your comment is unnecessary and makes you sound like a jerk

I don't understand why people on MFP have to be so mean! Seriously, if you have nothing nice to say... Keep your mouth shut and move on.

This is supposed to be a support site and yet there'll always be someone who says, don't ask random people on the internet,see a doctor! Which is not always helpful

If it is something about which is it extremely irresponsible to give advice without being a medical professional who has actually seen/examined the patient and where bad advice could be harmful, I think it's the only choice sometimes, and FAR more helpful than giving the advice you are not qualified to give. (I haven't reviewed this thread to see if this applies, but I think this is an important point to make in general. I've seen people ask about MANY things where no random person on the internet should be giving advice other than "talk to a medical professional" and where too many people jump in to opine anyway.)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If it is something about which is it extremely irresponsible to give advice without being a medical professional who has actually seen/examined the patient and where bad advice could be harmful, I think it's the only choice sometimes, and FAR more helpful than giving the advice you are not qualified to give. (I haven't reviewed this thread to see if this applies, but I think this is an important point to make in general. I've seen people ask about MANY things where no random person on the internet should be giving advice other than "talk to a medical professional" and where too many people jump in to opine anyway.)

Yes,I see what you're saying - fair point. It's more the way it was said. But I've come to accept that things don't get sugar coated on here!
  • mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    TLDR, apologies. But I would say it depends on the type of exercise. For me walking outside always cheers me up (from the slight sweat I work up and the sunlight and seeing other people/going places/doing things). Heavier indoor exercise never gave me that lift in my spirits. But I've recently discovered a kind of exercise that makes me feel amazing. It doesn't fit into any real category, but it's super easy, especially if you have a fitbit or other calorie burn tracking device: I dance. Not like real steps or in a class - I just turn on my jams and go crazy until I reach a set calorie goal (usually 100-200 calories). If the dancing feels repetitive or too easy you can intersperse various body weight exercises like ab work, kicks and punches, etc. To me this has been a fabulous solution to my low mood and exercise troubles ^_^
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Runners find the endorphin boost comes in time and perhaps more so than with exercise in a gym. If I could I would but arthritis in the hips and knees can impede progress. So I walk and talk with friends. My depression was mainly helped with mindful meditation, and I think running is a natural mindful exercise as you are more focused when running I believe.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    therapy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    russb_ wrote: »
    I think the advice is said as more a way to get one off the couch and out of the mental state by doing something. I've never been cured of depression by hitting the gym five days a week. In fact I become more aggressive and irritable than if I just sat at home. That might be from my choice of metal music though while working out haha.

d456c49b2a37910c16769f544edf2448.png