Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar or Sweetener?

124»

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited July 2016
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Sorry for the second post. I don't see an edit button.

What I meant to add is that if you actually knew what was in artificial sweeteners, and knew how they are made, you might think twice. Would you eat formaldehyde? Mmmmmm. Formaldehyde. Yum, right? No? Thought not.

I stopped using anything with aspartame in it when i realized that my sinusitis was made much, much worse when I used it. I had reached the point where I could not sleep at night because my nose was so blocked. Within a week of discontinuing it, my breathing started to improve.

I'll read your link about the thyroid if you read this one about formaldehyde. Deal?

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde

Dose makes poison. Just because something may contain formaldehyde doesn't mean it's enough to do any damage.

Edit: and that's supposing there even is any present... I just get tired of people fearmongering based on words without understanding when and how something is a problem. Homeopathic quantities will not hurt you...
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Usually artificial sweeteners are just chemical cocktails and that's why they're low calorie.. Sugar is high in sugar (lol) but can be sourced naturally. Agave and stevia are the same.

Here's an interesting thread about aspartame. You might like it!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
  • JaneSnowe
    sarahthes wrote: »

What I meant to add is that if you actually knew what was in artificial sweeteners, and knew how they are made, you might think twice. Would you eat formaldehyde? Mmmmmm. Formaldehyde. Yum, right? No? Thought not.

I stopped using anything with aspartame in it when i realized that my sinusitis was made much, much worse when I used it. I had reached the point where I could not sleep at night because my nose was so blocked. Within a week of discontinuing it, my breathing started to improve.

I'll read your link about the thyroid if you read this one about formaldehyde. Deal?

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde

Dose makes poison. Just because something may contain formaldehyde doesn't mean it's enough to do any damage.

Edit: and that's supposing there even is any present... I just get tired of people fearmongering based on words without understanding when and how something is a problem. Homeopathic quantities will not hurt you...

Homeopathic quantities are nonexistent.

Did you read the link? Because it says basically the same thing as your first sentence, but with a sound explanation of the facts.

Maybe we are in agreement on these two points?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member

Did you read the link? Because it says basically the same thing as your first sentence, but with a sound explanation of the facts.

I rather think we are in agreement that paranoia about things like formaldehyde and 'artificial' foods is kinda dumb? (I'm a chemist, but I'm also sleep-deprived at the moment so maybe not expressing myself well lol...)
  • JaneSnowe

I rather think we are in agreement that paranoia about things like formaldehyde and 'artificial' foods is kinda dumb? (I'm a chemist, but I'm also sleep-deprived at the moment so maybe not expressing myself well lol...)

Yes! *high five* :smiley:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Usually artificial sweeteners are just chemical cocktails and that's why they're low calorie.. Sugar is high in sugar (lol) but can be sourced naturally. Agave and stevia are the same.

They're low calorie because you only need a fraction of a gram to get the same sweetness as a handful of sugar...
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Sugar--I think it's a generational and cultural preference. Coming of age in the 70's and in the San Francisco Bay Area, mine was a generation that vehemently rejected preservatives and artificial additives in our foods.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Sugar--I think it's a generational and cultural preference. Coming of age in the 70's and in the San Francisco Bay Area, mine was a generation that vehemently rejected preservatives and artificial additives in our foods.

Lol. Except for the drugs, sex and Rock n' Roll!
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Eat sugar. Stay away from artificial sweeteners. Your body evolved eating real food not food like substances.

Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index. Try to eat the less refined sugars.

My 2 cents.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    SaliDale wrote: »
    Eat sugar. Stay away from artificial sweeteners. Your body evolved eating real food not food like substances.

My 2 cents.

Isn't coconut sugar refined?
  • jgubdlach
    jgubdlach Posts: 19 Member
    Stevia****
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    SaliDale wrote: »

My 2 cents.

Real foods like those fruits and vegetables that have as much in common with what they where like before human intervention as a chicken has in common with a T-Rex?
    Makes perfect sense.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    The amounts of misunderstanding of even the basic principles of chemistry in this thread...Jesus. "Zomg guys, these are totally chemicals and bad for you!!"

As I've said before: for everyone touting the weird *kitten* "natural is best" crap, remember that 99 times out of 100, nature's goal is to kill you, so you don't kill it. As such, that's a pretty damned weird mantra to live by.
  • Kellyn1234
    Kellyn1234 Posts: 5 Member
    I use sugar in my coffee and tea.
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    no one - humn body doesn't need noone
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    I try to stick to Splenda or honey to sweeten things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    The only thing I can think of that I add sugar to is when I make my homemade BBQ sauce...other than that I don't really add sugar or sweeteners to anything.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Sugar. MMMM. Made brownies this weekend with a full cup of the highly processed white stuff.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    I can't use sweetener because It causes joint pain, but sugar is more calories, I'm trying to quit both all together.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Whatever fits my goals for the day better.