Post WO Insulin spike

Options
jessef593
jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
Hey I was just curious if anyone else has tried insulin spiking via simple carbs post workout in order to speed up and increase protein and creatine up take. The general ratio is 1.5/1 carbs/protein. You can use pretty much any simple carbs such as sucralose, corn sugar, or dextrose. Dextrose being the preferred among many. It's basically supposed to create a greater anabolic environment for your body post workout since it's the best time for nutrients, due to the fact you've probably used up all of your glycogen stores and any other available nutrients. If anyone has tried it or has thoughts on it, Id be happy to hear them. Obviously I'm not expecting incredible results, but that extra 3% ish is always a welcome edge.

Replies

• jessef593
    Options
    Bumpety bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Between my bodybuilding shows I used Torrent by Universal as my post workout meal. I came in heavier, bigger and leaner from spring to fall. I can't tell you if it did or didn't help any more than eating a regular meal since I have nothing else to compare it to. It was just an easy way to fit a meal in after a workout as I drove back to work.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Alright thanks. I ordered some dextrose and am going to try out the 1.5/1 ratio for 6 weeks ish to see if recovery improves along with any strength gains. Since I feel like I've been struggling with both lately. If anyone else has any input, it'd be gladly heard.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want, but whey has shown to spike insulin immensely by itself so it's not something I would particularly worry about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Immediate post workout meals aren't that significant to the general population. If you're not recovering properly, then it has more to do with actual rest time between workouts and your macro/micro nutrient profiling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jessef593
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Immediate post workout meals aren't that significant to the general population. If you're not recovering properly, then it has more to do with actual rest time between workouts and your macro/micro nutrient profiling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I generally take care to hit my macros along with micros, and always finish my day off with a good multi vitamin. I also give 3 days between hitting a muscle group. The insulin spike is something I've read a great deal about and have even had recommended by a trainer who's competed in the Olympics. I hope to compete naturally in the next few years so I'm basically just seeking any extra edge I can get. Thanks for your guys input on the subject.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Hey I was just curious if anyone else has tried insulin spiking via simple carbs post workout in order to speed up and increase protein and creatine up take. The general ratio is 1.5/1 carbs/protein. You can use pretty much any simple carbs such as sucralose, corn sugar, or dextrose. Dextrose being the preferred among many. It's basically supposed to create a greater anabolic environment for your body post workout since it's the best time for nutrients, due to the fact you've probably used up all of your glycogen stores and any other available nutrients. If anyone has tried it or has thoughts on it, Id be happy to hear them. Obviously I'm not expecting incredible results, but that extra 3% ish is always a welcome edge.

Regarding the bold.... That would have to be a very long duration cardio workout to use up your all of your glycogen stores. 20 miles running, two hours fast cycling for example.
    If you had ever "hit the wall" or "bonked" you would know all about it - the symptoms are awful (absolutely crushing fatigue, mental confusion, loss of co-ordination etc.)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The only people I know that do this are very advanced lifters. Most of them, if they do this, just buy smarties from the store.
    Even these advanced lifters are unsure if it makes a difference, but as one guy said "hey I get to have candy after my workout".