July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Goal was 60 but personal issues meant one week missed. Looks like 50 for me.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Rest day for me, from running - I'll do some kind of light cardio and I need to do upper body and ab work. I ran 17 miles Fri-Sun and I have 19.5 to go to hit my 100 miles for July! By Wednesday I'll hit 26.5 miles for that week (Fri-Thur is how my brain works and Thurs is rest day) which will be 3 more miles than my previous high week. Once I get to 100 on Saturday, I'll take Sunday as an extra rest day and then lighten up so I'll have a cutback week of 18 miles. After that, no clue! I think I'll just run by feel day to day for August and try to hit around 75 miles? Then maybe for Sept start pushing it again. At the end of July I'll be at 427.5 miles for the year, so having run 100 of those in one month, I think I need a rest :-D

I became instantly tired just reading this. LOL> What happens if you don't make goal? Do you end up in some penalty box?
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    BetterMike wrote: »

50 is better than nothing in my book. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    BetterMike wrote: »

50 is still good. Like @TattooedDolphinGirl78 said, 50 is way better than nothing for sure!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @skippygirlsmom Love it!!!! LOL!
  • MNLittleFinn
    @skippygirlsmom yeah it's only 100 a month. I may have to try for it. Hopefully I can actually get it done before mid December when the cold weather begins. Great picture there BTW....I'm pretty sure that I look like that when I'm running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Rest day for me, from running - I'll do some kind of light cardio and I need to do upper body and ab work. I ran 17 miles Fri-Sun and I have 19.5 to go to hit my 100 miles for July! By Wednesday I'll hit 26.5 miles for that week (Fri-Thur is how my brain works and Thurs is rest day) which will be 3 more miles than my previous high week. Once I get to 100 on Saturday, I'll take Sunday as an extra rest day and then lighten up so I'll have a cutback week of 18 miles. After that, no clue! I think I'll just run by feel day to day for August and try to hit around 75 miles? Then maybe for Sept start pushing it again. At the end of July I'll be at 427.5 miles for the year, so having run 100 of those in one month, I think I need a rest :-D

I became instantly tired just reading this. LOL> What happens if you don't make goal? Do you end up in some penalty box?

Where's our witty lawyer when ya need him?

Edit: You don't make your goal we throw you to the "wolf" hahaha! @LoneWolfRunner
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »

LOL No penalty box! But hitting 100 miles this month is big deal to me. It used to take me 6 months to run 100 miles. I usually have no real plan for running but getting to 100 isn't going to just happen if I'm not pushing myself and thinking about how many miles I need each week to get there. But I can tell I want to go back to my more relaxed way of just choosing when and how far to run by how I feel that day :)

July 1 - 5 mile run with 3 miles of hills....10 min pilates
    July 2 - 2 mi "trail running fail".....4 miles real running :-p
    July 3 - 2.5 mi hard run
    July 4 - Rest day
    July 5 - 3 mi easy run....1.5 mi walk with sprinting intervals....25 min strength/pilates/stretching
    July 6 - 4 mi run
    July 7 - 30 min indoor cardio, 30 min strength/pilates
    July 8 - 6 mile run with 2 miles of hill repeats
    July 9 - 5 mi run
    July 10 - Sick day
    July 11 - 2 mi awful run......40 min cardio/strength circuit type workout
    July 12 - 4 mi easy run followed by 1 mi of strides and .5 jog home = 5.5 miles
    July 13 - 5 slow miles
    July 14 - 20 min light cardio, 20 min pilates
    July 15 - 40 min light cardio
    July 16 - 8 mi run ***distance PR*** and 25 min pilates/strength
    July 17 - 4 mi pretty achy/tired run A.M./1hr40 min rollerskating P.M.
    July 18 - 20 min light cardio A.M./pilates and strength later in the P.M.
    July 19 - 3 mi run with 1 mi of hill repeats in the middle
    July 20 - Brutal, hot 5 mile run
    July 21 - Rest day
    July 22 - 5 miles with 3 middle miles of 5 hill repeats, 30 mins stretching/pilates/abs
    July 23 - 8 mile run, yardwork (boo!)
    July 24 - 4 mi run, 20 min pilates/stretching
    July 25 - 20 min arms/abs strength training, 40 min light cardio
    July 26 - 3.3 mi run, 1.2 miles of strides then jog home = 4.5 miles

85.1 miles of 60 (all bonus miles go to our invalids) ***15 miles to make upped goal of 100 miles***
  • MNLittleFinn
    @greenolivetree you've got plenty of time. You'll make your 100 this month!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    You'll get it @greenolivetree! I understand though, I've been eyeballing the weather here too. I guess I can resort to treadmill again if i need to, but hopefully things work out. Good luck to you!

It didn't rain :) Yay.

@orphia I'd rather be moving while meditating/thinking also :)

@JessicaMcB I see you've passed your goal, great job!

@MNLittleFinn Great run today! We all know you're going to run 100+ miles every month and top 1000 for the year ;) I have three 5 mile runs left....with an extra day to spare just in case.

@skippygirlsmom I always feel like that bottom picture :-/

@5512bf Good luck getting your cadence and stride worked out!

@mbaker566 Good job on that run. Maybe go through a few weeks of C25K if you want to get back into the swing of running continuously again? Or just wing it. I'm more of the wing it type. Never made it past week 3 of C25K. Haha.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @Somebody_Loved great running!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @Somebody_Loved Great running and you look great!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Last night's run was amazing. Only 3 miles but my knees felt great, and despite the heat, I felt like I could have gone forever. I also decided to free myself of the clingy, sweaty shirt and run in just a sports bra because it's too damn hot to be insecure (and it's only in the low 80s here - don't know how some of you do it!).

My son and husband will run in shirts in the 90+ (32+C) and I do not understand. My son complained his nips hurt, but I could be the cotton 'A' shirt (aka wife beater) he wears under his running shirt, :confused: wth kid? Lose both shirts!

I don't care how chunky I am, I'm losing the shirt in the heat. You look trim, I'm still working on flank and bra fat. Cookie fat :neutral:

I saw some female pro runners in a top that was more like a cropped tank/sports bra. I'd kinda been looking for such a thing that wasn't super expensive.

Once that shirt is off, is like putting fire back on.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @Somebody_Loved -You look fantastic. Wish I had your guts.
    @shanaber -The pups are adorable!!! I'll bet they had a blast!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited July 2016
    @MNLittleFinn @TattooedDolphinGirl78 @lporter229 - Thank you!

@Elise4270 - I went running with my boyfriend last night and he didn't want to take his shirt off, either. I was hesitant to do it, too, but realized very quickly that being comfortable is way more important than any insecurity I may have, and that no one is looking at me anyway. I saw some great sports bras like the ones you're describing but they were $62! I couldn't justify it but they sure were pretty.

@shanaber - I LOVE those pictures, such beautiful dogs!! That's so cool!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @shanaber - I just noticed you're doing Beat the Blerch in Seattle! I'm so bummed - I signed up for a different half that weekend before I knew about Beat the Blerch so I'm going to miss it. :( I can't wait to see pictures from it, I bet you'll have a blast!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I feel like I'm Phoebe running sometimes, especially with my arms. I feel like they just flail around with every step when I'm getting tired!

Just been out for another run in my hometown. These hills are going to be the end of my poor glutes and quads, they are burning like never before! No wonder I always swore of running after the few times I tried it as a teenager.

2nd July - 6.04 miles
    5th July - 10.05 miles
    7th July - 3.11 miles
    8th-10th July - swollen foot
    11th July - 4.02 miles
    13th July - 3.12 miles
    16th July - 6.05 miles
    18th July - 6.03 miles
    20th July - 3.16 miles
    23rd July - 5.31 miles
    24th July - 5.02 miles
    26th July - 7 miles

MTD - 58.91/71 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon

Oh, and some advice please - I came across an advert for a 20mile race 4 weeks out from my marathon. As long as I treat it as a training run, that's a good idea, right? I figure that I can use it to practice my race day routines, fueling etc in a race setting and maybe get an idea of what sort of pace I will be up to running on the day, as it'll be my first marathon and I have no real idea. It's pretty cheap too and, well, bling! So, should I sign up?