WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I've contacted Michele @exermom about the DVDs she is selling; unless she has had someone beat me to the punch. I have always been surprised that she would post a different one every day. I have trouble with balance; but, it had been due, in part, for the 40+ extra pounds I had been toting around. But, I also broke my right ankle and crushed the heel in a bad wreck (then I ran into a piece of furniture) and broke my left big toe so badly that it turns outward toward my right foot at a 90° angle. The big toe, on humans, is what helps us keep our balance. I learned that the middle two toes is what gives a dog its balance; and, that is why Cracker continues to favor her left foot. Vet said it would probably hurt her until the toenail he had to cut back significant (way back into the quick. They had broken down to the quick and he had to put her to sleep to do that. It's growing back now. He told us until it grew out long enough to touch the ground yet, she'd probably favor it. I'm taking her Friday to board her for a few days and I will have him cut her toenails back. The next toenail is so long that it is turning into the pad of the one that is tender; and, that might be why she continues to favor that foot, too. She doesn't do it all the time. My big toe was not set, so that is pretty permanent now. Occasionally, when it turns outward for some reason; I will put those things that go between your toes when you are polishing your toenails. I would not want to have it broken again, just to have it 'set' to hopefully change it.

I tried to pick up a 40lb of potting soil and could not do it; and, to think I was toting that much around on my body; I am not surprised that I'd 'face-plant' myself if I hit an uneven spot in the grass or walkway/sidewalk.

Miriam - I think a lot of us that receive SSD or SSI are concerned about our checks regardless of 'who' gets elected since we've been hearing for years that it is going 'broke'. If I was young, and could do it; I'd tell the government not to take our the taxes that they 'supposedly' pay into that program and open up a savings account or through a financial officer and earn interest on it. But, some of that is because it has be 'raped' to pay for other programs. It is NOT a 'benefit' program; we paid into that program and it is OUR money.

I think that after Ted Cruz's speech the other night; he might as well have 'shot himself in the foot' insofar as his 'political career' goes. Some of the others might have done the same by staying away. IMHO! But, all of them signed a pledge to support whoever became the nominee; but, I guess they never thought that Trump would win.

I've always said that their choices of a VP might 'make or break' them. I know nothing about either one of them. I was just 'surprised' that it only took 20 minutes for the Dems to 'ferret out' and talk about plagiarism of Michelle Obama's speech. I've always 'thought' that plagiarism was 'copying or saying word-for-word' something that had been written in a magazine, reference book, or newspaper - who would 'own' the copyright to that speech; and, I doubt that was done. I think she and Trump's children did a great job talking about their husband and father, period. What really got my goat; was the talking over by the newscasters all during their speeches. They'll do the same for the Dems, too.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip - What does "Walbermized" mean? Y'all need to have bike racks attached to it, too. At least you do have beach property to put it on, provided the county allows that. I thought you bought or have a VW; do y'all own any other vehicle that can pull it? To me, it is fairly easy to back DH's truck back to his boat; but I hate to try to move it backwards. Correcting it is different than correcting a car that is swinging back and forth on a dirt road. Good move getting a back-up camera for it, too. I'm not sure I could live in that sort of trailer.

My DOS owns a double-wide; my DYS owns a single wide at the lake; but, for some reason I think his floor plan makes it seem bigger, better laid out that DOS's. DYS so is 'anal' and 'OCD' that when we leave he is already sweeping it out; makes me think that 'we have stayed long enough'. DDnL#2's house is little; but, her Daddy helped her remodel it after it got flooded; and they took out one of the walls; then put a 2nd bathroom off the utility room. For now, it works for them; but, 'if' they have another child; they'll end up needing to move to something larger. They plan on building somewhere. Hoping to find land that is about 1/2 way from the house and the lake place; but, that has been put 'on hold' as they are going to try I.V.F.. She just found out her tubes are completely blocked; so this will either work or they'll have to accept that DDnL#2's daughter is the only child they'll have. She loves DYS so much; she asked her mother, if her name would change, when they got married. She told her 'no' and 'why'. DGD#4 told her that she loved DYS; but, her Dad's wife, that nearly - or even 'if'.

Lenora
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thank you Janet!!! In my own self protection, I have chosen to never read a certain someone's posts because of all the political jabs. It makes me feel alienated from this entire group.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Miriam So sorry to hear that you have felt this way. We certainly value you and your knowledge and understanding on such a wide variety of topics. You are a beautiful soul with so much to offer our group. This is an example of why we have agreed not discuss politics, religion and other controversial topics. It does hurt feelings and ruffle feathers. Our purpose on this site is to encourage, support and uplift each other in our pursuit of a healthy life style. Let's all renew our efforts in having a positive effect for all members. Big (((hugs)))

Janetr okc

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! Going to be another record breaking hot day. I am working 6-4:30 today so will be inside. Yesterday was a good day off. I had DGD for the day and I got a lot of cleaning done and can even find things in the spare room. DGD loves to shred papers so did keep her busy.

Heather--Love the pictures of the DGBs. Glad you are having a good time. They grow up so fast.

Miriam--Sending HUGS and PRAYERS. You have a lot on your mind.

Tracie--Hope your dad is feeling more positive soon. You new car sounds really nice. I do understand how you feel, when we got our van the first of the year, it is the newest thing we ever had and I felt very uncomfortable at first. Was so afraid I would scratch it or wreck. But now I just love it.

Pat--Sounds like you have a house full, I hope you enjoy the time with family and making great memories.

Joyce--I pray things slow down for you soon. Please take care of yourself. Glad Charlie is home.

Lisa--Sounds like adding you to the staff was a very smart move. Paper looks inviting to read.

Mary--Beautiful babies. Glad they are doing so well. I have to walk that fine line with a couple of my stepchildren. But all the grandbabies call me grandma. One day at a time.

DJ--I agree with the reasons you resigned. They will be sorry in the long run when they realize how much you did. But the rules have to be the same for everyone.

Peach--I have that evening snacking problem. Seems after supper I just snack without thinking.

Rita--I used to skip out of school early so I could be home to watch Dark Shodaws.

Well I am caught up and time to get some work done. I have to work on the next schedule and going to be interesting as one of my night people is having surgery and have to cover those shifts for 4-6 weeks. Of course no one wants to work the night shift. Take care ladies and please stay cool.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Vicki - The wonderful thing is how great it is for DH to have step grandchildren. We discussed it with DDIL and she said she would never keep him from the DGC whatever happened with my son.
    We are blessed.

Yes, the political comments are deeply offensive. Even to someone from the UK.

Watching the Tour de France. Looks like our adopted guy has won!

Love Heather
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Grits- thought about the airstream bike rack, don't like it, so the queen of the castle is not going to have one
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    KarenVA- very nice routine and written perfect. <3
    Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ok......so I had leftover buttermilk from when I made the oat f a r l s... so I made buttermilk pancakes this morning. Yummy! Annnnd I can't really eat anything else for the rest of the day. My fault, my bad. But they were so good!
    Becca
    Miss Buttermilk Butt in
    Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,824 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my day of exploring -shopping. Stopped at 2 yard sales and picked up a couple of air purifiers and a mini-pie maker for $5 total!

Found 2 consignment shops - 1 was GREAT with lots of stuff and very good prices. Had a store-wide 20% off sale and a clearance sale going on. My DH got 2 pairs of pants, I got several tops, a jean jacket, Adidas yoga pants, and top all for $27! Brand new clothes too, original tags still on them!

Went to Marshalls then Red Lobster (fish and chips 630 cals.), then Bed Bath and Beyond. Finished at a local specialty super market called Stew Leonard's where we got 2 live lobsters for $4.99 each!

All in all a very good day with good bargains to boot!

Rita from CT
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @miriamwithcats Miriam I value you so much, and have gained a lot of insight from your comments. I will always have a tender spot in my heart for the work you do with animals, some of whom die despite your efforts. I know you are on a limited income and voluntarily spend part of it to take care of injured or abandoned animals, which shows the depth of your character and the love you have in your heart. You have so been courageous in appropriately confronting others on this thread, and in a way that several of us have been in awe of. You do it so well, and so directly.

So I hope you will take this in the loving spirit that I intend it:

I fully understand being upset by someone's political comments. I even understand taking a break from the thread if you need to.

I also think you are very worried about the upcoming elections as you alluded to in this post from 2 days ago:
    Re in tx. My mood has been down, which is why my posts are rare and brief right now. It is mostly due to two things. Fear about what will happen to the supports (SSDI and Medicare) that I PAID for, if the GOP wins this election and what will happen to my son since his supports are one's that don't come out of FICA. And one of my kitties is on death's doorstep, barely hanging on from day to day (cancer). I am doing all the things I can to improve my mood (step away from the news). Sunshine has been scarce but we are in for a few days now (along with HEAT) and exercise (just spent 90 minutes in my friend's above ground pool doing water aerobics). Thanks for asking.

If you get mad at somebody here...that's probably happened (or will happen) to every one of us from time to time. But feeling alienated from the entire group because you are mad at one person is not an appropriate response. Having said that, if it really is the way you feel, then it's the way you feel...I just think you should ponder on why that is. I am going to venture to offer that you may be extra sensitive to political comments because it makes you feel anxious about your financial situation. I would feel the same way.

Just remember that regardless of how often you post, or how you feel (even alienated), this is a group of women that love and support you. We value you.

Karen in Virginia
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    My mom was having a bad day today so 4 hrs spent driving down and back was not much fun! She has always had mental health problems and at 90, they haven't improved along with the dementia and physical disabilities. So today, she cried and cried and could only say that she wants to go home and she is so alone in the nursing home. I told her that she probably has more visitors than anyone there (5 children and spouses), I finally told her when she can stand up and walk, we would send her home. Allie, you are so good to tend to your DFIL like you do. He is so lucky to have your care! I just wish I had a better attitude about this.

Karen ~ When I first started MFP I did pre-log and I totally agree that it helped. I lost almost 20 pounds but have gotten lazy and gained back 16. So, I just need to get my mind back on goal.

Pip ~ My IL's had an Air Stream back in the 70's and 80's. They drove the thing through the streets of NY City. They ended up buying a vacation home in Fla and my BnL took the trailer. It was quite nice inside and very livable.

Rita ~ Sound like you are enjoying exploring your area. I'm sorry but can't remember if it is a new place that you are living in.

Caro
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora, yes I remember travelers checks. That's the way we used to go when ever we traveled. I'm not really sure where you even get them now. It used to be AAA or the bank. I remember one time we went into a local bank wherever we were at and wanted to cash in some checks. The teller had no idea what they were and since we didn't have an account there refused to cash them. I asked for a manager and got our money. I'm sure she also got an 'education' from the manager.

We had quite a time last night figuring out how Charlie was going to get in and out of bed. He had no trouble with his ileostomy surgery so I'm not really sure what the big difference was except that the first surgery was straight down his tummy and this one is straight across. We finally figured out that he would call my cell phone and I would help him. He didn't need that as I heard him call for me. But when he woke up this morning he got up on his own. He fixed a light breakfast on his own and then we had a nice lunch.

Our oldest daughter wants to take some kind of an RV to the areas of GRand Canyon, Yellowstone, Badlands, etc. It would be a 2 week trip. I have no idea how in the world they would pay for this since they haven't even started to pay off their college loans and they are 37 and 40. Anyone know of a company that rents out RVS?

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Peach1948- that is our plan. the lot we have by the ocean is what we currently have listed to sell, we will end up selling this home and will move back somewhere in california to be closer to family. thinking about gilroy maybe for part of the time, we are planning on taking away the dining area and putting an extended couch with storage underneath to give us more room. ours is a 2004 25 footer
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Joyce-there are places that rent them see them on the highway all the time. My DB and DSL have one right now and are in Boothbay Harbor Maine.
    They will be home tomorrow late afternoon...
    I am having a pity party for myself
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Lost most of my post oh well