Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Poll : Traditional Gym or Boutique/Studio Gym?

2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Barbells, plates, a power cage, a bench, and grunting, sweating, and swearing.

What he said. Every single thing listed there. Though, I'd also add in chalk, but you tend to catch a bunch of whiny crap over it at most pubbie gyms these days.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am in love with the studio I've been going to for1-1/2 years. The instructors are positive, the gym-goers are positive. I love that they mix up the classes. P90x, kickboxing, Cize, Zumba, barre, yoga, Pilates. They also create their own classes making fun names such as Dirty 30, booty builder. Much variety, love group fitness. And, I've recently signed up for my first 5k which I'm planning to RUN. Hockeytown 5k...a farewell to Joe Louis Arena. Go Wings!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I've done traditional, Orange Theory and outdoors. OT will definitely reap rewards. It's structured, efficient. Outdoors is cheaper.

It all depends on what you want.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I like my university's gym because it kind of has both. But if I had to choose, I wouldn't want to pay to go to a gym that only fit one of my needs (ie, something that just held cycling classes), so I think I would go for the traditional gym in that instance.
    I DO like group classes but that can't be the only thing that goes on at the gym I attend.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Loved having a home gym growing up. My dad had a huge setup so I could do everything a commercial gym had to offer. If I had the space I would do it in a heartbeat. Only major concern with having a home gym like my dad is when it is time to move. Boxing up, moving and setting up a weight room is a PITA!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Both. I go to a pilates studio and take classes and have sessions on the equipment. The owner is becoming a friend. The gym is nice and anonymous, but very limited pilates.
    I'm very similar - I have a gym membership for a traditional style gym (which has a pool, weights, cardio etc, plus numerous group classes), but I also go to a separate pilates studio. As far as I'm concerned, pilates is one of those things that needs to be taught in a small group (or 1 to 1, if you can afford it!) setting. The pilates classes offered at my large gym are barely of an adequate standard, IMO, although plenty of the other classes (spin, HIIT, Les Mills etc) are good quality instruction.

I like going into the gym and cranking out a few miles on the treadmill, or getting a sweat worked up on the elliptical, with my headphones in and ignoring everyone else! I do also use the weights, and have gotten the gym instructors to set me up on a weights routine, but they leave me to it, and I just go back to them for the occasional review. But my pilates is a communal experience, in small group settings with lots of personal attention - I like that, and I improve far more rapidly that way.