Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

1333435363739»

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    lurline27 wrote: »
    I stick to 2-3 strawberries every morning. In the afternoon if I want a snack I have some cheese and no more than 12 red grapes. Sometimes I add a quarter of an orange to my protein shake. If I buy bananas I buy the very very small ones and I do not have one every day

Why? Please don't say WHO guidelines
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    If your blood sugar is okay, I wouldn't worry. If you are diabetic, or prediabetic like me, then you have to limit fruit portions. I pay attention to which fruits have a lower glycemic index. Strawberries and cantaloupe are winners; bananas are in the "be careful, eat small ones" category.

If you do not have a medical condition, feel free to just count the fruit calories and ignore all the other stuff. :)
  • gothchiq
    yarwell wrote: »
    I've read several articles about this topic because I eat so much fruit. I came to the conclusion that it's ok to eat as much as you want -unless you have diabetes.
    Fruit has fiber and other nutrients that make them really healthy, unlike white sugar and refined carbs.

Sprinkle sugar on broccoli and you get more nutrients with your sugar than from fruit.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay, I can't.... I can't even imagine eating this! Sounds like a harmless way to prank my husband, though..... >:)
  • gothchiq
    yarwell wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    They still haven't come up with an explanation other than "but fibre!" because, somehow, fibre negates the evil of sugar.

Fibre isn't magic and the blood sugar response to fruit vs fruit juice shows this clearly. It does attenuate the rate of absorption and hence insulin response to whole fruit is less than juice but BG is the same in many cases.

If you look closely at published studies you can see evidence that questions the message of the Florida Citrus Growers that fruit is universally benign. At least 2 fruits are associated with diabetes while several others seem protective.

The tendency to conflate "fruitsandvegetables" may lead to the benefit of one being assigned to the other. In one study fruit consumption was associated with ovarian cancer while vegetables were protective but the headline news was that fruitsandvegetables were protective - just not as much as vegetables without the fruit.

coming from 55 degree North I'm not from a fruit rich environment but I can see how the nice taste and a lifetime of marketing has brainwashed us to thinking it's universally wonderful.

Can you remember which fruits were associated with health problems? I'd like to make sure I'm not eating boatloads of those types.