Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Replies

• BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have never been vaccinated for HPV, but I also never was really educated on the vaccine. Where I live, I also don't hear many girls getting vaccinated for HPV. Really it depends on what you side with, some believe there is no need if you are careful with who you sleep with while other's feel it is a well informed preventive decision for the future. Many parents still feel there is no need to receive a relatively new vaccine when it was never needed before. My mom never forced us to receive the vaccine. If you feel like it would be better for your children to receive the vaccination, even if for your own state of mind, then I don't see the harm.

Random question: Is it better to get the vaccine if your have a genetic disposition to have cervical cancer, etc? I'm not sure if either relate completely, but just an honest question.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Males can get HPV-caused cancer as well.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    All 5 of my kids received the HPV vaccine...even though it's totally not necessary.
    They'd never ever.... :o oh yes they would!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    My daughter was one of the very first to receive the vaccine she is also a diabetic. My daughter is now a research scientist and is grateful she is one of her few peers that received it. My nephews are now getting it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    HPV is a rather low risk issue; however if you have the means to get vaccinated for anything - do it!!! There is no logical fact-based rationale to not getting vaccinated unless you have some underlying medical condition or one of the willfully ignorant anti-vax crowd.

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Yes, absolutely.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    I was too old when the vaccine came along. My daughter just started her series, and my boys will too as they come of age.
  • brianneb304
    brianneb304 Posts: 14 Member
    I've researched it too and I don't think its worth the risks. But my daughter is a toddler so its definitely possible I'll change my mind, as of right now I do not intend to get it for her.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Yes, both my girls got it at age 11.
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    I just recently decided yes. Getting sick from something can be prevented I'm for. My oldest didn't get it because I didn't trust it but my youngest got it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Yes, as a parent and a having dealt with cervical dysplasia myself along with watching a cousin battle cervical cancer in her 20's.

My daughter (25) was not vaccinated as a teen because in 2006 I was not comfortable with the data available at that time. But now, yes I would! Afflictions that effect reproductive areas are so much more than just the medical side it can really affect a young or old persons view of themselves when the option of reproduction is taken away without one's say so.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    SMKing75 wrote: »
    I have 3 children. None of them are the age for this vaccine. While I am not anti-vax at all, I did not vaccinate on the schedule recommended. However, my kids are fully vaccinated at 8,7 and 4. Some other parents and I were just discussing this vaccine the other day. We are all kind of on the fence about it. I am not sure I want to subject my daughter to this at 11-12 years old. Maybe at 15-16 when my kids can make a decision about this also. I am not naive, nor am I religious or prudish. I just don't believe my daughter NEEDS this vaccine at 11. As parents, we all set out to do our best by our children. We read the literature and pour over the documentation. Not everything you read is conclusive one way or the other so you kind of have to make a decision and hope it doesn't bite you in the *kitten*. Just as I would feel awful if my child got HPV, I would feel just as equally bad if my child suffered an adverse reaction to the shot. It just hasn't been around long enough for me. And I WOULD NOT get the vaccine myself at age 40 if it was offered.

Look up the statistics of "tweens" reporting oral sex and mutual petting. Especially the girls. They feel like they won't be labeled as a prude if they just blow a guy, and then they will fit in. I read an article last week when I was down a rabbit hole at work, and can't seem to find it. It was enough to make me sit down and talk with my 10 year old again to find out if she had more specific questions than just the changes that are going on in her body and blatantly asking her if she had any questions about sex.

My mother and both her sisters had cervical cancer, and my mother lost a good portion of her fun bits to vulvar cancer. I've seen what this does. Its no different than protecting them from polio in my eyes.

I recall being at grade 7 camp (so I would have been... 13...) and one of the girls had already had multiple oral sex partners before she moved to my school. For all I knew, she might have had vagina sex partners too.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I've researched it too and I don't think its worth the risks. But my daughter is a toddler so its definitely possible I'll change my mind, as of right now I do not intend to get it for her.

What risks?
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,813 MFP Staff
    Hey Folks,

This topic has been cleaned up. Just a reminder attacking and trolling are against guidelines. Please stay on topic and be respectful. Any further attacks or trolling will result in warnings.

Betty, MFP Community Staff
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    What's the connection to the HPV vaccine and General Diet and Weight Loss Help?
  • scooter5106
    scooter5106 Posts: 9 Member
    Yes, may prevent cervical, throat, and anal cancer caused by hpv virus.
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    I have 2 daughters both only babies at the min. But 100% they will have it. There's no way I would withold something that could potentially have saved their life!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I got it. My daughter got it. My son got it. So, yes.