Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    My three older kid have it (2 girls and a boy) nd my youngest is about to start the series
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes my children will receive it. As a woman who has had cervical cancer scare twice if I can prevent that for my babies they will get it. Thankfully mine never developed past the precancer stage it is still a really scary thing.
  • kaylinhnguyen
    kaylinhnguyen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to try your best to protect your daughters from a serious illness. Vaccinate for sure!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Both my son and daughter got it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo my concern, as was the only concerns with the people opposed to it (that I personally spoke to) is the possibility of infertility. I just have to hope for the best.

While this might be a little late into the conversation . . . here's my thoughts.

I was outside of the age range that they were giving these vaccines when it first came out, but I was young enough to request it from my doctor . . . I think you have to be under 23 or 25 or something. So I got it.

Yes, there is a chance of infertility but (and this is going to sound horribly negative, but please take it with the best intentions) your daughters may have issues with fertility even if they don't get this vaccine. Many women do presently and there's no way to know if it is caused by the vaccine or any other number of factors. I have been on BC for 10+ years now but I may not even be able to have children . . . I won't know until I try. I got it because I believe in vaccinating . . . I know some don't, and to each their own . . . but if it were my daughter, I would push for the vaccine.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!! Absolutely!! I am not a parent but I received the vaccine in school when I was younger! I study a health science discipline (and know a bunch of the bs around vaccinations) and am a huge advocate for vaccinations. Why not protect your daughter from one of the most common cancers in women? Getting the vaccine also reduces transmission in the general population so you can protect others!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes definately. For boys as well. What "risks" by the way?

I have a health science background.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nope. I will leave the decision up to my daughter.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    MzHill08 wrote: »

It's recommended for 11 to 12 year old girls. Is she going to be in a position to make those types of decisions for herself?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Up to your child? Your child isn't an adult right?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My daughter who is old enough had had it. Less chance of cancer? Heck yes. Vaccines have made the world a better place. My kids are getting whatever is available.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100%. My son got it too. I notice people above posting they wish their sons got it. Mine did. It will protect his future partners. Offered by my family doctor.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I remember when it first came out, my son was only months and there were so many rumors about it causing seizures and muscle dystrophic disorders, it scared the bejeezers out of me, first time mom, easily impressionable. Thankfully, I didn't have to make that decision then. Now, my sons will be getting it on their next appointment. I have had the time to research and feel confident that it as safe as any other vaccine (there may always be risks, small as they may be), and what they protect against is too important not to! My boys will not get cervical cancer, but I wouldn't live with myself if I didn't help prevent them from passing it to a woman. Aaannnddd, they could still get throat cancer or other cancers associated with HPV.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes there over 100 kinds of HPV only 2 cause cancer from what I have studied. These are the ones targeted in the shot. Throats cancer is generally what men get because of oral sex. Dentist ate suppose to check for it. If your doctor has grabbed you tougue and pulled it tightly that is what he is looking for. The cancer forms on the base of the tongue. It is often too late by the time it is detected. Most dentist don't check for it like they should.
    My daughter got the shot and has had a child. By the way skin tags are caused by one form of HPV.
  • doomlizard
    doomlizard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Up to your child? Your child isn't an adult right?

Being an "adult" in age doesn't make you any more or less able to make this kind of decision, provided the information is presented in the right way. In the UK, it's offered to girls ages 12 and 13 as part of the routine schedule (but I think others older can request it, since it's a new vaccine) - and I know that, at that age, if someone had presented to me easy-to-understand information about the choice, I would have understood (and I would have said yes - as it was, I opted to have it at college, as one of the 'first wavers').

I really don't think you have much right as a parent to enforce any kind of decision on your child - in this case, if I had a girl refusing, I would strongly encourage her to have it and make my opinions of the negatives of not having it clear, but I would never force her into it. Autonomy over your own body is one of the single most important things you can teach a child - and at 12 years old, if you provide them information they can process, they can make an informed decision*.

*obviously if there's some reason your child cannot make their own informed decisions, or they ask you to make the decision for them because they don't understand, then that's a different matter altogether.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Emphatic yes, the vaccine lowers risk of cervical cancer as well as head and neck cancer.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    NO.
    When one looks at the actual data on CC rates vs adverse reaction reports, those receiving the vaccine are more likely to harmed by the vaccine than ever getting cancer.
    Look up Gardisil related deaths. There are a lot.

Also, a study that came out years before this found a direct correlation between rates of cervical cancer that could be linked to HPV and sexual activity before the age of 18. The study found that the immune system in adult women can defend against HPV quite well, while the adolescent cannot.
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't have children yet but I wouldn't do it until a few decades later.. so it's a no. You never know what the side effects could be and it only protects against a few strains .. but not all and I believe not the most dangerous (although I could be wrong) just teach them self sex practices when their older and how important testing is!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does anyone know. After reading this I am wondering if I could get the vaccine. They say you have to get it before age 26 or something. But, I have only had sex with my husband since age 20 (I had sex with other people before that). So, what's the difference if I got it at age 25 or I get it now at 38? I guess I have to ask my doctor. Also, thanks to everyone that provided helpful info. I understand why parents worry about this one because of bad reports. Also if they don't know how prevalent cervical cancer is. My heart goes out to everyone that has gone through that. My daughter hasn't gotten it yet. But, I will have her get it sometime in these next couple years. My younger daughter also when she is older. The only thing is that I have a neurological injury from medical injury, and one of my Neurologists said I have hypersensitivity to meds. So, maybe it wouldn't be good for me. I guess I can ask my Rheumatologist (and Neurologist).