Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Opinions on soy?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Soy is not easy to avoid in the USA. In fact, my father just bought what he thought was pure extra Virgin olive oil... But the primary ingredient was soy oil!

I was kind of surprised to see soy in so many brands of tuna "in water." Why does it even have to be in there?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Soy is not easy to avoid in the USA. In fact, my father just bought what he thought was pure extra Virgin olive oil... But the primary ingredient was soy oil!

I was kind of surprised to see soy in so many brands of tuna "in water." Why does it even have to be in there?

They feed the farmed fish GMO soy because it is cheap.

Your tirelessness is impressive.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have you tried switching to organic to see if you'll stop having allergies when the soy and peanuts don't have GMOs in them?

I've been allergic to soy since 1978. I'm REALLY certain there were no GMOs in 1978.

And I can't wait for GMO peanuts (which don't exist yet). They're working on allergen-free strains of peanuts through genetic modification. It'll be fantastic.

Edited to Add:
    Are you willing to put up a large sum of cash to pay for my medical expenses and provide death benefits to my family after giving me advice that if followed is likely to prove fatal?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love soy. I'm hypothyroid, I eat soy, and my thyroid levels have been stable on a dose of medication that hasn't changed in decades.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching to organic to see if you'll stop having allergies when the soy and peanuts don't have GMOs in them?

I've been allergic to soy since 1978. I'm REALLY certain there were no GMOs in 1978.

And I can't wait for GMO peanuts (which don't exist yet). They're working on allergen-free strains of peanuts through genetic modification. It'll be fantastic.

Edited to Add:
    Are you willing to put up a large sum of cash to pay for my medical expenses and provide death benefits to my family after giving me advice that if followed is likely to prove fatal?
    I thought you were one of these who understood gazebo effects.

"gazebo effects"
  • guinevere96
    edited August 2016
    Options

Edited to Add:
    I thought you were one of these who understood gazebo effects.

"gazebo effects"

Yeah. Your knowledge of the outcome casts shade on the results, hence gazebo.

Maybe im just dense but I thought were referring to the placebo effect and possibly mistyped, my apologies if im incorrect.
  • wiferichie1
    wiferichie1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid soy, because it found in so many things as it is. Of course, when I'm eating clean, I can avoid it pretty easily ha.... but I also have a finicky thyroid, so I avoid it even more so. I prefer almond and cashew milk over soy milk (we do not drink cows milk anymore) .

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If this has already been mentioned, please disregard. In the US, for most foods, it's required to state on the label if the food contains any of the big-hitter allergens, like soy, wheat, nuts, dairy to name a few. It's also required to state whether the product was manufactured on shared equipment or in a shared facility with any of the allergens. this can be really helpful if you're trying to avoid specific foods. I don't know if this is true in other countries.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @mph323 the EU, Britain, and now the USA do not require special disclosure for soybean oil.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Maybe I'll give it a try, depending on the nutrient profile. I'll check it out in the store next time I go.

I do like to try new things, just to be sure haha.

I bought cashew milk based on this thread; the taste is great, very creamy, and I prefer it now to almond milk. However, if you're looking for a protein source -- these don't do it. They have a lot less protein per ounce than soy.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    mheadden1 wrote: »
    To put it simply. Soy does increase estrogen but in moderation for females is fine.
    Almond milk is a diet killer. Look at all the added sugar.

My unsweetened vanilla almond milk has a big fat 0g of sugar.

Because it's unsweetened, of course there's no sugar. Almond Breeze vanilla has 10g of sugar, which I wouldn't consider high since my 2% cow milk has 12g.

I thought there may have been naturally occurring sugars floating around in there like in cows milk which is also unsweetened, as honestly i never thought to check the sugar content in my Almond milk.. until now.
    My "opinion" on soy is the same as aspartame, they may say it's safe but i'm erring on the side of caution and choosing not to consume it.

So you're not consuming anything on this list?

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=SCOGS

I dare say i consume plenty of things on that list, i only got up to page 3. Honestly i wouldn't be comparing the FDA to FSA, there are many substances available in America that are totally banned here.

But yeah, soy and aspartame are pretty easy to avoid, and that's what i'm doing. The title of this thread is opinions, and i gave mine.

And i know the comeback will be if you believed everything you read you'd be living on air, as there are pro and con articles on everything, and yes i said articles, not studies because i know that will be thrown back at me too. The bottom line is you do you, i'll do me, simples.
    @Christine_72
    :smiley::+1:

The link above takes me to this... FDA Internet Application Site (Accessdata) Error
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    @mph323 the EU, Britain, and now the USA do not require special disclosure for soybean oil.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that. Makes the allergen disclosure a lot less useful.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Soya milk hasn't killed me, yet.

My analysis of "almond milk" is that you might as well drink sugar water.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Soy in excess destroys my stomach....the isolated soy protein destroys my actual stomach and then soy in general just causes some issues in the bowel area...don't want to get too tmi lol
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I became lactose intolerant in my early-20s and I immediately switched to soy milk... within the year I also obtained a soy allergy. I wasn't even consuming much.

At this point in my life, I don't drink (almond, rice, cows, soy etc...) milk at all but I DO occasionally add coconut milk to my coffee!
  • guinevere96
    Options
    My opinion on soy is that I like some soy products and they have never bothered me, and they help my little brother's lactose intolerance, but since my boyfriend is deathly allergic to soy products and legumes we tend to keep it out of the house except in soy sauce form. And I know some aren't fond of almond milk in this thread but I drink chocolate almond milk almost every morning and I adore it :)