How important is sodium?

2»

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's an essential electrolyte...you can definitely have too little, particularly if you're training and also drinking a lot of water. IMO the sodium fear mongering has caused a lot of problems...yes, you can have too much but you can also have too little...and unfortunately a lot of people just don't seem to understand that there's this huge middle ground in there that is perfectly acceptable.

What does your sodium intake look like?
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    That is too much water. The eight cups a day that MFP recommends is good for most people. Keep in mind that we get liquids in our foods too.

^^^ no! This is such wrong information!!

8 cups is the MINIMUM recommendation.

There is absolutely no science behind that recommendation, the whole culture of hyperhydration was developed as a way of selling sports drinks. Trust your thirst......

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

OP based on your water consumption (probably way more than you need, I'd be spending the whole day peeing if i drank that much) and exercise you're getting way too little sodium. You're a prime candidate for hyponatremia (which has killed people.....) cut back on your water and eat a bag of potato chips stat!

Would you recommend adding low calorie sauces that are high in salt like soy sauce? I bought some sea salt should I add that?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    That is too much water. The eight cups a day that MFP recommends is good for most people. Keep in mind that we get liquids in our foods too.

^^^ no! This is such wrong information!!

8 cups is the MINIMUM recommendation.

There is absolutely no science behind that recommendation, the whole culture of hyperhydration was developed as a way of selling sports drinks. Trust your thirst......

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

OP based on your water consumption (probably way more than you need, I'd be spending the whole day peeing if i drank that much) and exercise you're getting way too little sodium. You're a prime candidate for hyponatremia (which has killed people.....) cut back on your water and eat a bag of potato chips stat!

Would you recommend adding low calorie sauces that are high in salt like soy sauce? I bought some sea salt should I add that?

If you like the flavour go for it. I'm not sure I'd pay extra for sea salt vs regular table salt but then again I'm a cheapskate.....
This discussion has been closed.