Do you count lettuce?

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited July 2016
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    Y'all do realize that weighing lettuce is about as anal as you can get?

I log single almonds and single m&ms in my diary.

That's even more anal than weighing lettuce. How many calories in one almond? Are all almonds the same size?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

That's even more anal than weighing lettuce. How many calories in one almond? Are all almonds the same size?

That is why you weigh them! Soon she will not need to weigh anything because she will know.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    As long as what you are doing is working whatever you don't weigh doesn't matter (whether it's lettuce or M&Ms or fish oil capsules). When whatever you are doing stops working then start weighing all the stuff you don't weigh.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    I just overestimate by putting 100 grams, knowing its never going to be that high. I often overeatimate my cals bcause I don't bother the scales.
  • HiCarol1
    HiCarol1 Posts: 34 Member
    I don't. Lettuce is about 5 calories per cup. And I know I won't eat 4 or 5 cups of lettuce to make me feel like those calories will make a difference
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    I don't weigh lettuce....or herbs, some condiments and some vegetables either. If iv had a gain or even stayed the same usually a McDonald's or Chinese takeaway is the culprit.... and not that lettuce I didn't weigh.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Why wouldn't you count it? Because there are not many calories? The little bites and tastes of things don't have a lot of calories either, but they all add up over the day and could make a difference.
    I count everything I eat and drink.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Just curious, who hear actually weighs and counts lettuce?

Yes, I count everything. There's no reason to count some thing and not others.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2016
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yes, I count everything. There's no reason to count some thing and not others.

Sure there's a reason. Because it's a waste of time and doesn't affect my weight loss. I don't have a food scale and I don't log foods with negligible amounts of calories. I still lose what MFP thinks I should by just using the database and eating 50-75% of my exercise calories back. If it stops working I'll try the weigh everything approach.

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 210 Member

There's about 12 calories in 2grams of almonds.. which is about one large almond.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Related to counting veggies, I sometimes buy the little snack trays of veggies and dip, but I don't trust the calorie counts. Unless I'm in a real rush, I weigh them out.

I just had a Taylor Farms broccoli/carrot/tomato and dip tray. The stated calorie count was 110 (30 from veggies). After weighing, it came out to 133 calories (53 from veggies, and I didn't actually eat all of the carrots). That's been a pretty consistent finding with all the brands and snack tray types.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I do if I make a salad, but not if I just put a few pieces on a sandwich or on tacos.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Some of the things I don't count include a leaf of lettuce for a burger (I count it if I make a salad), a stick of gum and herbs for cooking. On the flip side, I also don't count cleaning my house, yard work, hiking, swimming or weight training as burning extra calories.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2016
    I bet your husband loves that.

While I can be all about the innuendo, this isn't the place.

Oh, I don't know... It's been a tough week. Anything that gives me a giggle these days is in the right place. :)

As long as it is...uh...in the right place...
    :wink:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Some of the things I don't count include a leaf of lettuce for a burger (I count it if I make a salad), a stick of gum and herbs for cooking. On the flip side, I also don't count cleaning my house, yard work, hiking, swimming or weight training as burning extra calories.

This. Except I do log my weight training but don't eat the calories (cause they seem very elevated).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

I log it. I don't usually weigh it. I usually use spinach instead of lettuce though.